General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To trailer or ride that is the question.

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 09:09 AM
ToastedGoat
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do whatever you feel like. If you want to be part of the group trlr the bike. If you want to ride, then ride.

it's your decision.

Old 11-04-2009, 09:52 AM
gunner11
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Why do people say they'll get there faster if they trailer and have more time for riding. You can drive fast on your bike, and get more riding time in even before you get there........I'm confused.

Old 11-04-2009, 09:58 AM
ToastedGoat
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by gunner11
Why do people say they'll get there faster if they trailer and have more time for riding. You can drive fast on your bike, and get more riding time in even before you get there........I'm confused.
When I hear that I think maybe they are talking about two different types of riding... Riding to get there, and riding for sight seeing.. One is fast paced , no frills, fill the tank and go. The other is take your time, stop at the sights, goof around ect.

I usually don't trlr so I tend to blend the two together.

Some people don't like riding down the freeways on their bikes. They would rather trlr to the rally/destination. Then spend their time riding back roads around the area.

Don't bother me either way.. I say to each their own.

Old 11-04-2009, 10:22 AM
Certainteed
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

i been to enough bike rallys that i dont need to hang at one all week. to be honest, a day is about all i care for.

the best trips i've had were along the old routes. the ride is the trip for me, and i follow the same rules as others: no slab no chains, and try to make a couple hundred miles a day. no real hurry. these are always the best trips. they're rich with experiences and without a friend or two, you sometimes forget everything that happens.

if it were me, i'd tell them i'm taking the back roads and they're welcome to join in.

Old 11-04-2009, 10:39 AM
hullhorr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 184 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by gunner11
Alot has to do with your endurance. To give an example, in 2008 I met some friends out in Sturgis. They wanted to ride, I wanted to trailer my Fatboy cause it was my first time and I was more comfortable trailering in lieu of riding 1800 miles each way. I hauled their gear so I didn't hear any crap either.

I left 1-day after they did, and we all arrived on the same day. I stayed in Sturgis one day longer also and got home the same day they did.

You can push yourself for a longer day in the cage than you can on the bike. You also make alot less stops for fuel in a cage provided the wifes not with me anyway.

I can also say the guy with a flat tire riding in from Minnesota I picked up on Route 90 was sure glad I trailered.

Old 11-04-2009, 10:48 AM
gunner11
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Not trying to get down on anyone, so don't take me wrong. Everybody has they're reasons. I may trailer one day, who knows? Right now the ride getting somewhere like Sturgis is the best part to me. I plan it out, take in the sights, arrange for my stops and hit town the day I planned to. I was just asking, not trying to ruffle feathers.

Old 11-04-2009, 11:03 AM
hullhorr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 184 Likes on 182 Posts

No feathers ruffled just explaining my trailering experience. I fully understand your point of view now that I have a touring bike I have no intention of trailering any time soon. I'm better prepared in all aspects for the long rides now, but I wasn't then. I will ride out on my next trip to SD hopefully in 2010.

Old 11-04-2009, 01:40 PM
Night Crawler
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 108 Likes on 61 Posts

I’ve kind of grown accustomed to trailering on very long trips.

I can carry more booze, tools, food, clothes, firewood, firearms and ammunition.

Old 11-04-2009, 01:45 PM
meatball64
Tourer

Originally Posted by C908
Interesting situation, I have some riding buddies that take a nice trip every year.I have been invited to join them this next summer. They like to trailer their bikes to where they are going and then get the bikes off and ride from that point. I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings but I have been riding since 1974 and I have never put any of my bikes on a trailer. To me a lot of the fun is making the trip on two wheels.I would like to join them but I have mixed feelings about putting my bike on a trailer. They have done this type of trip multiple times and really like doing it this way. Anyone else ever been in this type of situation if so what are your thoughts? Thanks for your comments.
I don't even want too know people like that.

Old 11-04-2009, 01:49 PM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by C908
Interesting situation, I have some riding buddies that take a nice trip every year.I have been invited to join them this next summer. They like to trailer their bikes to where they are going and then get the bikes off and ride from that point. I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings but I have been riding since 1974 and I have never put any of my bikes on a trailer. To me a lot of the fun is making the trip on two wheels.I would like to join them but I have mixed feelings about putting my bike on a trailer. They have done this type of trip multiple times and really like doing it this way. Anyone else ever been in this type of situation if so what are your thoughts? Thanks for your comments.
Sometimes the journey is more important, sometimes it's the destination. Do what you want and what's best for you. You'll meet them there.

Quick Reply: To trailer or ride that is the question.