Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Military HOG Chapter, NAS Sigonella

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2009, 08:38 AM
MaroSteve
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Military HOG Chapter, NAS Sigonella

Thought this was very cool. NAS Sigonella, the NAVY base I'm currently stationed on just started its very own military only HOG Chapter

heres the Article,
By MC3 Jonathan Idle

The first military chapter of the Harley Owners Group (HOG) was officially opened at a meeting Oct. 23 on the support side of Naval Air Station (NAS) Sigonella.
HOG is the officially sanctioned motorcycle club of Harley Davidson which has over 1,400 chapters in 130 countries worldwide.
Kris Schoonover, Director of HOG Field Operations, oversaw the inaugural meeting of the Sigonella Military HOG Chapter.
“The reason that this is a big deal is because this is a military dedicated HOG chapter,” Schoonover said. “It’s basically meant to feel like a U.S. chapter that is not on U.S. soil. It’s just a way to promote camaraderie, to promote riding and having fun.”
Louis Genaro, president of the new Sigonella chapter, believes this new chapter is a great step forward for HOG and its relationship with the U.S. military.
“In my view I think it’s historic because it’s the first military chapter,” Genaro said. “This will put Sigonella on top and hopefully expand out to other military bases as Harley Davidson expands.”
Genaro believes the Hog chapter will bring service members a much needed taste of home while also allowing them to bond with local nationals through joint events with local motorcycle chapters.
“We’re planting a seed and we’re going to watch it grow,” said Genaro. “That’s what’s going to happen here and we’re going to have great benefits reaped from it with the community and the culture. Obviously we have relationships outside of the base and that’s going to grow more and more.”
Schoonover covered some of the perks for members of HOG including a subscription to HOG Magazine, roadside assistance and numerous corporate partnerships, but he believes those are all just secondary to real reward of being a member of HOG.
“The amount of connections and friends that people make just by being a member of HOG is amazing,” Schoonover said. “ I’ve had some fantastic conversations with people that I would never have talked to, but I happen to recognize the HOG symbol and just start conversations which lead to further friendships. HOG is brotherhood, it’s a sisterhood, it’s a family and it’s just a great organization to be a part of.”
heres the link, not sure if it will work if you don't have a facebook.

Old 11-07-2009, 09:49 AM
faber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Very cool!

I always thought HOG chapters were tied to dealers, but, cool!

So do you guys get roadside assistance in Italy?

Old 11-07-2009, 10:20 AM
MaroSteve
Cruiser

haha no we don't.. if you call GEE up (the salesman of the military new car sales) though he will do anything and everything to make sure your safe and your bike gets a truck out there.

He is also the Director of the HOG Chapter.

Old 11-07-2009, 10:21 AM
CrashX
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So what happened to the Liar's Club?

Old 11-07-2009, 10:22 AM
MaroSteve
Cruiser

Originally Posted by CrashX
So what happened to the Liar's Club?
I can't tell if that was calling me a liar or not.
Care to elaborate?

Old 11-07-2009, 12:21 PM
Weevil
Road Warrior
Received 36 Likes on 4 Posts

There ain't any Dairy Queens in Italy. You guys won't have anyplace to hang out.

Old 11-07-2009, 12:27 PM
CrashX
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MaroSteve
I can't tell if that was calling me a liar or not.
Care to elaborate?
When I was stationed there, the local on base riding club was called the Liar's Club.

Old 11-07-2009, 12:49 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

If it's on base, are off base (Italian nationals) riders welcome? I can't imagine enough US personnel would have shipped their bikes over there to even make the effort worthwhile.

Old 11-07-2009, 01:47 PM
MaroSteve
Cruiser

Originally Posted by CrashX
When I was stationed there, the local on base riding club was called the Liar's Club.
ah, sorry for the confusion. No as far as I know the Liar's Club is no more.
Originally Posted by DannyZ71
If it's on base, are off base (Italian nationals) riders welcome? I can't imagine enough US personnel would have shipped their bikes over there to even make the effort worthwhile.
They do alot of events corresponding with Local National Bike clubs and such. GEE is a retired e6 and is married to an Italian. He also speaks fluent Italian and has numerous contacts; he's the mastermind. Also, there are quite a few people who ride harleys out here.. Theres about 15 I see that are out a lot, and when I'm near the gov't housing area I always see 3 or 4

Originally Posted by DD&Weevil
There ain't any Dairy Queens in Italy. You guys won't have anyplace to hang out.
yea man, us Navy guys are all about Dairy Queen

Last edited by MaroSteve; 11-07-2009 at 01:50 PM.
Old 11-07-2009, 02:49 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by DD&Weevil
Originally Posted by MaroSteve
yea man, us Navy guys are all about Dairy Queen

Well, Navy guys may not be all about DQ, but HOG members are!