Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbs arrggghhhh!

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 07:50 PM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Faast Ed
Yeah, I don't care for the "what do you do" for a livin' thing either.
Why? Guys generally identify themselves by their jobs (ask any retired guy). If you just start a conversation with any guy, very early in the conversation he is likely to identify "who" he is by what he does.

I'm a welder, salesman, doctor, lawyer... or, I'm in the insurance business, car business...

I suppose the only guys who don't really do that would be those at the very low end of the totem pole (which is usually, but not always, very young guys). I suppose it's not too common to hear someone say "I'm a bagger at the grocery store", or "I work in a warehouse" (unless the run the warehouse).

In any event, it's a psychological reality. Guys that ask aren't usually being nosy, they are just aware of this reality. Guys that tell you what their job is, usually aren't bragging, they just identify who they are by what they do.

I'm not ragging on you, so please don't take offense or feel the need to defend your position, when I say I find it more interesting that it bothers you and that you perceive the question to be them creating an opening to brag. I'm really into psychology, how people think and why they think what they think or do what they do. In that respect, I would wonder if perhaps you are either unhappy with your job, or feel it is somehow "inferior" to others. If that's the case - don't. We aren't what we do - jobs are temporary - and no job is more important than any other. The world keeps going because we *all* do whatever we do.

So... if I run into you somewhere, I might ask "So what do you do?" - it's because I'm interested and making conversation and looking for other common ground we may have. I like leaving it at "What do you do?" because that allows a job response, as well as some other response (such as, well, I ride my bike all over the place, and when I'm not doing that, I collect big cat nail clippings). Additionally, "What do you do?" very often leads to future networking connections that may work out well for both of us. As a salesman, I go into a LOT of different businesses in a day. I cannot tell you how often "What do you do?" has lead to me hooking that person up with a job, a new client, added business, etc.

Old 11-05-2009, 07:51 PM
kickstart pan
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WOW !!!!
what a thread.
know what , It don't matter, what , where, how.
OK,OK I'm in.............
When I started ridin (in the mid 60's)
I rode a jap bike, When I rode it on the street , I guess it was a street bike, if I was in the dirt- it must a been a dirt bike.
And when I was in the woods - it musta ben a wood bike.
We rode everywhere, school, work whatever.
In Florida when you were 14 you got a mc license, so you got a bike.
If you had a car you had to have someone over 21 with ya, sheesh !
We went to the drive in on mc's to see the "biker" movies of the 60's.
Yeah , they were 50's and 90's but we made our own straight- loud pipes, we had APE hangers, REAL kraut helmets from the Army Navy store, cut up jean jackets and we all wanted Harley's.
Well here I am

Old 11-05-2009, 07:52 PM
LAMing
Road Master

Seeing as this is going to turn into a "dirt riders vs streeters" thread, before it gets too ugly, I'd like to say:

Even though I have only ridden a street bike the past two years of my 40 years of riding, while interacting here I have always tried to be respectful toward those of you that have survived riding amid all the morons on the road/street for umpteen years. That in itself speaks volumes for your ability to ride with great "situational awareness" as well indicative that you indeed have the needed skills to navigate the surprises that crop up along the way.

My reply above was aimed at one single poster that put up a poorly thought-out post (IMHO), but it certainly does not reflect my overall attitude toward those of you that have paid your dues on the street and are still here to tell the tale.

I hope that I can continue to pick up tips from your street experience and ride as many years on the street, likewise.

Old 11-05-2009, 07:53 PM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Time2Cruise
Funny thread for sure. I know some guys that have been riding 10 years and have a whopping 8000 miles on their bike. Experience is relative. There's also aptitude. Some people will adapt more quickly than others while others will never get it.
Good point... so, maybe when someone asks "How long you been riding?", you should answer in miles.

(I know... kind of hard to figure how many miles you have in the dirt)

Old 11-05-2009, 07:54 PM
Chris616
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

09flhtc- don't take it so personal. If it bothers you that much, it's simple, don't reply.

Old 11-05-2009, 07:56 PM
onaride63
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 09flhtc
Sorry going on a rant...
Okay they introduce themselves, they ask you how long you have been riding. You respond and ask the same and they say "we'll I have been riding dirt bikes for...." Okay stop I don't care how long you have been riding dirt bike, Ive been riding a bicycle since I was six DOES that qualify me to ride a motorcycle, NO! And neither does riding a dirt bike. The terrain is different the obstacles are different, and there are many moving object ready to put you in this earth. So stop trying to add experience and skills to you motorcycle operating ability that you clearly do not have.
Alot of what you learned when you were 6 and on your bicycle helps your riding skills today. Does it " qualify " you to ride a road bike, no but the skills you learned help keep you alive today. Because of what I learned on my pedals and mini bikes,dirt bikes I believe help me today. Balance is learned, how to turn and lean were learned on those bikes. Not to mention how to fall and the list could go on. The more riding experience on two wheels the better.

Old 11-05-2009, 07:57 PM
TrickyRick55
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've done dirt, enduro, trials, motorcross and now the street and all carry degrees of risk while testing your skill level. The bottom line is, it's all good and tons of fun. I'd love to go back to my roots of dirt and ride there again but housing has killed all the good places to ride. The guy that boasted his years of riding using dirt as one of his qualifications, might have been intimidated just a bit and just trying to fit in.

Old 11-05-2009, 07:57 PM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member

Other than a bit of slamming the OP for what I believe even he might admit was a somewhat poorly thought out post, IMHO, this has been a unique, interesting thread with some very well worded responses.

Old 11-05-2009, 07:59 PM
LAMing
Road Master

@ MidnitEvil AGAIN:

In the psychology reading/learning in my past, it was also my understanding that question is a "male thing". In some ways, we define ourselves by what we do. Women, on the other hand, typically define themselves by their domesticality, thus THEIR question is often "do you have any children?".

Wow... veered off topic here.

Okay, back on topic...

"How 'bout them dirt ridin' boys!"

Old 11-05-2009, 08:01 PM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Blublublublblub Blublbulbulblub Blublublublublub!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Newbs arrggghhhh!