General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley Davidson Leather Jackets - The Iconic Piece of Motorcycle Apparel

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 11:44 AM
Whackone
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The HD Leather Jacket I have is the best I have ever owned. It was made in 1985 so it is old enough to drink legally. I have a pair of HD chaps that I have used for 5 years and they will probably outlast me.

Last edited by Whackone; 11-01-2009 at 11:47 AM.
Old 11-01-2009, 01:25 PM
SamStone
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 177 Likes on 89 Posts

I paid $68 for my leather motorcycle jacket(made in pakistan). It is heavy and warm. Has zipper vents and extra padding. I sure wouldn't spend the kind of money they want for a Harley jacket when I could find plenty of other brands made in the USA for the same price or cheaper.

Old 11-01-2009, 01:48 PM
SpoilSport
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 11-01-2009, 02:10 PM
davessworks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Bonker
Interesting, but nothing there says, "We tan our own leather." I think the only way to really resolve this question is an email or phone call to Vanson.
That's because I was resonding to the following:

I will just about bet the leather is dyed black overseas and possibly sent back to the states for assembly.

I'll shoot them an e-mail and see how they respond. You may well be right. The actual cutting and assembly is definitely doen in the USA however.

Last edited by davessworks; 11-01-2009 at 02:28 PM.
Old 11-02-2009, 07:48 AM
dlhike
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dying leather black...

Originally Posted by davessworks
That's because I was resonding to the following:

I will just about bet the leather is dyed black overseas and possibly sent back to the states for assembly.

I'll shoot them an e-mail and see how they respond. You may well be right. The actual cutting and assembly is definitely doen in the USA however.
I worked in a tannery here in Omaha, NE for over 7 years we processed whole cow hides one of the only if not the only plant in the US to process whole hides, most split them in half...our leather went to Auto's(Cadilalc) and furniture makers. We died every possible color and alot - I mean alot of black....

I've bought my boots and coat off of leather up .com - 89.95 for coat 59.95 for double zippered boots...my coat is one of the heaviest Iv'e seen. Double shoulders and elbows - price was right don't know or care where it was made...