General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I did something I said I wouldn't, I rode without a helmet.....

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2006, 02:12 PM
Basz
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: I did something I said I wouldn't, I rode without a helmet.....

Tray - I know exactly what your saying. I too thought I would always ride with a helmet.

Last week while vacationing in Wisconsin the wife and I did 250 miles up the lakeshore from Milwaukee.
I didn't wear a helmet on the whole ride and it felt awesome.
We were on two lane county roads and it was a beautiful day and an awesome ride.

The next day riding into the city I felt more comfortable wearing my helmet in that traffic.

Old 07-10-2006, 02:12 PM
Bluerose

Gets to be over 100 here so I have been experimenting with the t-shirt thing, I have no choice on the helmet...I also think I'm cooler with my switchback jacket on. Got one heck of a tan though (but starting to see the glove line [:@])!

I ride with a 3/4 that has a full face shield or a full. The 3/4 is a good compromise...doesn't look as cool as the half but I did my first chapter ride yesterday which put me in the last group and I got to hear the newbies complaining about getting hit by the bugs. Also gives a bit more protection.

Old 07-10-2006, 03:15 PM
UncleMike
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are already too many freakin laws, laws for this, laws for that and laws for everything else. Putting on a helmet is no gaurantee that you will survive a crash. Teach people how to drive, both cagers and bikers, and you'll save more lives than another freakin helmet law. Did your insurance go down when the seat belt law was inacted? No Way... Same with the helmet laws... Riding with a helmet on is ok, riding without a helmet on is spectacular.. Should be a choice not a law!!!!!

Old 07-10-2006, 03:35 PM
JamieWG
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I think all people in cars should be required to wear a helmet. Passengers included. I mean, look how many lives would be saved, look how many injuries would be prevented.... look how insurance would go down. Your odds of being hurt might be greater on a bike, but there are 100x as many auto accidents that occur. Think of the children and everyone's responsibility to others. I saw the president riding in a car with no helmet. Just think of all the people depending on him. He ought to be ashamed.

Old 07-10-2006, 03:54 PM
TxMoores
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: JBBOOKS

Going without is truly a nice option. We all balance safety vs. comfort when we make that decision.

I rode 440 miles of interstate highway on Saturday. By the end of the day, my neck and upper shoulders were exhausted from the wind pulling back on my helmet. I wish I could have taken it off, but NY is a mandatory helmet state.[:@]

I truly believe we should "let those who ride, decide".
JBBOOKS,

I see your problem now.... the below must be a photo of you on Saturday.....

Old 07-10-2006, 10:24 PM
mp
Stellar HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

ORIGINAL: lil_gmac2

I did it before in Hawaii and I didn't feel comfortable at all. Now I where my full face 90% of the time.
You where it....wear?

Old 07-10-2006, 10:50 PM
route2null0
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If a federal law is coming... the lawmakers that sign this bill will get a personal visit from yours truly.

Old 07-10-2006, 11:16 PM
atomic
Road Warrior

Helmet have been mandatory here since 1992. Pre-helmet law days I didn't wear helmet all the time. In winter I would always wear a full helmet. In summer sometimes 3/4 sometimes nothing. If I was riding with a girl who wouldn't wear a helmet I wouldn't put one on (That would make you look like a real sissy). When I was riding with friends without helmets I wouldn't wear one. If it was over 95 degrees I wouldn't wear one.

Now I always wear a 3/4s helmet. If they repealed the law I would always wear a helmet. I am 41 and have more sense than when I was 21. When I was 21 I also road a bike so drunk that I couldn't stand up. I wouldn't dream of doing that now. I have seen people with brain injuries caused by not wearing a helmet. I don't want to end up there. Sure it would be nice to have wind blowing through my hair but that isn't the risk I am willing to take.

Old 07-10-2006, 11:59 PM
wlbowers
Stellar HDF Member

Received 101 Likes on 44 Posts

Well this is a typical helmet thread.

We have had all the against comments you usually see, and most of the for that come along.

Personally I think it is dumb to ride without a helmet. (not a personal attack on anyone. just my personal view)

I will always ride with one.

Old 07-11-2006, 12:23 AM
madcitycustom
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whenever I rode Off-road and motorcross, I always wore a full face helmet. I've been knocked unconscious after hitting a tree and have had a few other wrecks where the helmet really saved some wear and tear on my head. When I changed the fluids the first time on the bob, I decided to take a quick spin around the area, sans helmet, and bring it back to see if I had any leaks. Just a quick little ride. Damn, man was that great. No obstruction, no constriction, no nothing. Only freedom. Wisconsin is a helmet free state, but I see a lot of helmets, especially half-helmets. Illinois is a helmet free state, and I hardly ever see helmets used, maybe 5-10%. The problem with life is that the accidents don't occur when you anticipate them. Those nice country roads with few vehicles on them are loaded with deer, turkeys, and other animals that scurry across. I've known people that hit a raccoon and were thrown from their bike and died due to head injuries with no helmet. How much protection does a half helmet offer? I know they say the full face are the best, but has anyone seen any crash studies that showed the difference between the types?

Quick Reply: I did something I said I wouldn't, I rode without a helmet.....