General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speaking of Dealer Attitude's

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 02:04 PM
Tex42
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Speaking of Dealer Attitude's

I own two Harley's and recently decided to sale one--so I taped a "For Sale" sign on it and ride it around town. Recently, on a Sat. morning, I rode it over to the local (only one around) Harley Dealership.
While inside at the parts counter, I got a call on my cell from the co-owner of the store. He told me in no uncertain terms to get the sign off my bike or get off his lot. I went outside to speak with him and he told me that if he allowed me to park on his lot with the "for sale" sign, then his lot would soon fill up with bikes for sale.
Needless to say, the conversation went down hill fast, I told him what he could do with his dealership and left--never to return.
If you ever find yourself in deep South TX with a " for sale" sign on your bike, don't go to Rio Grande Valley Harley in McAllen cause they will run you off.

The following users liked this post:
Snowfan (01-07-2021)
Old 11-08-2009, 02:21 PM
mastery
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You'll have that.

Old 11-08-2009, 02:46 PM
KingCripps
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Smile

I can't speak to Texas law, but in Wisconsin it is illegal to have a vehicle with a for sale sign on the streets. Any vehicle that is licensed and registered. If you park it with a sign, it better be on private property or it could be ticketed. Of course, I see them all the time and was warned once, but that is the law.

That being said, how about parking it on the street in front???

Old 11-08-2009, 02:54 PM
davessworks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Tex42
I own two Harley's and recently decided to sale one--so I taped a "For Sale" sign on it and ride it around town. Recently, on a Sat. morning, I rode it over to the local (only one around) Harley Dealership.
While inside at the parts counter, I got a call on my cell from the co-owner of the store. He told me in no uncertain terms to get the sign off my bike or get off his lot. I went outside to speak with him and he told me that if he allowed me to park on his lot with the "for sale" sign, then his lot would soon fill up with bikes for sale.
Needless to say, the conversation went down hill fast, I told him what he could do with his dealership and left--never to return.
If you ever find yourself in deep South TX with a " for sale" sign on your bike, don't go to Rio Grande Valley Harley in McAllen cause they will run you off.
I can't say I'm terribly surprised. If you had a Ford Mustang and parked it in the Ford dealers lot what do you think they'd do? I realize you were just there to pick stuff up but it may not have seemed that way to the dealer. I think this is one of those cases of try to put yourself in his shoes . . .

Last edited by davessworks; 11-08-2009 at 09:10 PM.
Old 11-08-2009, 02:55 PM
TexasFLHX
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can definately understand your frustration with this dealership. With that said, I think he has valid point too. Now don't get me wrong I don't personally think 1 for sale bike on his lot would attract more for sale bikes, i do think it could jeopardize his chances of selling a used bike seeing your for sale sign adds more competition on his own lot.........

Old 11-08-2009, 04:19 PM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 447 Likes on 251 Posts
Thumbs down For Sale, Money, & Let the man buy his parts and ride on.

Let the man buy his parts and ride on. Too much attention is focused on money and not enough is focused on the lifestyle. Early in this century the shops were small, there was no T-Shirt department, the parts man rode a Harley and knew were the parts were and what would fit what bike. He also know how to modify or substitute a part because the correct one was out of stock and you needed to get back on the road.

We are in the age of computers, no parts in stock, Harley wants to patent the sound of Potato ~Potato, the only thing in stock are T-Shirts, boots, and chrome add on parts, all made in China. Hell, the Honda's are more American that a Harley! With that said, let the man get his parts and ride on...

Old 11-08-2009, 04:22 PM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

The dealer sounds like a ***** to me. You weren't parking it there where you? Just a drive in and out kinda thing?

Old 11-08-2009, 04:50 PM
rk62
Cruiser

My dealer offered me a post on their bulletin board when I was trying to sell one of my bikes.

Old 11-08-2009, 05:11 PM
StreetGlider56
Road Warrior

I would have went and got lunch and parked right across the street from his stealership, and had an extended lunch...

Old 11-08-2009, 05:30 PM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

That dealer is a douchbag, IMO. Sure, I could see him saying something if you dropped your bike off at his lot and wanted it to sit there all day. But, to say something to a riding customer popping in is over the top....Yep, my dealer also has a classified board that he welcomes private sales of bikes, parts, and accessories.

Quick Reply: Speaking of Dealer Attitude's