General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Garage flooring

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 08:16 AM
Chicago Bob
Road Master
Received 40 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Garage flooring

Thinking of doing the garage floor with Racedeck flooring (or something similar). My plan is a sort of a black and white checkerboard pattern except where the Harley sits. There I'll put black and orange Harley logo tiles.

Any comments/suggestions on this type of flooring? The concrete floor is in brand new (just poured a few weeks ago) and has been sealed. Definitely will be exposed to freeze/thaw cycles and salt.

Old 11-09-2009, 08:26 AM
DoomBuggy
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just laid a similar floor, I got the tiles from www.bigfloors.com, very good prices and the tiles are interchangeable with the RaceDeck pieces. I will try to post a picture tonight. I went with a light gray/silver tile with black and orange accents.

About my only thing you have to get used to is the sound of your feet as you walk across them. Since they are plastic and are not glued down they do make a "clicking" sound.

I was thinking about glueing them down with a thin coat of Mastic, but then decided I like the ability to remove one if it gets burned or otherwise screwed up. Also that extra air gap under them makes them a bit warmer if you end up working beneath a car!

Old 11-09-2009, 08:37 AM
HDUltraRider
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DoomBuggy
I just laid a similar floor, I got the tiles from www.bigfloors.com, very good prices and the tiles are interchangeable with the RaceDeck pieces. I will try to post a picture tonight. I went with a light gray/silver tile with black and orange accents.

About my only thing you have to get used to is the sound of your feet as you walk across them. Since they are plastic and are not glued down they do make a "clicking" sound.

I was thinking about glueing them down with a thin coat of Mastic, but then decided I like the ability to remove one if it gets burned or otherwise screwed up. Also that extra air gap under them makes them a bit warmer if you end up working beneath a car!

how tight do they fit down with out mastik, I have a floating floor in my garage due to water and will need to leave the gap between the wall and the floor open so I will not be able to go wall to wall?

Old 11-09-2009, 08:46 AM
DoomBuggy
Road Master

I have a pretty small garage, 19X20, and once they are laid in place they are not going to move, lol. When you lay them you use a rubber mallet to snap them together. Once together it is a pretty nice tight fit. I think you would be fine.

Old 11-09-2009, 10:29 AM
Chicago Bob
Road Master

This post seems to have fallen off the board. Had to go to my account to find it. hope it now goes back on the board!

Never mind - there it is. Oooooooopsss!

Old 11-09-2009, 11:18 AM
leeinmemphis
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I LOVE my Racedeck flooring. I did a 3 car garage about two months ago. Even with me moving everything to put the flooring down it only took about 3 hours or so. The only thing I didn't like is that I waited so long to do it. It really is an awesome product.

Old 11-09-2009, 08:19 PM
DoomBuggy
Road Master

OK let's see if I can post a pic of the man cave. Still have a heck of a lot of work to do, but at least all the boxes are unpacked!

Attached Thumbnails Garage flooring-garage.jpg  
Old 11-09-2009, 09:15 PM
Chicago Bob
Road Master

Doom Buggy,

Very nice. Does da wife park her car on the street?

Got a quote from Race Deck today. A little pricey, so I have to ask myself two questions:
1 Am I and the Harley worth it? Yes
2. Will da wife throw a sh%t fit when she sees how much? Yes, but remember those words from husband school, "She'll get over it!"

Besides, she gets half the garage, the Harley the other. My car stays outside on the drive. Years ago, I cleaned up the toys, etc. in the garage one Sunday so I could get my car, as well as da wifes, in it. When I came home Monday from work, all my daughters toys were on my side of the garage. She was about 6 or 7 years old. "Christy, why are all your toys on my side of the garage?" To which she says, "Because mommy parks her car on the other side!"

Definitely going to do something in the next few weeks, but need to look around at the different tiles on the market.

Old 11-09-2009, 09:37 PM
DoomBuggy
Road Master

Originally Posted by Chicago Bob
Doom Buggy,

Very nice. Does da wife park her car on the street?

Got a quote from Race Deck today. A little pricey,
We have a slab next to the garage for her car and the truck. I told her we could build a nice 3.5 car garage and she could park inside, but for the additional cost she agreed to leave the garage to me.

Check out BigFloors, they were significantly cheaper then racedeck and you can not tell the difference.