General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I did something I said I wouldn't, I rode without a helmet.....

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2006, 12:13 PM
George C
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: I did something I said I wouldn't, I rode without a helmet.....

It's your choice, and choices shouldn't be taken away.
Having said that, I never have, and never will ride one foot without a helmet.

I look at it a little differently.
I't not my choice, but my responsibility to be here for my family and my business, so I try to protect my life and what little brains I have out of responsibility to them.
To each, his own, and that is what makes America the greatest.

Old 07-10-2006, 12:14 PM
lil_gmac2
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did it before in Hawaii and I didn't feel comfortable at all. Now I where my full face 90% of the time.

Old 07-10-2006, 12:17 PM
ApeKing
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Wont be a problem for long. Within the next few years I would be shocked if there isnt a FEDERAL helmet law. I also believe as adults it should be our choice. I dont mind a few provisions like the insurance provisions most states already have but think they are completely unenforcable.But mark my words a federal helemt law IS coming!

Old 07-10-2006, 12:38 PM
cutacroshorty
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've often wondered what difference in insurance cost would be if we all had to wear helmets like we do the safety belts? I would think it would be a little like health insurance, if the insurance underwriter knew you smoked, would it make a difference in your health or life insurance cost? Just a thought.

Old 07-10-2006, 12:42 PM
Coaster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

My guess is it is cheaper for the insurance if you died rather then where severly injured. That would be beneficial for health insurance providers. Life insurance is a different stroy of course.

ORIGINAL: cutacroshorty

I've often wondered what difference in insurance cost would be if we all had to wear helmets like we do the safety belts? I would think it would be a little like health insurance, if the insurance underwriter knew you smoked, would it make a difference in your health or life insurance cost? Just a thought.

Old 07-10-2006, 12:46 PM
wolf1477
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ut oh...******'s gonna go insane (er?). Stay away from the DarkSide! They lure ya in with all these promises of girls and wind (I distinctly remember hearing the word "blow")...then they crush ya to the pavement and dance on yer head and it's hard to land a girl when yer face looks like it lost a fight with an endloader.

Nah, every once in a while it feels good to let the wind work its magic on ya, like someone said tho...don't get too used to it...hard to make yerself go back.

Wolf

Old 07-10-2006, 12:49 PM
GaryWayne
Cruiser

I live in a state where it is required but when I have been in non helmet states I have ridden some without one. Its nice just putting down main street without one when its 90 out but I find I'm much more comforatble at highway speed with the helmet. Thats just not fram a safety thing but comfort.

Old 07-10-2006, 01:23 PM
scrawfordFLSTC
Outstanding HDF Member

It's interesting to me how many people wear a helmet when not required by law, which is fine, there is certainly nothing wrong with protecting your melon. I'm in Indiana (non-helmet law state) and hardly anyone wears them. Something I do find humorous is my neighbors. Husband and wife have a Road Glide, Sporty and a Buell. When the woman rides the Sporty she does not wear a helmet, but when she rides the Buell, she wears one every time...more likely to crash the Buell?!?! Who knows. Anyway, I think the rider should have the choice.

Old 07-10-2006, 01:28 PM
cjmilez
Ultimate HDF Member

I live in TX and we don't have to wear helmets. Years ago, there were so many people running around without helmets...enjoying the law, but now I seem to see more people wearing helmets than not. I personally wear a helmet at all times...and just recently went from a half helmet to a 3/4 helmet. I love it at higher speeds too...more comfortable than the half at higher speeds.
Coming back from the R.O.T. Rally this year in Austin, one of our local chapter members (and great friend) decided to strap the helmet on the sissybar and ride without on the way home. In Waco, on I35, going 65mph, the lady in front of him slammed on her brakes (tire in the rode) and he collided into the rear....enough said...I saw it, and my friend (who did miraculously survive) will never be the same. I guess once you see something like that or experience it, then your personal decisions change. I got out yesterday and rode 150 miles with my new 3/4 helmet (HD JET helmet) and believe me, it's hot here in TX...but I rode with confidence and assurance and had the best damn ride of my life!
Candace

Old 07-10-2006, 01:53 PM
Alien Spyder
Grand HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Massachusetts is a mandatory helmet law state although there is active legislation to change that.
I live just three minutes from Connecticut where there is no helmet law.
Sometimes I wear it, sometimes I don't. It's nice to have the choice.

Quick Reply: I did something I said I wouldn't, I rode without a helmet.....