General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

08 Ultra needs a tank bag...suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 01:13 PM
Chickenfoot
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 08 Ultra needs a tank bag...suggestions?

I am planning a long trip and would like to add a fairly large 'tank bag' to my Ultra Classic. Does anyone out there have experience with a tank bag that works with an Ultra? I've checked a few products, but would appreciate testimonials form actual users.
Thanks,
cf

Old 11-04-2009, 01:23 PM
tjvrodrick
Club Member

Ask the same question in the Tech area or touring, and you will get more answers

Old 11-04-2009, 03:03 PM
FastHoss
Elite HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

If you need a tank bag you got too much crap.

Old 11-04-2009, 03:19 PM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 662 Likes on 412 Posts

Don't think I've ever seen a tank bag on a bagger. Seems like most any one would work. I'd avoid tank bags with a magnetic mount. They might damage your paint.

Old 11-04-2009, 03:27 PM
RexBuck
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My question would be "why?" You have way too much stuff if you need to add a tank bag on an Ultra. The only time I thought I needed more space was when I thought I needed to carry an extra helmet with me (you can see it in my sig pic). Got a bag that fit on the tour pack rack - would hold at least as much as a tank bag.

You will find on long trips that you get home and realize that you have a whole bunch of stuff you didn't use and didn't need to cart around the country with you. Careful planning will get everything you need fitted in to the enormous space you have.

Old 11-04-2009, 03:31 PM
Baeseman1
Elite HDF Member
Received 99 Likes on 78 Posts

It's not a tank bag per say, but I use this on my tank without any problems. It attaches with 6 pretty strong magnets that are between the fabric - the soft rubber backing is the only thing touching the tank.

http://www.tbags.com/enlarge.aspx?id...avigatorlg.gif

Old 11-04-2009, 04:27 PM
omgtkk
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Saddleman makes one that is contoured on the bottom to fit over the tank console. Check it out on their website

Last edited by omgtkk; 11-04-2009 at 04:27 PM. Reason: cause I can't friggin spell right half the time
Old 11-04-2009, 05:54 PM
Ratkiller
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It might be time for a trailer.

Ratkiller

Old 11-04-2009, 06:25 PM
Trailfndr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

I have found that on a longer trip, the best way to do things, is to use the Postal Service. Goint out west, we knew we needed our warm gear in the mountians, so we took them with us, we also knew that once we got out of the mountians, we wouldn't need them, so we sent them back home, alongwith a few other things we found un-needed.

If you need more space on an ultra...you are doing something wrong. I can pack my ultra with nothing more added then a good bag that sits on the tour pak, packing enough gear for 2 people for up to 2 we on the road. Its not difficult, but it does mean making good choices.

Remember, you can always send things home, or buy something you need on the road..

Old 11-05-2009, 07:28 AM
xk207
Cruiser

Kuryakyn has several in their catalog. I don't see anything wrong with a tank bag. I found that maps were a lot easier to read on the tank bag on my Guzzi than they are in the Tour Pak on my RG.

Quick Reply: 08 Ultra needs a tank bag...suggestions?