General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blown Schrader Valve

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 04:36 PM
BB4xl
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have never seen one blow out. Owned a Gas station in the early 80s. Did 1000s of tires both car and some bike.. I would replace it, if for any reason peace of mind. Just sitting is not getting the tire hot and not building pressuer either. With your saddle bags on it would be harder to get to the vstem. With todays mass production it would not suprise me that its just bad. Even if the threads are good in the stem does not mean the threads on the valve itself where good. Glad you are alright. Thank God and buy a lottery ticket.

Old 11-03-2009, 04:44 PM
Hang Fire
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default schrader valve

I've been the automotive business for over 30 years and never had one blow out leak yes

Either someone screwed around with your bike (and should be delt with accordingly) Or the valve was never tightened up all the way

Old 11-03-2009, 04:57 PM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Hang Fire
Or the valve was never tightened up all the way
If this was the case,I'm pretty sure it would just leak.
Even more suspicious with the cap gone also.

Old 11-03-2009, 05:45 PM
Lincoln33
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by BB4xl
I have never seen one blow out. Owned a Gas station in the early 80s. Did 1000s of tires both car and some bike.. I would replace it, if for any reason peace of mind. Just sitting is not getting the tire hot and not building pressuer either. With your saddle bags on it would be harder to get to the vstem. With todays mass production it would not suprise me that its just bad. Even if the threads are good in the stem does not mean the threads on the valve itself where good. Glad you are alright. Thank God and buy a lottery ticket.
I'm replacing the whole valve stem to be safe and I'm buying a Powerball ticket tonight

Originally Posted by Hang Fire
I've been the automotive business for over 30 years and never had one blow out leak yes

Either someone screwed around with your bike (and should be delt with accordingly) Or the valve was never tightened up all the way
I considered that it may have never been tightened properly but I checked the tire regularly and it was never low. I agree with 1FLTRI4ME if it was loose it probably would have leaked
Originally Posted by 1FLTRI4ME
If this was the case,I'm pretty sure it would just leak.Even more suspicious with the cap gone also.

Old 11-03-2009, 05:52 PM
SleeplessinVegas
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sometimes stuff just happens, go figure.

Old 11-03-2009, 06:56 PM
nhbouncer
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I would replace the valve stem, personally I work in the auto tire retail world and my guys change the stems in every tire we break down. Did you replace yours when you changed the tire recently? I have never seen a whole valve blow out like that either usually they just slow leak. I would personally vote that some messed with it too or that someone removed it to let air out during tire change over and then never tightened it well and could have lost it.

Old 11-03-2009, 07:16 PM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I've seen them loose often enough to check for tightness (after a tire install).
But I have never seen one blow off like yours. Never. It might be realistically possible, but you will never know for sure. Parked in a hotel the night before is indeed a big coincidence.

Might not hurt to check the threads again and get a feel for if it is safe or not.
Can't possibly have been enough fun for you, to wanna go thru it again. Yeowch!

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Old 11-03-2009, 07:21 PM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by nhbouncer
I would replace the valve stem, personally I work in the auto tire retail world and my guys change the stems in every tire we break down. Did you replace yours when you changed the tire recently? I have never seen a whole valve blow out like that either usually they just slow leak. I would personally vote that some messed with it too or that someone removed it to let air out during tire change over and then never tightened it well and could have lost it.
Good point. I usually ask, to make sure I am getting new stems when I buy car tires. I hate slow leaks.
My bike has a tube, which I replace with tire changes.

Old 11-03-2009, 10:03 PM
Lincoln33
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by nhbouncer
I pulled the tire and carried it to an Indy to get a new one mounted, I don't know if he installed a new valve stem but I kind of doubt it. I'm going to replace the stem myself and I'm slowly aquiring all the tools to do my own tire changes including mounting, balancing, and valve stem replacement
Originally Posted by Faast Ed
I've seen them loose often enough to check for tightness (after a tire install).
But I have never seen one blow off like yours. Never. It might be realistically possible, but you will never know for sure. Parked in a hotel the night before is indeed a big coincidence.

Might not hurt to check the threads again and get a feel for if it is safe or not.
Can't possibly have been enough fun for you, to wanna go thru it again. Yeowch!

Thanks for sharing your experience.

I've checked the psi several times in the last twent-four hours and it's holding air but I'm still going to change the stem. I'm trying to find a bead breaker locally so I don't have to order one. I already have a new stem and stem fisher so I'm half way there

Old 11-03-2009, 10:28 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

they just dont unscrew themselves...

Quick Reply: Blown Schrader Valve