General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley Davidson Leather Jackets - The Iconic Piece of Motorcycle Apparel

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2009, 06:05 PM
Wrongwayhome
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just taken delivery of a Fox Creek Commander jacket - what a great Jacket! Been riding it the last week here in Germany with temps down around 40deg F (5deg C) Very comfortable and warm. It's got to be at least half of the cost of a compatible HD Jacket!

Derek M.
2004 FXST

Old 10-31-2009, 09:20 PM
golfblues
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,540 Likes on 932 Posts

Here's a guy in NYC that sells vintage leathers. My friend just purchased a 40-50's Schott leather jacket from him for $200.00. The jacket was in fantastic shape & oozed of quality. He picked it up at his apartment in NYC & told me he had a lot more then shown on his website. Just passing it on.

http://www.travisshive.com/

Old 10-31-2009, 11:27 PM
geezer glide 56
Road Warrior
Received 102 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by mcrider1
Really? Here's their chart of available colors, notice that they do offer black?
http://vansonleathers.com/colors.htm
I will just about bet the leather is dyed black overseas and possibly sent back to the states for assembly.

Old 11-01-2009, 05:33 AM
dbleagle
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Got a pair of Harley boots... 5 years old and really look good... well when I polish them anyway....

Charlie D.

Old 11-01-2009, 08:15 AM
CroK
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I grow up I'm gonna get me a Harley Jacket! Just like Fonzi's. Maybe a matching comb. Would anyone know what type of hair grease Fonzi uses?

Old 11-01-2009, 10:29 AM
davessworks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by geezer glide 56
I will just about bet the leather is dyed black overseas and possibly sent back to the states for assembly.
Maybe - but I don't think so.

Their website says:

"At Vanson we use domestic drum-dyed top grain cowhide, finished and waxed by hand."

Now if they were dying it overseas I'd think that would read:

"At Vanson we use drum-dyed domestic top grain cowhide, finished and waxed by hand."

Vanson leather is chrome tanned, a process developed in the last half of the nineteenth century to create leather that is strong, durable, can be dyed and will hold that coloring. The next step is drum dyeing where Vanson leather is tumbled for up to six hours with a mixture of oils, dyes and hot water in 12 X 12 foot oak drums. This method impregnates the leather with color and nourishes the skins making them stronger and more supple. After drum dyeing the skins are polished and waxed to maximize the character of each hide. Finally, finishing is the process where our leather receives its top coat and is made ready for cutting.
http://www.vansonleathers.com/signat...od_jackets.htm

Attached Thumbnails Harley Davidson Leather Jackets - The Iconic Piece of Motorcycle Apparel-drum-dyeing.jpg  

Last edited by davessworks; 11-01-2009 at 10:32 AM.
Old 11-01-2009, 10:34 AM
davessworks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by CroK
When I grow up I'm gonna get me a Harley Jacket! Just like Fonzi's. Maybe a matching comb. Would anyone know what type of hair grease Fonzi uses?
Better not grow up then ;-)

Old 11-01-2009, 10:47 AM
Bonker
Cruiser

Originally Posted by davessworks
Maybe - but I don't think so.

Their website says:

"At Vanson we use domestic drum-dyed top grain cowhide, finished and waxed by hand."

Now if they were dying it overseas I'd think that would read:

"At Vanson we use drum-dyed domestic top grain cowhide, finished and waxed by hand."

Vanson leather is chrome tanned, a process developed in the last half of the nineteenth century to create leather that is strong, durable, can be dyed and will hold that coloring. The next step is drum dyeing where Vanson leather is tumbled for up to six hours with a mixture of oils, dyes and hot water in 12 X 12 foot oak drums. This method impregnates the leather with color and nourishes the skins making them stronger and more supple. After drum dyeing the skins are polished and waxed to maximize the character of each hide. Finally, finishing is the process where our leather receives its top coat and is made ready for cutting.
Interesting, but nothing there says, "We tan our own leather." I think the only way to really resolve this question is an email or phone call to Vanson.

Old 11-01-2009, 11:19 AM
Gunkholes
Road Captain

Originally Posted by BobStreetBob
I have the HD Nevada jacket. It's a very nice, cheap piece of overpriced ****. Four (4) of the zipper tabs have broke off. Never again. Never again...
I was all set to ride down to Portland to get a Langlitz when my bride got me a Harley Nevada for my birthday a few years ago. I'm still waiting for it to fail, but the dang thing just keeps on going!

Still waiting...

Old 11-01-2009, 11:25 AM
Gunkholes
Road Captain

Originally Posted by trafficjams
I dont buy any HD clothing unless it is way cheap at an open house etc...

Have American made leather... Walter Dyer

As some other posts have indicated... I have some Foxcreek leather products.. belts... vest.. etc... BUY AMERICAN! (if you can lol)
I'm with you -- rather than buy the Chinese-made Harley boots last go-around, I got some good ol' American Red Wing motorcycle boots instead. Guess what? Damn things are made in China! (As I discovered later...)

Quick Reply: Harley Davidson Leather Jackets - The Iconic Piece of Motorcycle Apparel