Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leather jacket fit

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 07:17 AM
carlgrover
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,266 Likes on 1,310 Posts

I can't talk to the waist fitment but when you try on a leather jacket hold your arms out like they are on the handlebars and make sure the sleeves don't ride up. With your arms at your sides the sleeves will be too long and will come up almost to your knuckles.

Thats how you can tell a real riding leather jacket from anything else.

Old 11-01-2009, 08:14 AM
hollowpoint
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I do like my riding jacket to be sized tight around the bottom to support my kidneys & back. This will also reduce the wind that tends to blow in. Same with the sleeves--sized & zippered tight to seal out bad weather. Above the waist it can be larger to accommodate extra clothes or fresh air when the wrist & front zippers are opened.
An asphalt resistant jacket should have leather heavy enough not to billow.

Old 11-01-2009, 09:16 AM
RCB
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check out Fox Creek Leather www.foxcreekleather.com Great quality and service.

Old 11-01-2009, 09:37 AM
Joe Diver
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have some inexpensive leather jackets I got from Leatherup....and they're good jackets, especially for the money.

BUT...what I WANT....is a custom fitted One Star from Schott.

Old 11-01-2009, 10:45 AM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I'm 6'2" and 205. A XL works for me. You don't want a leather jacket too long or it may ride up under your chin when you sit down.

Old 11-01-2009, 10:56 AM
Teagan
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1931jamesw
I cant hardly believe a big place like San Antone doesnt carry the tall sizes?? Especially this time of year.
None. There two dealers in SA, neither stock Tall sizes. There's two more dealers 20 minutes outside SA, same story. The dealer in the south side of Austin doesn't carry tall either......

I wanted to get a HD jacket, but that's only because I've got $275 in chrome cash to use towards a Jacket. But, I'd perfer to not spend an extra $200 dollars on a china made jackets just because it's got Harley written across the back.

I just don't like the idea of purchasing something like this through the mail w/o trying it on first. But I'm starting to get desperate and with all the great reviews, I'm starting to lean towards Fox Creek Leather. At least if it dosen't fit I could ship it back of an exchange/return. If I had to special order a Tall HD jacket through the dealer, I'd be sctick with it.

Old 11-01-2009, 01:13 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

Check with Zanotti HD, Chicago HD, or Grand Rapids HD. I think they will give you 20% off and let you return it if you don't like it.

Old 11-01-2009, 01:25 PM
Captain Bligh
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

You're tall. Trying to force a XL, 2X, or 3X just isn't going to satisfy you.

I'm 6'3, 215 lbs. Try Fox Creek tall sizes. You'll be a happy camper or they'll work with you until you are.

Old 11-01-2009, 02:35 PM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

It should fit you like a glove,not too tight,not too loose.Imagine sitting on your bike there should be NO leather holding you back.With the jacket on left hand,reach over touch your right shoulder,same thing with right hand.NO binding.Finally think about riding in cold weather and my need a vest or anything more to stay warm.

Old 11-01-2009, 02:44 PM
davessworks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by BB4xl
I have a Langlitz leather I bought over 22 years ago. I know they are ridiculously priced now. But check out this ebay ad. http://cgi.ebay.com/LANGLITZ-BLACK-G...item56367dc844
Damn - if this fits anyone on the board - BUY. I bought a pair of Langlitz pants on eBay a couple of years ago. They needed to be talored so I dropped in at Langlitz with the pants (I live near enough to make this possible). 2 weeks later they arrived on my door step. I thing it cost me about $100.

Quick Reply: Leather jacket fit