General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who makes the best riding boots and gloves?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2009 | 02:32 PM
tas_todd
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

I like my Timberland Pro work boots. Gloves...I just get the cheapo gauntlet for winter and leather palm w/ mesh top for summer. I forget the name but they've got knuckle armor.

Old 10-28-2009 | 02:46 PM
Just-a-Guy
Road Master

I think Chipewa are the best boots money can buy for motorcycle riding. And if you care, they are still 100% made in the USA. Red Wings are nice, but IIRC they recently had some PR issues because of their "Made in America" signs -- many of them are now made in China (like the HD brand boots). Chipewas are about the same price and it's a great company.

Gloves -- very personal thing. I recently did a test where I bought about 8 brands of gloves, all recommended by forum members here or somewhere else. In the end, I liked the Rothco police gloves the best, but it's a very personal decision based on what feels good to you.

Mark

Old 10-28-2009 | 03:07 PM
Tripper
Ultimate HDF Member

Red Wing has an extensive line of affordable work boots but then so do Wolverine, Chippewa, and others. I'd really like to try some White Brothers Smoke Jumpers but find the $400+ price tag a bit much for now.

I personally have a pair of Red Wing lineman and engineer boots by Chippewa; I find them both comfortable and very seviceable. Harley boots have fake Vibram soles that wear out way too fast.

Gloves? Harley branded glovers are way too expensive. I found a nice pair of thinsulite lined gloves at the local Honda shop that kept my hands warm last winter for under $30 last winter. Unknown brand.

Old 10-28-2009 | 03:48 PM
NonPCnraRN
Stage II

Originally Posted by Dixie Dreg
imo the best boots are made by Chippewa. i like the 8 inch logger boots , they have Vibram lug soles that are really great for shedding rocks. They last forever and they are extremely comfortable. As far as gloves go I couldn't tell you, I have a pair that I got at Kohls that work real well. They aren't motorcycle specific but they keep my hands warm.
I also like Chippewa Packer Boots. I bought them for Cowboy Action Shooting as they are 1800s period correct but they turned out great for walking and riding. They look like cowboy boots that lace up. They are GoreTex lined and I can stand in 10" of water and my feet stay dry. They lace up as tight or as loose as you want them. They were all day comfortable right out of the box. I pulled the insole that came with them and added a gel insole for winter use with thick socks. I use the original insole and the gel insole with thin socks in the summer. They are brown so for those who only wear black they would not be for you. They make black packer boots but I don't recall that they were GoreTex lined. I like dry feet.

I also have Danner Acadia boots. They are military black style made of leather and synthetic fabric and are GoreTex lined. The synthetic fabric keeps them lighter than an all leather boot. I use the same trick, 2 insoles and light socks for summer and the gel sole only with thick socks for winter. Again, cold, wet feet suck.

Old 10-28-2009 | 03:54 PM
GetLost☠1982
Road Captain

the most expensive ones you can afford.

Old 10-28-2009 | 04:14 PM
mavrickFLHR
Road Master

Plus one on Danner.. I have two pair of Danner's.. lightweight 8 inch Stryker duty boots.. I got them for competitive shooting.. IDPA / USPSA but they work great as summer riding boots. They're light and gortex lined. I also have the 8 inch Danner Acaida boots.. bought them for shooting as well and like the other poster said, they're great for riding.. they're heavier, and not quite as flexible as the Stryker's but they provide great foot and ankle support, they are gortex and they're very comfortable.

Aside from that Cruiserworks and Chippewa both make great lineman style boots, both made the US and both are high quaility.

Finally, I have a pair of Harley FXRG boots I got on sale last fall and the truth is I wear them alot. It took some time for them to break in but once they did I've found them to be very comfortable. They're sort of like a half way boot between the Acaida and Stryker.. and as I said, I wear them alot.

Gloves.. first, I'm not big on fingerless gloves so I can't help with those since I don't wear 'em.. So as far as fingered gloves go.. I have a pair of uninsulated basic kangaroo skin glove from cabela's. They are light, and surprisingly warm when it gets cold. I also have a pair of lightweight leather perforated Harley gloves which are just exceptional as far as lightweight gloves go. For the cold I have a pair of BMW winter riding gloves with a gauntlet.. and a pair of Firstgear insulated gauntlet winter gloves. The FG gloves are the better of the two. I'm very happy with the FG's

cheers

mavrick

Last edited by mavrickFLHR; 10-28-2009 at 04:35 PM.
Old 10-28-2009 | 04:25 PM
BWLucky13
Road Master

Whatever on the boots. If the shoe fits.... But, gloves are a serious topic. On occasion, I might be seen in the 'hood without a helmet, but never without gloves. I feel pretty good with five pair now. One pair woven back fingerless, two pair perforated leather fingerless, one pair regular leather, and one pair of Goretex, insulated, fabric gauntlets. Harley has some good gloves. Yes, they are spendy. The only pair that I would strongly recommend are the Harley gauntlet gloves with Goretex. Heaven only knows what the wife paid for them, but on a cold, wet day they make me smile.

If you've been down you know what gloves are worth. If you haven't, one day you will.

Old 10-28-2009 | 04:57 PM
bobbydeuce
Cruiser

I wear Chippewa and love them. My buddy just bought these for $27 and he swears by them.

http://big5sportinggoods.shoplocal.c...ailerid=-98565

Old 10-28-2009 | 05:08 PM
BoomerBob
Elite HDF Member

For cold weather I've been wearing Thurlow's Deer Skin Gauntlet's for the past 25 years or so. I'm on my second pair because I wore out the lining inside the first pair. They are located in San Diego if they are still in business. If not the Chilowee Deer Skin gloves are the same it appears.

I like deer skin because you get the warmth without all the bulk.

Last edited by BoomerBob; 10-28-2009 at 05:26 PM.
Old 10-28-2009 | 05:09 PM
Tilter
Tourer

Love my water-proof tourmasters. Harley Gloves are pretty good but Lee Parks Deer skin gloves are incredible.

Quick Reply: Who makes the best riding boots and gloves?