General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

**engine brake**

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 11:31 AM
max56
Road Warrior
Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

It's how I was taught to ride over 40 years ago. I'm not sure I could change that now. Well, actually...it I saw definite proof that it was harmful...I might be able to. But, in all that time, I've had no problems. As an earlier poster stated, I'm sure the engine and transmission are built to withstand engine braking.

Old 11-05-2009, 12:18 PM
RAP
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Wink

Read your owners manual.

Old 11-05-2009, 12:43 PM
BigGdawg
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by beary
Wear is wear, it just a matter of perspective of what you want to wear compared to how you want to drive. I'm a big time engine braker and been doing it in all my cars, trucks and motorcycles, many of the cars with over 200,000 miles. I've never had a tranny problem from it.

Beary
Me three.

Old 11-05-2009, 12:43 PM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 339 Likes on 195 Posts

Yep, it causes wear, all riding does. You don't want wear, don't ride it at all.

Truth is it causes little wear on the back side of the gear teeth. Look at how the sprockets wear on a chain drive bike. Even with engine braking the front sides wear more.

Old 11-05-2009, 01:07 PM
kingkingking
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The forces involved on the gears from engine braking are much smaller than when the engine is driving you forward. Wear would be much less.

Old 11-05-2009, 01:15 PM
scootertramp
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sh*t! Half the fun of ridin' is gearin down to set up the downhill corner. These things are only machines! Sumpin's gonna break sooner or later! Never lost a tranny cause of it yet. Makes my engine a little angry sometimes though....

Old 11-05-2009, 01:16 PM
1931jamesw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

It seems to me that the tranny on a HD is about the most bullet proof mechanical part of the bike. I wouldnt worry that its wearing it out. Concern yourself with some other more important worries in life.

Old 11-05-2009, 02:18 PM
frog13
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by lp
You should be engine braking. Of all the right reasons to engine brake the number one reason would be: You should always be in the gear proportional with your speed. If you are slowing down and someone goes to pull out in front of you, you want to be in the right gear so you can power out of the situation if need be.

That said, there is no shortage of dumbasses who pull in their clutch and just pop down 5 gears or so while slowing down and then find they are not in the right gear when they need to pop out the clutch for whatever reason. What usually happens is they about go over the handlebars. Good stuff right there.

Old 11-05-2009, 02:53 PM
UltraTheo
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've done it my whole riding life. Has anyone really even heard of a tranny failing? Very few if any.

Old 11-05-2009, 04:59 PM
StreetGlidinFreak
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, every time these guys come to a curve in the road they just pull in the clutch and hit the brake? I suppose they don't let off and drop a gear when they come to a big curve? Anytime you let off the gas and coast, you are essentially engine braking. In the 25 or so years that I have been riding, I have always engine braked. NOT to the extreme of overly reving the engine, but engine braked none the less on all my bikes and any stick shift I drive whether car or big truck. The CDL manual for big trucks tells you to engine brake to keep your brakes from over heating and fading. I know that is a little different kind of vehicle but the same overall mechanics apply. There again as was stated in earlier posts, be in the right gear for the speed you are doing... You never know when you are going to have to nail it to get out of the way of a cager. (have had to do that a couple of times) If the transmission in the bike that we have paid WAY TOO DANG MUCH FOR can't take normal riding, I think we may need to rethink our purchases. If they still harass you, tell them to make the payments and you will ride it like they want you to.
I'm just saying...........

Quick Reply: **engine brake**