General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Pads for Polished Rotors

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2009, 12:18 PM
Figstr
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Brake Pads for Polished Rotors

I started polishing my rear rotor the other day and for those of you have polished aluminum from scratch know how time consuming and labor intensive it can be. Well, I decided to save time I'd just buy polished rotors and over the summer (I'm a teacher) I'll polish them up properly and sell them. While looking at rotors on Ebay I noticed some companies recommend organic pads on polished rotors. EMG makes them but then I read they leave a lot of dust, so those are out. Any recommendation without busting my wallet?

Old 10-30-2009, 12:26 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm confused. You're going to buy polished rotors and then polish them again over the summer in order to sell them?

If you have a super slick (polished) surface, it makes sense that the pads are going to have to be pretty soft in order to properly grip. Otherwise, they'll be useless until they've worn the polishing off the rotor.

Tires and brakes should be left alone, or only improved upon to increase performance. Not looks.

Old 10-30-2009, 12:31 PM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

EBC Kevlars work for me. I've used them on both my stock rotors after I polished them and later when I put on el Cheapo polished rotors from eBay. I can tell no difference in the braking between polished and non-polished rotors.

Old 10-30-2009, 12:31 PM
Figstr
Road Captain

Originally Posted by DannyZ71
I'm confused. You're going to buy polished rotors and then polish them again over the summer in order to sell them?

If you have a super slick (polished) surface, it makes sense that the pads are going to have to be pretty soft in order to properly grip. Otherwise, they'll be useless until they've worn the polishing off the rotor.

Tires and brakes should be left alone, or only improved upon to increase performance. Not looks.
Ok, let me unconfuse you - LOL. I'm buying custom polished rotors since I don't really have the time to polish my existing rotors. I'll be riding faster by buying them and waiting on shipping then polishing what is on the bike now. Over the summer I'll polish up the original HD rotors the right way and then sell them. Unconfused? Sorry I wasn't very clear, my mistake.

Old 10-30-2009, 12:37 PM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member

Polishing them is not that time consuming. I use sandpaper on a drill bit attachment. I can do a side in less than 45 minutes.

Attached Thumbnails Brake Pads for Polished Rotors-sized.jpg  
Old 10-30-2009, 12:41 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Figstr
Ok, let me unconfuse you - LOL. I'm buying custom polished rotors since I don't really have the time to polish my existing rotors. I'll be riding faster by buying them and waiting on shipping then polishing what is on the bike now. Over the summer I'll polish up the original HD rotors the right way and then sell them. Unconfused? Sorry I wasn't very clear, my mistake.

Okay, now I got ya. I probably just read it wrong.

Old 10-30-2009, 12:43 PM
Figstr
Road Captain

When I polish I go through about 7 to 8 steps - from sanding with different grades to polishing with a buffer using several grades of polishing compounds. A rotor, done this way, will take several hours. I do all my polishing that way - just a thing I have about getting it perfect.

Old 10-30-2009, 12:43 PM
Sport King
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by xxxflhrci
EBC Kevlars work for me. I've used them on both my stock rotors after I polished them and later when I put on el Cheapo polished rotors from eBay. I can tell no difference in the braking between polished and non-polished rotors.
I too have used el cheepo rotors . Most claim there is 10 to 12 % Chrome content in them
My problem is braking when wet . I believe the Chrome is whats causing the problem . I use Lyndall Z + and have in the past used E B C Kevlar
Who else has similar problems in the wet ?

Old 10-30-2009, 12:49 PM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member

Mine work just fine when wet. These are the el Cheapos on it now.

Attached Thumbnails Brake Pads for Polished Rotors-img_2327.jpg  
Old 10-30-2009, 12:53 PM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by Figstr
When I polish I go through about 7 to 8 steps - from sanding with different grades to polishing with a buffer using several grades of polishing compounds. A rotor, done this way, will take several hours. I do all my polishing that way - just a thing I have about getting it perfect.
Your plan doesn't add up to me....So you are gonna spend several hours polishing a couple of take-off rotors till they are "perfect" and sell them? I'd guess unpolished a pair is worth about 50 bucks. Polished, you might get a hundred. Not a very good wage there, eh?....LOL.

Quick Reply: Brake Pads for Polished Rotors