General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blown Schrader Valve

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 07:02 AM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

IMFUO, someone "screwed", OR would that be "UNscrewed", with ya.

I've broken stems off (mud trucks and tractors) and had 'em come loose, but never just "blow out" like yours.

Old 11-04-2009, 07:53 AM
huffhuff
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

an o ring gasket in a cap got dislocated on me once and held the valve core open enough for the tire to leak slowly. there aren't many threads on the valve core itself so if it's not tight it "might" blow out. i have seen threads in the stem be damaged and not be able to tighten the core.

Old 11-04-2009, 08:14 AM
JW1200
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 21,403 Likes on 8,422 Posts

Legend has it Evil Road Spirits have been latching themselves on to motorcycles for as long as there have been bikes on the road.

Old 11-04-2009, 10:05 AM
EasternSP
Banned
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 24,869 Likes on 9,332 Posts

I would think the schrader valve would begin leaking when it is less than one turn from being tight. For you to experience the leak over 500 miles and at least a day since the last time you checked the tire is kind off extra ordinary. You may have forgotten to replace the cap when you checked the air. If you had slightly loosened the valve when checking the air pressure, it could have been doing a slow leak during your ride. For the valve to fall completely out is a bit troubling though.

Old 11-04-2009, 08:37 PM
Lincoln33
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by oct1949
they just dont unscrew themselves...
Yeah it probably had some help
Originally Posted by Da Gumpmeister
IMFUO, someone "screwed", OR would that be "UNscrewed", with ya.
That's what I'm thinkn

Originally Posted by huffhuff
an o ring gasket in a cap got dislocated on me once and held the valve core open enough for the tire to leak slowly. there aren't many threads on the valve core itself so if it's not tight it "might" blow out. i have seen threads in the stem be damaged and not be able to tighten the core.
When I installed a new schrader valve it screwed right in no problem and seemed to tighten down right.

Originally Posted by JW1200
Legend has it Evil Road Spirits have been latching themselves on to motorcycles for as long as there have been bikes on the road.
Maybe I need a new or additional gremlin bell

Originally Posted by EasternSP
I would think the schrader valve would begin leaking when it is less than one turn from being tight. For you to experience the leak over 500 miles and at least a day since the last time you checked the tire is kind off extra ordinary. You may have forgotten to replace the cap when you checked the air. If you had slightly loosened the valve when checking the air pressure, it could have been doing a slow leak during your ride. For the valve to fall completely out is a bit troubling though.
I agree with you on the slow leak if it wasn't tightened but the valve was installed back in August and never leaked. I'm pretty sure I had the cap on but anythings possible. I had a chase car behind me when the tire went flat and the guy driving it told me the tire went flat so rapidly he thought I hit something in the road. I believe the tire was completely aired up when the schrader blew out I just dont know what caused it

Old 11-04-2009, 09:03 PM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,132 Likes on 1,030 Posts

You have been unscrewed Sir!......................Lucky ya didn't crash. Probably just a Kid's prank, but then you just really never know. .............Best of luck to ya.

Old 11-04-2009, 09:21 PM
FlamedFXR
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,682 Likes on 702 Posts

Not sure how someone could of pulled the valve, aired it up and replaced the cap without losing all the air again....doesnt seem likely.

Old 11-05-2009, 01:05 AM
Lincoln33
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by will2002
You have been unscrewed Sir!......................Lucky ya didn't crash. Probably just a Kid's prank, but then you just really never know. .............Best of luck to ya.
That's a possibility considering it was Halloween
Originally Posted by FlamedFXR
Not sure how someone could of pulled the valve, aired it up and replaced the cap without losing all the air again....doesnt seem likely.
They couldn't pull the valve without losing air, if someone messed with it they probably just loosened the valve enough that it eventually failed. I don't know if that's what happened or if the valve stem was just defective but that's why I posted here to find out if anyone else had a similar experience. So far noone here has had anything similar happen and the general consensus is the valve was tampered with. I tend to agree with the consnesus but I'll never know for sure.