General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

check them security fob batteries!

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 04:48 AM
SpoilSport
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rarely use it ... but recently changed the batteries after a couple years.

Old 11-08-2009, 06:23 AM
Sefferdog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Bitter Creek
To use it...
1) Turn on the key
2) Hold down both signal buttons until the light starts flashing
3) enter the first number by pushing the left signal X number of times
4) hit the right signal
...repeat 3 and 4 until all of the numbers are entered
I have an 07 Ultra and for some reason this does not work on mine. What I found out, through trial and error, is that I have to turn the key on, hold both signal buttons for a sec and then turn the key off (can hold 'em forever at this point and it doesn't matter, the odometer is NOT gonna flash). Wait until the little red security key starts to flash again and go back through the process you described. It will always work the second time through the process, but never on the first whack.

Old 11-08-2009, 07:43 AM
hullhorr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 184 Likes on 182 Posts

For an 07 you should have 2 credit card sized tear outs in the back of you owners manual that you can write your personalized security code for manual override on. Keep it in your wallet. It also has directions for how to manually override the FOB as well as transport mode if you trailer it anywhere.

Old 11-08-2009, 07:56 AM
Shank
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hullhorr
For an 07 you should have 2 credit card sized tear outs in the back of you owners manual that you can write your personalized security code for manual override on. Keep it in your wallet. It also has directions for how to manually override the FOB as well as transport mode if you trailer it anywhere.
yep put my card in my wallet and have it if i need it......its not too hard to do,, i will be going thru the manual and change my code and then try to start it after we ride today...gonna be 72 here in southern indiana dont want to waste riding time screwing with it right now........

hey malfunction

"I don't use the security.The salesman at the dealer where I bought my bike demonstrated the security then told me it would run my battery down in 24 hours. I just lock the fork and ignition. "

Thats total BS ya know........

Old 11-08-2009, 07:56 AM
geezer glide 56
Road Warrior
Received 102 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by MaLfUnCtIoN
I don't use the security.The salesman at the dealer where I bought my bike demonstrated the security then told me it would run my battery down in 24 hours. I just lock the fork and ignition.

It sounds like that salesman doesn't have a clue...You got to love people that do something for a living and don't even care enough to learn about the product that are selling.

Old 11-08-2009, 08:18 AM
Romark
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I turn off the ignition and the system on my '07 WG arms itself. Walk up to my bike with my fob in my pocket and it dis-arms itself. I keep that tear out card in my wallet and change my fob batteries every couple of years. (Once so far)

Doesn't get any easier than this system.

I don't really understand how this can be such of a "PITA" for some people.

Old 11-08-2009, 08:18 AM
thirdruffian1
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by txfxstrider
Do you know where your bike is?
I know that mine is within range of my "security system".

Old 11-08-2009, 09:39 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,357 Likes on 2,536 Posts

Originally Posted by MaLfUnCtIoN
I don't use the security.The salesman at the dealer where I bought my bike demonstrated the security then told me it would run my battery down in 24 hours. I just lock the fork and ignition.
you don't mention what year your bike is. if its an 07 or later, if you have security installed, then you are using it all the time. it is a passive system, meaning that you don't arm or disarm it. it is automatic.

like others have said, your salesman doesn't know jack....

Originally Posted by Sefferdog
I have an 07 Ultra and for some reason this does not work on mine. What I found out, through trial and error, is that I have to turn the key on, hold both signal buttons for a sec and then turn the key off (can hold 'em forever at this point and it doesn't matter, the odometer is NOT gonna flash). Wait until the little red security key starts to flash again and go back through the process you described. It will always work the second time through the process, but never on the first whack.
the post by bittercreek is not *exactly* correct. you have to turn the ignition on, then off, then back on again to enter into code entry mode. try that and see if it don't work for you then.

Last edited by skratch; 11-08-2009 at 09:42 AM.
Old 11-08-2009, 09:57 AM
ia2189
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SamStone
I love not having a security system on my bike.
+1 No need for one here in Iowa but I see the necessity for others.

Old 11-08-2009, 10:05 AM
QuickThrottle
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The guy I bought my bike from could not remember the code he used... Doe the dealer have to reset it and if so what would they charge?

Quick Reply: check them security fob batteries!