General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who makes the best riding boots and gloves?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2009 | 06:15 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member

Any boot that feels comfortable is good enough but I think Wesco boots are a very high quality boot.

I have had very good experience with Harley Windshielder gauntlet gloves for cold weather riding. In the summer I wear fingerless gloves or unlined leather gloves, both elk skin and goat skin at the present time.

Whatever feels good to you is the best. Boots used primarily for riding will possibly last your lifetime.

Old 10-28-2009 | 06:29 PM
xldme
Intermediate

Red wing boots and gloves

Old 10-28-2009 | 07:18 PM
Cerulean
|
6th Gear

I'm gonna look at the various brands you all mention and choose one. Thanks for the input and also for the thought behind the posts. -Migs

Old 10-28-2009 | 09:27 PM
09malteseth
Intermediate

Justin George Strait work boots for me.

Old 10-28-2009 | 09:48 PM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member

I've been wearing Chippewa boots for years and find them to be of outstanding quality.

Gloves? I've discovered that elkskin gloves are tough, durable, stay soft even after getting wet and they're surprisingly warm even when unlined. Mine are from FoxCreek Leather and I wear them year around here in the So Cal mountains. I encounter temps in the 30's at night during winter regularly.

Old 10-28-2009 | 10:00 PM
Dixie Dreg
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by NonPCnraRN
I also like Chippewa Packer Boots. I bought them for Cowboy Action Shooting as they are 1800s period correct but they turned out great for walking and riding. They look like cowboy boots that lace up. They are GoreTex lined and I can stand in 10" of water and my feet stay dry. They lace up as tight or as loose as you want them. They were all day comfortable right out of the box. I pulled the insole that came with them and added a gel insole for winter use with thick socks. I use the original insole and the gel insole with thin socks in the summer. They are brown so for those who only wear black they would not be for you. They make black packer boots but I don't recall that they were GoreTex lined. I like dry feet.

I also have Danner Acadia boots. They are military black style made of leather and synthetic fabric and are GoreTex lined. The synthetic fabric keeps them lighter than an all leather boot. I use the same trick, 2 insoles and light socks for summer and the gel sole only with thick socks for winter. Again, cold, wet feet suck.

I have the Bison Packers, 4 pairs of Chippewas and loving them.

Old 10-28-2009 | 10:06 PM
davessworks
Outstanding HDF Member

Wesco boots are probably as good as it gets but be ready to pony up at least $500. www.westcoastshoe.com/wesco

Dearskin gloves for sure (abrasion resistance and an incredible tolerance to getting wet and retaining their natural properties and dimensions - many brands nowadays - 20 years ago there wasn't as much choice. A good lining should be the next consideration. Decide if you want gauntlet or a more universal style. I just picked up a back-up pair at Costco of all places - deerskin, thinsulate insulation, $20.

Best leathers - Langlitz (http://www.langlitz.com/index.html) - I prefer their goatskin versus cowhide. I have pants, saving for a jacket. Be readily to pay $1000 plus.

Second choice for leathers - Vanson (http://www.vansonleathers.com/). I have pants and 2 jackets. Very good US built quality.

Frankly - while the above may be the "best" you don't necessarily need the best. A good pair of "engineers boots" from Double H will get the job done. On the other hand good leathers may save your life.

Last edited by davessworks; 10-28-2009 at 10:20 PM.
Old 10-28-2009 | 10:29 PM
Brian E
Novice

I have been wearing Double H 12" engineer boots for years. They are made in the USA and don't cost much more than the Chinese made stuff the MOCO sells. The best pair of boots I have ever owned, is an old pair of Wesco Timber calk boots from my days of working in the woods. They are the best production boots made ,IMHO.

Brian

Old 10-28-2009 | 10:34 PM
Silverslider
Tourer

Red Wing has my vote. Been wearing them for years both at work and riding. Comfortable and durable.
Can't speak for gloves. I usually just buy what feels good.

Old 10-29-2009 | 12:16 AM
leicafish
Outstanding HDF Member

Wesco Boots-Fire Storm model

Chruchill Deerskin Gloves.

Quick Reply: Who makes the best riding boots and gloves?