General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who makes the best riding boots and gloves?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2009 | 12:57 AM
Chibamonkey
Cruiser

I use my lace-up duty boots made by 5.11. Most police supply stores or internet sites like Gall's or Chief's Supply carry them. For sizing, I have been told that NKE (the one w/ the swoosh) makes their boots on contract, and the sizing is real similar to their athletic shoes. Lightweight, insulated, and waterproof. Bates Ultralights are also pretty good for the money.

For gloves, I use Hatch police gloves. You can pick them up at the same above sites. Some models have kevlar in the fingers and palms for portection, and most protect the back of the hand extremely well.

Like others have posted.....the best boots and gloves are those that fit you and are comfortable. That is probably the best advice.

In the same vein, a good pair of quality boot socks goes a long way in keeping your feet comfortable, and are just as important as a proper fitting boot. If I am going to be on the road for more than about 4-6 hours, and especially in the summertime, I always carry a spare set of socks to change out before I start to head home.

Also....invest in a good boot-dryer. I got mine through Cabelas. Helps keep the funk to a minimum, and really helps in prolonging the life of the boot. They also have glove adapters to dry your gloves. Nothing nicer than going to work in the AM or getting ready for a late season ride with toasty warm, dry feet.

Last edited by Chibamonkey; 10-29-2009 at 12:59 AM. Reason: Fix a misspelling
Old 10-29-2009 | 05:19 AM
Cerulean
|
6th Gear

I had a look at all of them online. It was a travel in diversity like the people and personalities of HD owners. I finally went to my closet and saw what I had. (Some ATV boots that definitely look out of place on my cruiser) So I settled for some Danner lace-up boots which look like they will last a long time and gain the "patina" of time. Only time will tell.
Thanks all!
-Migs

Old 10-29-2009 | 08:10 AM
SPaZZdOG
Advanced

Hey new guy here.
This may be a stupid question,but do you get steel toed boots or non-steel toed boots?

Old 10-29-2009 | 08:30 AM
bpez317
Cruiser

Carolina 8" Logger boots. Well made, look great, and cost under $100
http://www.carolinashoe.com/item.asp?ItemID=823

Fox Creek Leather Elk Skin Gloves
Made in the USA Lifetime Guarantee
http://www.foxcreekleather.com/214.html

Last edited by bpez317; 10-29-2009 at 08:34 AM.
Old 10-29-2009 | 09:36 AM
davessworks
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by SPaZZdOG
Hey new guy here.
This may be a stupid question,but do you get steel toed boots or non-steel toed boots?
Not a stupid question - personally I prefer regular non-steel toe boots. It's not clear to me what the value of steel toed is for motorcycling.

Old 10-29-2009 | 10:01 AM
Just-a-Guy
Road Master

Originally Posted by davessworks
Not a stupid question - personally I prefer regular non-steel toe boots. It's not clear to me what the value of steel toed is for motorcycling.

Ditto. I actually like the smallest (flattest) "toe" I can get in a good solid boot, because I don't like having to work to get my toe under the shifter.