General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To trailer or ride that is the question.

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2009, 09:43 AM
mjrfd99
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,772 Likes on 1,121 Posts

" I never put my bike on a trailer" Then you sit home in the north.
I bought my first trailer back in early 80's after getting stuck in NC by an ice storm comming back from Daytona on my FX.

Old 11-15-2009, 11:44 AM
Centerline
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by C908
Interesting situation, I have some riding buddies that take a nice trip every year.I have been invited to join them this next summer. They like to trailer their bikes to where they are going and then get the bikes off and ride from that point. I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings but I have been riding since 1974 and I have never put any of my bikes on a trailer. To me a lot of the fun is making the trip on two wheels.I would like to join them but I have mixed feelings about putting my bike on a trailer. They have done this type of trip multiple times and really like doing it this way. Anyone else ever been in this type of situation if so what are your thoughts? Thanks for your comments.
I ride plenty and own several different types of bikes. Sometimes I like to take the cruiser on a long x-country or interstate juant. Or maybe I would like to go to Colorado during the summer and then rdie some of its awesome off-road trails or jeep roads. Certainly my Harley ain't gonna cut much of the off-roading, tho it IS quite adept on gravel roads. And in the tight twisties, the Harley is great fun and entertainment---but no match for the adrenaline rush of a canyon carver like my Ducati Monster or a Supermotard. The 2 last mentioned bikes are so narrow focused as to make them uncomfortable and impractical for x-country ventures.......so I trailer a lot for multi-bike adventures. Big plus, spare tires, lots of tools and yes, I do carry my No-Mar tire changer w/ its trailer hitch mount for changing tires should the need arise.

Old 11-29-2009, 04:20 PM
TWT Rider
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I've trailered my Bike to places too and then ridden from there. Then again I'm from Ont so unless I wanna leave during the few right months I need to sorts do that.
But, that don't mean just ride around where ever we go. the last time I did that I trailered the bikes 2000 miles but then rode 4600 miles

Old 11-29-2009, 04:38 PM
IzzoQuazzo
Retired Admin

Received 9,041 Likes on 3,711 Posts

Originally Posted by Tbyrd
Some people just dont have the time off from work to not trailer. Like me, I am planning a Sturgis trip, but I know I can get there much faster in a cage with my bike behind me. Thus allowing me to maximize my time enjoying the rally. They may have their reasons, you never know.
Huh? It takes the same amount of time to ride a bike as it does to pull a trailer. What does available time off have to do with it? When I ride to Sturgis, I pass a lot of trailers. Seems like I'm going faster that they are.

Old 11-29-2009, 04:57 PM
brockstwrt
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

In the early spring I like to load my bike in a trailer, still >30 degrees and snow on the roads. Head south untill it gets nice enough to ride. Look at the 10 day forecast to see if theres a spring storm coming towards where we stopped if not we stay at a motel and leave the truck trailer there and make sure our travels lead us back to that motel. If my bike doesn't run or there's snow on the ground I've got a 4 place enclosed trailer and i'm not afraid to use it.

Old 01-27-2010, 05:33 PM
Keats
Intermediate

I have never trailered but,

You have the best of both worlds.......trailer in bad weather and when you do not feel like riding and have the option of pulling the bike off and ride.

You might be surprised if you pull your bike off that someone will join you.

I hear more often that trailering a bike to an event does not rule out riding.
just gives you options.

Ride 1/2 day?
Ride afternoon only?

Old 01-28-2010, 08:09 AM
TWT Rider
Advanced
Default Re Trailering

Izzo you are all right, and it is quicker to ride then to trailer, but the only thing is as Keats said, if the weather is a factor, and sometimes you need to out of the snow country per say, that's when trailering is a plus

Old 04-23-2011, 11:07 AM
mjrfd99
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,772 Likes on 1,121 Posts

This trailer was a present to my 79 FX 12 yrs ago. We hit the road for 2 months+ every summer. The whole family goes even the dog. All the comforts of home and I dont sleep in others splooge and bedbuds. Guess what the club begs me to bring on every overnite trip.

Attached Thumbnails To trailer or ride that is the question.-th4.jpg   To trailer or ride that is the question.-th-3.jpg  
Old 04-23-2011, 01:58 PM
harleyphoenix
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

pussies...........

Old 04-23-2011, 02:36 PM
sm0kediver
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There's a time and a place for trailers. My motto is 'it's not the destination, it's the ride'... but sometimes, it's the destination.

When I take my kids on vacation I have to take a car, and it would be nice to have a trailer to carry my Harley. Last summer we actually took a vacation where I carried my son on the bike, and my girls followed in a car. That worked out pretty good.

I used to have the rig pictured below. It woudn't handle a Harley, but it worked great with the dual sport (and a Suzuki DR sucks on 400 mile trips!)

Attached Thumbnails To trailer or ride that is the question.-zuke.jpg  

Quick Reply: To trailer or ride that is the question.