General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: A poll
Would not buy a new Harley if cannot change pipes
26.32%
Would consider buying one
19.14%
Maybe buy one later if quiet Harleys are accepted
0.96%
Will buy one, noise don't matter
53.59%
Voters: 209. You may not vote on this poll

Would you buy a Harley if you couldn't change the pipes

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2006, 12:51 PM
Reino
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Would you buy a Harley if you couldn't change the pipes

Below is a quote from the latest HEAVY DUTY mag down here in Australia. Looks like the MoCo is worried big time the quiet pipes will hurt sales. All I can say is that we face some interesting times in the near future as to most of us it is the noise that makes Harley what it is.
As the EPA tightens its grip on noise and emissions we will not be able to ride our bikes as they are now. It'll be interesting to see how this poll turns out, I hope the MoCo spies see it.

SQUAKIN' EAGLE?
Following a statement by Harley-Davidson president Jim McCaslin regarding complaints about motorcycle noise, official accessory brand Screamin' Eagle will not make race exhausts to fit street legal motorcycles.
"There is a growing issue of excessive motorcycle noise" said McCaslin.
"We've faced many challenges here at Harley-Davidson Motor Company, but we feel this may be one of the thoughest because of its potential to divide and destroy our lifestyle", said McCaslin.
" But, this is an unavoidable, so we must find a way to come together to address this critical issue," The issue is a hot topic in the US where the EPA have ramped up efforts to have all motorcycles comply with ever tougher noise and emission laws. All sales of race pipes will cease with the introduction of the 2007 range. Screamin' Eagle will still market a range of EPA compliant exhausts however.

Old 07-06-2006, 12:57 PM
WillyHD
Road Master
Default RE: Would you buy a Harley if you couldn't change the pipes

You can always make it louder. You don't aftermarket pipes to do that, just a hole saw and some vicegrips. I bought it for the stigma attached and the way that makes me feel, not the noise.

Old 07-06-2006, 01:02 PM
12Stones
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Considering I still have the stock pipes, I'm not too concerned. Though, the day may come so I want the option for louder when it does.

Old 07-06-2006, 01:03 PM
Clammy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,857 Likes on 807 Posts

Not being able to go with louder pipes would not prevent me from buying a Harley. I wouldn't be as happy with it as I am with mine now, but as long as the look and feel remains, I could live with less volume.

Cheers!
[sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif]

Old 07-06-2006, 01:04 PM
timbo
Cruiser

Well I've owned Harley's for the past 6 years, and I must say that if I can no longer modify the engine or change the pipes to my liking then chances are my next bike will be a BMW. Why? Well lets see....for instance the K1200GT, over 150 HP, heated seats, grips, powered windshield 4 wheel ABS, navigation, superior electronic 3 way suspension. Must I go on?

I've got the Ultra and the wife has a Deluxe. Yeah, they sure are pretty. But lets face it, they are complete dogs straight out of the factory. All I gotta say is that Harley better get on the ball and start crankin out bikes with more options like ABS, and certainly wayyyy more power, especially with all this quiet pipe talk going on. They are definitely going to have to find those aces in the hole to pull them through these challenges. My hopes are high, but it's a big wait and see for now.

Old 07-06-2006, 01:09 PM
CraigC
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: timbo

All I gotta say is that Harley better get on the ball and start crankin out bikes with more options.....
Why? They sell all they can make now. Didn't I just read where they beat finally beat Honda in domestic sales?

Old 07-06-2006, 01:12 PM
Ouiser
Advanced

At the very least, the stock pipes need to be more attractive. I will be changing out the stock pipes on my WG mainly for the performance improvement, but even without that, they would have to go cuz they ugly.

Old 07-06-2006, 01:14 PM
HarleyWood
Outstanding HDF Member

mine is stock '06, and will likeley remain stock for te forseeable future....so yes

I think it sound better now that I have about 3000 miles on it, doesn't have that deep rumble.....but its not like a GW or volkswagon either

Old 07-06-2006, 01:19 PM
eddybo69
Road Master

I choose to keep stock pipes on my ultra because I like to hear the radio, but I do not think they can keep me from making any bike louder. If I have to make my own flanges, weld O2 bungs in aftermarket pipes, or make my own pipes, my bikes (other than tourer) are going to be obnoxiously loud. I know a good number of harley riders and do not really think the moco can come up with any way to build an exhaust where the end user cannot figure out a way to modify. That being said I would probably buy Harley even if they figure out a way to build exhaust that could not be modified.

Old 07-06-2006, 01:20 PM
HarleyWood
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: timbo

Well I've owned Harley's for the past 6 years, and I must say that if I can no longer modify the engine or change the pipes to my liking then chances are my next bike will be a BMW. Why? Well lets see....for instance the K1200GT, over 150 HP, heated seats, grips, powered windshield 4 wheel ABS, navigation, superior electronic 3 way suspension. Must I go on?

I've got the Ultra and the wife has a Deluxe. Yeah, they sure are pretty. But lets face it, they are complete dogs straight out of the factory. All I gotta say is that Harley better get on the ball and start crankin out bikes with more options like ABS, and certainly wayyyy more power, especially with all this quiet pipe talk going on. They are definitely going to have to find those aces in the hole to pull them through these challenges. My hopes are high, but it's a big wait and see for now.
Timbo,
You are certainly entitled to your opinion, and it may be shared by many.....but for me, and I believe many others as well....oh hell If I have to explain.....

Quick Reply: Would you buy a Harley if you couldn't change the pipes