General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brother Speed MC: Letter response to pile up accident

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 09:57 AM
truckerdave
senior experienced all-knowing leader of the unwise
Received 347 Likes on 177 Posts

We don't use the word "outlaw" club. Only law enforcement and the media use that terminology, like an "OMG"(outlaw motorcycle gang). That's laughable as we would never refer to ourselves as that. To me an "Outlaw" means just that. A member of the Outlaws and nothing else.

Old 11-09-2009, 12:25 PM
*NIGHT TRAIN*
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The letter was a public expression of gratitude and "thanks", and that alone is rare in this day and age...kudos to Brother Speed MC for taking that action...and I'm not interested in nit picking it for ANY reason...

Old 11-09-2009, 12:33 PM
stupid_rope
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I thought the 1%er question was a joke until someone else asked...

I'm with train* on this. Gratitude these days is hard to come by.

Old 11-09-2009, 12:39 PM
Whackone
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by piasspj
I would bet that all of my teachers are guilty of misspelling a word or two.
Alcohol induced errror?

Old 11-09-2009, 12:40 PM
The Shute
Club Member
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Nicely written. Used to occasionally have drinks with the Bend chapter. Well done Duetro.

Old 11-09-2009, 12:45 PM
jimsflh
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Madav8tr
Are they a 1% club? I couldn't see a 1% diamond, only the standard 3 piece MC patch.

Not all 1%'rs wear the 1%'r diamond, they are usually denoted by the 3 patch set up, and the "MC". Google 1%'r Motorcycle clubs and you'll see lot's of varying info. The ones around here are all pretty cool guys, show them respect, and you'll get it back.

Old 11-09-2009, 12:47 PM
fastjoe
Road Warrior
Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

The guy that wrote the letter is a biker not an English professor. Some people just have to make a negative comment about everything. If I recieved a letter of thanks from someone, I wouldn't care if every other word was spelled wrong. It's the thoughts behind the letter that count. Take your spell check and stick it up your ***. Perfect grammar and spelling is not always an indication of real intelligence. Now go ahead and pick out all my spelling errors if you have nothing better to do.

Old 11-09-2009, 01:34 PM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by fastjoe
The guy that wrote the letter is a biker not an English professor.
Yup. He was a biker writing to a newspaper with the idea his letter would be printed and read by many thousands of people. He was representing Brother Speed. Taking two seconds to click spell check, and five minutes to have someone else read it for clarity wouldn't have been a problem.

Some people just have to make a negative comment about everything.
Well, I suppose your negative comments here might indicate you feel a need to do so about everything, maybe not.

Some of us learned, long ago, that perception is truer than reality, and that you can control how people perceive you, and perhaps those like you. The ability to write and speak well play a huge role in those perceptions, especially in a first meeting or with those with whom you have limited contact. It's not a matter of being MENSA level, or English major level, but simply being able to do so well enough and with sufficient clarity to make your point. Blatant spelling errors and/or grammar provide the perception, true or not, of being uneducated.

If I recieved a letter of thanks from someone, I wouldn't care if every other word was spelled wrong.
Nor would I. However, if they wanted me to publish it, I would correct it for spelling and clarity to whatever extent I could without changing the message (as is true of most publishers). If I were to make such changes, I would have them approved by the original author before publication.

It's the thoughts behind the letter that count.
Unless it's for publication. Then, spelling & grammar count.

Take your spell check and stick it up your ***.
Interesting offer. Why do you have an interest in my ***?

Perfect grammar and spelling is not always an indication of real intelligence.
Measuring "real" intelligence is illusive. Most tests which claim to do so only measure knowledge. Knowledge is a single component of intelligence. Having knowledge with no ability to put it to practical use is worthless. One can have knowledge of proper spelling and grammar, but it is in the ability to communicate this knowledge is put to use.

Now go ahead and pick out all my spelling errors if you have nothing better to do.
Always something better to do, but, I do appreciate you sharing your thoughts with me.

Old 11-09-2009, 02:02 PM
harleyguy5571
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 88 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by *NIGHT TRAIN*
The letter was a public expression of gratitude and "thanks", and that alone is rare in this day and age...kudos to Brother Speed MC for taking that action...and I'm not interested in nit picking it for ANY reason...
Enough said.

Old 11-09-2009, 02:03 PM
JW1200
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 21,404 Likes on 8,422 Posts

Quick Reply: Brother Speed MC: Letter response to pile up accident