General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Veteran's Day...

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 01:45 PM
94fatboy
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Veteran's Day...

I know this has nothing to do with HD but thought it deserved the attention it would get in the general chat...Mods you are more then welcome to move this if you want..

Thanks and God bless to all veterans and current military personnel!!

Luke AFB is west of Phoenix and is rapidly being surrounded bycivilization that complains about the noise from the base and its planes, forgetting that it was there long before they were. A certain lieutenant colonel at Luke AFB deserves a big pat on theback. Apparently, an individual who lives somewhere near Luke AFB wrote the local paper complaining about a group of F-16s that disturbed his/her day at the mall.

When that individual read the response from a Luke AFB officer, it mustHave stung quite a bit.

The complaint:
'Question of the day for Luke Air Force Base:

Whom do we thank for the morning air show? Last Wednesday, atprecisely 9:11 A.M, a tight formation of four F-16 jets made a lowpass over Arrowhead Mall, continuing west over Bell Road atapproximately 500 feet. Imagine our good fortune! Do the Tom Cruise-wannabes feel we need this wake-up call, or were theytrying to impress the cashiers at Mervyns early bird special?

Any response would be appreciated.

The response:

Regarding 'A wake-up call from Luke's jets' On June 15, atprecisely 9:12 a.m., a perfectly timed four- ship fly by of F-16s from the 63rd Fighter Squadron at Luke Air Force Base flew over the grave ofCapt. Jeremy Fresques. Capt Fresques was an Air Force officer who was previously stationed at Luke Air Force Base and was killed in Iraq on May 30, Memorial Day.

At 9 a. m. on June 15, his family and friends gathered at SunlandMemorial Park in Sun City to mourn the loss of a husband, son andfriend. Based on the letter writer's recount of the fly by, and because ofthe jet noise, I'm sure you didn't hear the 21-gun salute, the playing of taps, or my words to the widow and parents of Capt. Fresques asI gave them their son's flag on behalf of the President of theUnited States and all those veterans and servicemen and women who understand the sacrifices they have endured..

A four-ship fly by is a display ofrespect the Air Force gives to those who give their lives in defense offreedom. We are professional aviators and take our jobs seriously, and on June 15 what the letter writer witnessed was four officers lining up to pay their ultimate respects.

The letter writer asks, 'Whom do we thank for the morning airshow? The 56th Fighter Wing will make the call for you, and forwardyour thanks to the widow and parents of Capt Fresques, and thank themfor you, for it was in their honor that my pilots flew the most honorableformation of their lives.

Only 2 defining forces have ever offered to die for you....JesusChrist and the American Soldier.
One died for your soul, the otherfor your freedom.

Lt. Col. Scott Pleus

USAF

Last edited by 94fatboy; 11-08-2009 at 02:52 PM.
Old 11-08-2009, 01:50 PM
matt25
Road Captain

boom. i bet that bitch was fealing 2 feet tall as she read that.

Old 11-08-2009, 02:26 PM
Branded 1
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is the GREATEST article I've read in a long time.

The whiner needs to be thankful they have the freedom do go to the mall

Old 11-08-2009, 02:28 PM
BobStreetBob
Outstanding HDF Member

Hoo-ah!

Old 11-08-2009, 02:35 PM
2DEUCE2
Road Master

I have worked in aviation all of my life as a pilot and as a mechanic just as my father and grandfather. All over the country, owners of houses built 50 - 90 years AFTER the airport are whining and crying that airplanes make noise and try everything to get the airports closed. Not all, but most of these neighborhoods that are in "airport noise areas" have to sign a form stating that they understand that they are in that area, yet they still complain. They don't complain when they are on one to Hawaii, or to attend their dead relatives funeral across the country. They don't have a problem with aircraft when they traveling to an important business meeting that gets their paycheck either. They all seem to have an issue with aircraft that they aren't utilizing at that very moment though. They hate the ones that fly in and deliver their packages, defend our nation, keep our economy alive, etc...

I live less than 1/4 of a mile away from the departure end of LAX (Los Angeles International Airport). For those who don't believe me, Google map West Imperial Ave, El Segundo, CA 90245. My wife and I love our house and the noise is not that noticeable. I live right next to one of the busiest airports in the world and we hardly notice the aircraft. You can hear them, but it doesn't have any impact on our lives whatsoever. All of those who complain are selfish dumb bastards. I hope the widow spits on the complaining ladies face.

Old 11-08-2009, 02:43 PM
faber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I find it hard to believe that and active duty LTC would have written that closing paragraph in a public forum.

Anyone have a link to this?

Old 11-08-2009, 02:48 PM
94fatboy
Tourer

Originally Posted by faber
I find it hard to believe that and active duty LTC would have written that closing paragraph in a public forum.

Anyone have a link to this?

anything for you!!

As in most things I have little doubt stuff gets added as it moves across the net

http://www.truthorfiction.com/rumors/l/lukeafb.htm

Last edited by 94fatboy; 11-08-2009 at 02:54 PM.
Old 11-08-2009, 02:50 PM
94fatboy
Tourer

Even better here is the following letter published apologizing for being such an ***...

I read with increasing embarrassment and humility the response to my
unfortunate letter to The Republic concerning an Air Force flyby ("A
wake-up call from Luke's jets," Letters, June 23).

I had no idea of the significance of the flyby, and would never have
insulted such a fine and respectful display had I known.

I have received many calls from the fine airmen who are serving or have
served at Luke, and I have attempted to explain my side and apologized
for any discomfort my letter has caused.

This was simply an uninformed citizen complaining about noise.

I have been made aware in both written and verbal communications of the
four-ship flyby, and my heart goes out to each and every lost serviceman
and woman in this war in which we are engaged.

I have been called un-American by an unknown caller and I feel that I
must address that. I served in the U.S. Navy and am a Vietnam veteran. I
love my country and respect the jobs that the service organizations are
doing.

Please accept my heartfelt apologies.

Tom MacRae, Peoria

Old 11-08-2009, 02:57 PM
faber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 94fatboy
Thanks. The info at that link presents some of the correct details and also includes the follow-up letter of apology.

Snopes also mentions the name-change of the AF officer and includes more info.

The story at the heart of that is a good one, and all should be familiar with it. But it got bounced around the internet, had details changed, or added, and it became something else.

I smelled something foul when LTC "Rosensteel" was writing about the issue and using it as a chance to advance a religious agenda. The original letters praised the memory and honor of CPT Fresques.

Old 11-08-2009, 06:21 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,838 Likes on 2,548 Posts

There was a similar situation near the Pinecastle bombing range in central Fl. during the mid 80's. A local market owner was complaining about all the noise during weapons delivery practice and close air support practice. Our Maint. Chief told the owner he won't have to worry about that pilot bothering him anymore and the they would relay the store owners concerns about the noise to the pilots widow. IT'S NOT NOISE IT'S THE SOUND OF FREEDOM! To all the vets out there Thank You for your service.