General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To trailer or ride that is the question.

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 01:15 AM
Other Sheep
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

You have a license plate on the bike that allows you to ride it. So, ride it. If you have arthritis or bad knees or some other health reason the sit in the truck. But the bike is a lot more fun when its rolling.

Old 11-04-2009, 05:43 AM
LAMing
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"Never did really understand the heated debates about whether to trailer or not."

Ever see a few Bantam roosters when together in a lot?

'Bout the same thing.

Old 11-04-2009, 05:57 AM
Shaved Ice
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 46 Posts

To me, there ain't nothing fun about riding in a straight line down a flat interstate for 300+ per day. I am just not a touring kind of rider. The back road suggestion only works if you have extra time to get there and back. The two way radio suggestion is not going to give you the same effect as being with them. They are not going to press the mike every time someone says something. Everyone says road trips are about the ride not the destination. I agree, even if it is in a truck with friends.

Old 11-04-2009, 07:14 AM
RutRoo
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Last year I had similar invite to an annual trip to Colorado.. I would have ridden my bike but the bullsh$t in the truck and lies and accusations were worth the trailering.. I did have my bike placed so that I could get it off the trailer and ride if I wanted too.. I rode the first day and then trailered the next.. I had to get a 4hr head start in order to meet them at evening stop.. It was gas and go the entire day.. they drove late into the night and I have mixed feelings about late night riding and riding when I get tired.. 672 miles that first day..trailered home, it was a blast, belching, beer farts, big lies, and tall tales for 2 days.. you can ride any time but 2 days confined with good friends don't happen too often..

Old 11-04-2009, 07:33 AM
hullhorr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 184 Likes on 182 Posts

Depending on the length of the trip you could always mix it up and ride some and trailer some.

I bought a touring bike so I could ride everywhere. Trailering is not in my immediate plans, but who knows what the future holds. I don't ridicule anyone for trailering. To each his own. Everyones situation is different so no need to be judgmental.

Old 11-04-2009, 07:35 AM
mcrider1
Road Warrior
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

I ride from NC to CO several times each year. One overnight around Kansas City and arrive in C. Springs at my son's house the following afternoon about 1,600 miles one way. My wife doesn't like to ride across the flatlands, so I pick her up at the airport in Co. Everyone is happy. There is a saying, "There are two types of motorcyclist, motorcycle riders and motorcycle owners"

P. S.- The movie Wild Hogs would have been much better if they had all started out in a truck and trailer?

Old 11-04-2009, 07:52 AM
RutRoo
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Whenever my wife and I plan trips to the Southwest, (great motorcycle rides) she will fly to Phoneix, Las Vegas, etc and I will ride solo to pick her up.. She does not like riding across the Heartland.. Yep, everyones happy and I get solo riding time.. life is good..

Old 11-04-2009, 08:00 AM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

57, with a hardtail, YOU make the "call". 400 miles a day, vs close to or over, a 1000. NOW throw in an OL with a 'bad back', sorta a "NO BRAINER" at that point. Anything less than 400, weather decent, I B riding, PROVIDED I have the time. AND now that she has her own "cushy" ride, we can go WAY LONGER/day.

We 'clicked' off Algona (265 mi), in a bit over 5 1/2 hrs. AND it's a gas stop, every 70 miles on the Cap'n., AND a lunch stop. You do the math. That's ON a 45+ yr old hardtail scoot.

I do trailer to Sturgis, I take the van, WITH all my tools in it. I can earn enuff $$$ in the campground, to pay for the whole trip. PLUS make it in one day, vs 2.
YOU can call me a "CandyAzz" if you want, BUT you'd prob'ly rather call me, WHEN your scoot, takes a chit, out there. OR better yet, WHEN I stop to see Y you are sitting alongside, the road, and there is ONE M.T. space, on the TRAILER !!!!

Old 11-04-2009, 08:01 AM
Tinkermc
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK is it a good day to take your Harley for a ride? Or is it a good day to ride your Harley?
I've been riding since the 60's and never taken a bike for a ride, don't own a trailer. Most of my friends have a nice truck and a nice trailer. I have 67 ElCamino and a new hog. Enjoy your time and keep the shiny side up not tied down.

Old 11-04-2009, 08:58 AM
mcrider1
Road Warrior
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Da Gumpmeister
57, with a hardtail, YOU make the "call". 400 miles a day, vs close to or over, a 1000. NOW throw in an OL with a 'bad back', sorta a "NO BRAINER" at that point. Anything less than 400, weather decent, I B riding, PROVIDED I have the time. AND now that she has her own "cushy" ride, we can go WAY LONGER/day.

We 'clicked' off Algona (265 mi), in a bit over 5 1/2 hrs. AND it's a gas stop, every 70 miles on the Cap'n., AND a lunch stop. You do the math. That's ON a 45+ yr old hardtail scoot.

I do trailer to Sturgis, I take the van, WITH all my tools in it. I can earn enuff $$$ in the campground, to pay for the whole trip. PLUS make it in one day, vs 2.
YOU can call me a "CandyAzz" if you want, BUT you'd prob'ly rather call me, WHEN your scoot, takes a chit, out there. OR better yet, WHEN I stop to see Y you are sitting alongside, the road, and there is ONE M.T. space, on the TRAILER !!!!
Some people own bikes that they don't worry about them breaking down. Knock on wood, but I've never had one let me down on the road other than a flat tire and I carry a compressor and plug kit for that. If it does happen, that's what AAA is for. It doesn't matter to me if you want to trailer or not, whatever blows your skirt up. Me, I'm ridin'.

Quick Reply: To trailer or ride that is the question.