Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riding the TX Hill Country

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2009, 03:10 AM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

Texas sucks. Riding here is beautiful so come on your Harley and enjoy but please don't move here. Living here sucks. It is getting too crowded. Don't move here. And yes the guv is an idiot. He's trying to toll all our roads. Did I already say don't move here?

Old 11-07-2009, 08:42 AM
Roadie09
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What does the Gov. have to do with riding in the Hill Country? During all of my trips out that way, I have never seen him there.

Old 11-07-2009, 10:11 AM
swestbrook60
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Jukebox
Now that sounds like a great trip. I might have to do something like that too. Since my wife has her own bike and will along,we will be able to cary just what we would need for a trip like that. Only thing is....I need more than a weekend since live in Waxahachie,not really close to anything,I have to ride about an hour before I get to the hill country. Oh and by the way,yes we do have a crappy Govenor.
Hoping to get another sisters trip in this fall myself. With Texas having a budget surplus and one of the lowest unemployment rates in the country during this recession, it looks like we have a better governor than most do.

Old 11-07-2009, 11:15 AM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,132 Likes on 1,030 Posts

I've rode my Harleys coast to coast and boarder to boarder and I always can NOT wait to get back in to Texas. It's just that good!

Old 11-07-2009, 11:22 AM
formike56
Club Member

Plan on going to Big Bend Thanksgiving week for a 3-4 day ride. Plan on spending a night around 3 sisters then south & west to the Big Bend. Then top it off with Terlingua, Alpine, Marathon, Davis Mtns. then head back.....

Old 11-07-2009, 09:08 PM
1968aj
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have been a truck driver for 30 years i haul oilfield pipe to places you or most people would never go when i ride my bike give me the hill country any time

Old 11-07-2009, 09:13 PM
AZdryheat
Road Captain
Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts

We've been visiting in Texas since Wednesday. Currently we are in Waco and are loving the weather. Got my truck so I can't enjoy a ride through the beautiful Texas country side.

Old 11-09-2009, 08:37 AM
Roadie09
Road Warrior

The Hill Country ride was not as enjoyable as I first imagined. Riding 2-up, we did the three sisters loop starting just outside Bandera. The sky opened up and poured rain for the last 80 miles. Those twisty roads are about zero fun in blinding rain, could only average about 40 mph. I suppose if we would have had the sense to pack wet weather gear it would have been a lot better. Made for a long day, but it was all good in the end.

Old 11-09-2009, 09:16 AM
The Whale
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Riding the 3 sisters was awesome, I would recommend doing it when it is cool and NOT during the heat of summer.

Old 11-09-2009, 02:50 PM
doctorharrison
Tourer
Default Texas Hill Country: Ride the Sisters!

Here's a copy of a post of mine from two years back:

leaving from San Antonio take State Hwy 16N to Bandera(cowboy capitol of Texas).

On this ride we head south out of Kerrville to Bandera, Texas, " The Cowboy Capital of the World". Bandera is a 35 mile ride on Highway 16 South

There are quit a few different ways to ride to Bandera. The most direct, but slightly longer way to go is to take Highway 16 South through Kerrville. Highway 16 South changes from a 4 lane road to a two lane once you get over the hills in South Kerrville. If you are a new rider or a beginner this may NOT be the route for you to take. There are a few very sharp turns as you get over the hills into Medina that can unnerve the new rider. One of the turns in particular with have you down into second gear or maybe even into first gear. Once you are past the sharp turns, the rest of the ride is very scenic passing many ranches before coming into Medina.
After you pass the mountain and sharp turns you will see Koyote Ranch on your right heading south on Highway 16. Koyote Ranch offers motorcycle camping and lodging along with gas, food and hospitality. Most weekends the outdoor bar and patio is packed with motorcyclists

Medina, Texas is a very small town with a population of 250. When you enter Medina keep in mind the speed limit is reduced and inforced. Worthy of a stop while in Medina is the Cider Mill and Country Store at Love Creek Orchards. They have everything from gifts to apple ice cream. Their apple pie is truly my favorite. It reminds me of the apple pie that my grandma made.
If you are passing through Medina in the morning hours and are looking for breakfast, stop at Keese's Bar B Q across from the Medina Post Office. The fine, friendly folks at Keese's serve up a big hearty breakfast that is tough to beat anywhere. If you walk away hungry it is your own fault. Of course they also serve excellent barbeque foods throughout the day as well. Once you are thru the town of Medina, you are about half way to Bandera. Once out of Medina the road is mostly flat with plenty of gentle curves as the road follows a path along the banks of the Medina River. Continue on Highway 16 South until you come to the stop light in Bandera at the intersection of State Highways 16 and 173.
Continue straight thru the light into town and you will see the main shopping district, restaurants and watering holes.

Bandera is a small town (population 950) rich in early western history. Bandera is " The Cowboy Capital of the World." Many champion cowboys have come out of Bandera County. After the Civil War, Bandera was used as a staging area for cattle drives to Dodge City and beyond. Each year during Labor Day weekend, Bandera holds a longhorn cattle drive through the streets of Bandera.
on Main Street is Arkey Blue’s Silver Dollar which is another spot to visit for live music. A favorite spot in Bandera among the biker crowd is the 11th Street Cowboy Bar. It is one block west of Main Street. Look for all the parked motorcycles, you can't miss them.
If you are looking for a bite to eat in Bandera I highly recommend Busbee’s BBQ. The food can't be beat. OST restaurant also offers good food and service. The breakfast at OST is as good as it gets!
One other place worth visiting while in Bandera is the Frontier Times Museum on 13th St.
Bandera is a very friendly town when it comes to motorcycles and on most weekends the town is full of bikes. Please...respect the laws of Bandera and the many pedestrians and horses that are on the streets in Bandera. We want to be welcomed back time and time again.
Alternatives to Highway 16 South - Highway 173 South
Another excellent route to Bandera is to take Highway 173 South out of Kerrville, straight

Quick Reply: Riding the TX Hill Country