Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbs arrggghhhh!

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 05:10 AM
GeorgiaGirl
Madame Moderator
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm not sure I really see a distinction. I know alot of the guys on here started out on dirt bikes and rode them for years and not a few did motorcross. Certainly those guys can ride the **** out of their street bikes. Now, it you're talking about someone like me who rode dirt bikes as a kid/teen and then didn't ride anything on two wheels other than a bicycle until they got a motorcycle then you might have a point. The two experiences were years, okay, I admit it, decades apart and yes I had alot to learn and made no bones about it and initially refused to put myself in situations beyond my comfort zone.

Old 11-05-2009, 07:04 AM
carlgrover
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,265 Likes on 1,309 Posts

Originally Posted by 09flhtc
they say "we'll I have been riding dirt bikes for...." Okay stop I don't care how long you have been riding dirt bike, Ive been riding a bicycle since I was six DOES that qualify me to ride a motorcycle, NO! And neither does riding a dirt bike. The terrain is different the obstacles are different, and there are many moving object ready to put you in this earth. So stop trying to add experience and skills to you motorcycle.
I totally disagree with every statement you made. Riding a dirt bike is much harder than riding a street bike with only 1 exception; the traffic. There is nothing in the woods that can hit you. The trees don't move. Other than that and learning the traffic laws, riding a dirt bike is the best experience you can get prior to getting on a street bike. When I switched from dirt to street, the transition was easy. Nothing to it. Dirt bike riding teaches you "body english", balance, coordination, and power management. There are ruts to ride thru, large rocks and trees fallen on trails, difficult hills, etc. that all teach you these skills. You might say, "I'm not going to be going over any fallen trees on the street". Maybe not, but one of these days you might have to avoid or ride over an obstacle in the road. Dirt bike experience prepares you for that.

Have you ever ridden a dirt bike? I can't believe you could make the statements you did and have ever spent even 5 minutes on one.

Old 11-05-2009, 07:26 AM
Toypuller
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,262 Likes on 1,578 Posts

My rant was and is not about discredit dirt rider. My rant is about people who how claim to be riding for years and you later find out they are on there first street bike and do not know how to ride the city roads safely. Some of the stuff you do on a dirt bike if you ever tried it on a street bike you would high-side and be eating pavement. Both dirt and street ride have interchangeable skill, but there is some skills you can only get being on the road. By overstating their experience they not only put them self in danger but everyone they are riding with to, special in a group ride.
Don't we have enough do-gooders trying to save us from ourselves already? What do you want to do, give skill tests and equipment checks to people in your area?

Don't like it, don't ride with them.

Not comfortable around somebody, don't ride with them.

Some people learn by riding, some learn by crashing.

Everybody had a first day on a bike.

Old 11-05-2009, 08:01 AM
Haulen Ass
Former Sponsor
Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

I'd have to say my racing motocross for 10 yrs has made me that much better of a road rider. Something about banging bars with 20+ other riders that are more than willing to put you on the ground for your position kinda makes your more aware of your surroundings among many other things.

Old 11-05-2009, 08:03 AM
John TN
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Toypuller said it well,,, I do disagree with the OP, truthfully my motocross and hare scramble racing days saved my **** on my Harley one day, I told the story here before of having to go down a long steep graveled rutted dirt road, major pucker factor and no way around it I had to go down this hill,, if I didn't have my dirt bike experience for sure my bike would have hit the ground, damn near did.

Really you/we as experienced riders should encourage and help anyone wanting to ride or learning to ride no matter what their previous experience is,,, we all have to start somewhere,, at one point none of us could even crawl or walk could we?

Old 11-05-2009, 08:17 AM
wiredwilly
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Riding motocross, enduro or any other dirt sport gives a person bike handling skills that can be applied to the street. I would bet that a person riding strictly on the street would not perform well on dirt.

Old 11-05-2009, 08:21 AM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Sorry going on a rant...
Okay they introduce themselves, they ask you how long you have been riding. You respond and ask the same and they say "we'll I have been riding dirt bikes for...." Okay stop I don't care how long you have been riding dirt bike, Ive been riding a bicycle since I was six DOES that qualify me to ride a motorcycle, NO! And neither does riding a dirt bike. The terrain is different the obstacles are different, and there are many moving object ready to put you in this earth. So stop trying to add experience and skills to you motorcycle operating ability that you clearly do not have.
You seem confused. A dirt bike *is* a motorcycle. Further, in my experience & opinion, street riders who came up on dirt bikes are far better street riders than those who do not have dirt bike experience. As just one example, a rider with only street experience typically reacts poorly when he loses traction or the bike starts to slide, whereas a rider with experience on a dirt bike is more likely to just ride it out, or even deliberately powerslide through a turn.

I suppose, rather than you ranting on dirt bike riders having so much more experience than you, instead, you should be honest with them and admit you *only* have half the experience, having limited yourself to just street bikes.

Last edited by MidnitEvil; 11-05-2009 at 08:31 AM.
Old 11-05-2009, 08:28 AM
xmeter
Tourer

Originally Posted by MidnitEvil
You seem confused. A dirt bike *is* a motorcycle. Further, in my experience & opinion, street riders who came up on dirt bikes are far better street riders than those who do not have dirt bike experience.
Absolutely what he said! Now I am going back to work.

Old 11-05-2009, 08:28 AM
Kirkj1s
Intermediate

Wow, somebody touched a nerve! Why rant, or worry, if they count it as experience, congrats to them, if you don't why get upset? Your experience is yours, I don't know what you have faced in your saddle or on your feet, but you do, learn from whatever you can, enjoy life and ride with the experience you have and learn from each new day, road, track, dirt or even in a cager, God forbid!

Old 11-05-2009, 08:35 AM
harleyguy5571
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 88 Likes on 49 Posts

I don't understand why people feel the need to ask or tell how long they've been riding. I guess it makes a good conversation starter idk

Quick Reply: Newbs arrggghhhh!