General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To trailer or ride that is the question.

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 09:31 PM
mcrider1
Road Warrior
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

If you don't want to miss out on the conversations, get yourself a two way radio and talk to your trailer buddies in the truck while you enjoy the ride. How far is the trip? I don't buy the "I can get there faster in the truck", unless they aren't stopping at all and just switching off driving and sleeping in the truck. Which doesn't sound like a whole lot of fun to me. Personally, I would leave a day or two earlier if I had to and meet them there. Most memories are made by riding, not sitting in a pickup with 4 other guys. YMMV.

Old 11-03-2009, 09:41 PM
bikersurgeon
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK, I agree with MCRIDER...lol, damn I'm fickle

Old 11-03-2009, 09:48 PM
VTwin-Goodies
Sponsor
Received 1,951 Likes on 1,935 Posts

I'd ride my bike. Otherwise it is not a real toad trip to me.

Old 11-03-2009, 10:04 PM
sharkey
Grand HDF Member
Received 475 Likes on 277 Posts

I've got no qualms at all about trailering the 12hrs of 4 lane from home to the US border, then hopping on the bikes and riding into Montana. I get no enjoyment out of sitting bolt upright and wearing out the centre of my tire and neither do our women. Once on the road, our rules include absolutely no chain restraunts or motels when in Smallville and avoid interstates if at all possible...we really enjoy our trips that way. Right now I'm looking at trucking our bikes across Canada and taking a couple of weeks to ride back home...much cheaper than taking extra time off work to go both ways. It's a road trip from when we get on until we get off.

Attached Thumbnails To trailer or ride that is the question.-yellowstone-sign.jpg  
Old 11-03-2009, 10:10 PM
bikersurgeon
Tourer

I'm all for the "avoid interstate" thang...I hate them even in a car...

Old 11-03-2009, 10:24 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

never trailered mine anywhere but to the shop when broke down.. and that been yrs ago.

Old 11-03-2009, 10:25 PM
uncle bo
Cruiser

bottom line is do what you think is best for you.if you want to chat then ride in the truck,if you want to ride then ride.i'm sure your buds won't mind if you want to ride all the way there.afterwards you all can ride together.personally at $1200 bucks a year insurance and a short riding season,we ride when we can.

Old 11-03-2009, 10:26 PM
LAMing
Road Master

mcrider1 did point out some good things, and I tend to agree with him. As for me, I doubt that I'll ever be in a situation as the OP is in, simply because I don't have any HD/cruising friends!

Wife and I may try sharkey's idea next summer. Surprisingly, the wife suggested we do New England on the Deuce... BUT... we trailer up and unload once there. Hey, if that gets her on the back of the Deuce and us out enjoying the US in the wind... so be it!

Also, the wife and I do the same thing: Avoid super slabs and no chain food/etc once out in Smallville. We've had some neat experiences following that philosphy.

Old 11-03-2009, 10:28 PM
Bowtieman31
Road Master

There isn't even a question or choice here. I ride mine wherever I go. I bought it to ride, not trailer.

Old 11-04-2009, 12:50 AM
Dragan
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sometimes, depending on where in the world you are, if you want to ride all year round, you have to trailer the bike to get into better weather. I'm in western Canada, and make an annual trip south with some buddies in February. We can't ride due to weather and road conditions for at least two days driving south. As soon as we're out of the snow, we're good to go.
Never did really understand the heated debates about whether to trailer or not. I prefer to ride to our desitnation, but its not an option 5 months of the year here, so you do what you gotta do if you want to ride.

Quick Reply: To trailer or ride that is the question.