General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: A poll
Would not buy a new Harley if cannot change pipes
26.32%
Would consider buying one
19.14%
Maybe buy one later if quiet Harleys are accepted
0.96%
Will buy one, noise don't matter
53.59%
Voters: 209. You may not vote on this poll

Would you buy a Harley if you couldn't change the pipes

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2006, 03:28 PM
grunt
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Would you buy a Harley if you couldn't change the pipes

Mine are not straight-pipe loud, and I do not get into that over-revving BS either. AFA the EPA, they can suck-it, because for the vehicles around me, they know I'm there due to the rumble. And UNTIL they are going to address the issue of moron drivers which is far more distressing than some excess noise, I'll do what it takes to keep my ride safe.

Effluvium Penetrated ***-holes, that's the EPA

Old 07-06-2006, 03:36 PM
ronster
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes i would even if i weren't able to change the pipes( but glad i can,and did)

Old 07-06-2006, 04:24 PM
sfarson
Road Master

While many are voting in the poll it doesn't matter if the Harley is quiet or not, I don't quite believe it. Or, it isn't reflective of reality. Opening the exhaust note of the luscious air cooled V-Twin is a key part of the experience for many, and based on what I hear with 95% of Harleys going by on the road, it really matters. If it wasn't so important we'd see a lot more stock exhausts... which I don't think are so bad btw. Just look at the various Harley forums with areas dedicated to exhaust issues. I think Harley executives are right on with this. Strangled and quiet Harleys would have a very, very negative impact on the business.

Here's what's ironic about all this. I ride other brands as well, and it is totally business as usual... aftermarket exhausts, de-restricting, throwing away catalytic converters, etc. No change, no hand wringing, no discussion.

Harley is taking the lead with this, partially so the EPA can see Milwaukee's leadership and not crack down with enforcement. Harley recognizes a quiet Harley is not part of the Harley legacy and experience.

Would add FWIW, it is a low and deep exhaust note causing knees to shake. Not a loud one. Too many confuse this. Too many have loud and ghastly pipes, blasting them selfishly. It is the latter that has the combination of a nasty sound and community disgust. If Harley riders would not try to outloud each other, Milwaukee would be very pleased and more would have the sound that really delivers the exotic music... low and deep.

Old 07-06-2006, 04:34 PM
Keith_H
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm thinking on adding an 07 bagger and will keep stock pipes on it.
Of course I still will have the Low Rider for raising hell and making noise.
The part I don't get is I can change my exhaust and make all the noise I want with my cars. Trucks come down the road and Jake Break my house off the foundation and that's okay. The last city bus I was next to put out more pollution in one block than any vehicle I ever owned put out in ten years. Not many other vehicles even come close to a bikes gas mileage. It's almost discriminatory.

Hopefully with their new venture of going after lawn mowers they'll loose interest in bikes. Lawnmowers, now there is a righteous cause, i'd be embarrassed to work for them.

Old 07-06-2006, 04:46 PM
Angry_Inch
Road Master

No vote from me, the poll is too narrow.

I would still have gotten my WG and I am still gonna change my pipes.

But.. the EPA isn't going to lock me down without a fight.

I see these posts that 'don't get it' concerning the exhaust note and that worries me.I understand some like it quiet, and others liking the rumble. Either way, it should be a choice, not some political-mandate.

The EPA can bite me.

Old 07-06-2006, 04:49 PM
rap87
Tourer

Sheesh...I'm not one of those that revs the throttle down neighborhoods at 2am with my loud pipes, but since when did bikers really give a **** about what people think of their bike or their pipes, you think the cagers give a **** if they cut you off and your on their hood? Answer is no, they are too busy on their cell phone, maybe they'll hear my pipes though...if not, so what...I got them for me, but I don't give a damn if they like it or not its the middle of the day, or its late at night on a main road. Go ride a Goldwing if ya wanted it quiet...I don't wanna see Harley associated with the quiet friendly neighborhood motorcycle...thats for Hondas!

P.S. Exactly Above Poster!

Old 07-06-2006, 04:57 PM
grunt
Extreme HDF Member

What the EPA constanly does is force people to keep their older vehicles to end-around their dumbass rules. My car cannot be altered in Dallas w/o them freaking out, but my near 30 yr old truck is exempt so I could run it on lead paint for all they care.

Same thing will happen w/bikes. The grandfather bikes that were made before they finally shut down bike mods like cars will be snapped up, and it will cost more and more to fix your own since you won't have access to their enforcement parts.

And this is by far such a random 'noise' problem that the EPA should not be dealing with it anyway. That is for local law enforcement. Noise is not a lingering pollution, and the only physical harm comes from long exposure to dBA's far above the bikes for a long period of time.

Old 07-06-2006, 05:01 PM
rap87
Tourer

Well, I'm sure this 06 Dyna frame will hold up awhile...think 20 years from now I could just switch out with a brand new engine and throw new pipes on her [sm=biker2.gif] !

Old 07-06-2006, 05:41 PM
Cryptoboy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,878 Likes on 1,415 Posts

ORIGINAL: timbo

Well I've owned Harley's for the past 6 years, and I must say that if I can no longer modify the engine or change the pipes to my liking then chances are my next bike will be a BMW. Why? Well lets see....for instance the K1200GT, over 150 HP, heated seats, grips, powered windshield 4 wheel ABS, navigation, superior electronic 3 way suspension. Must I go on?
Well that means it isn't a motorcycle right? I mean 4 wheel ABS, don't you mean the BMW 330ci?

The funny thing about the noise, how they are harping on that. Have you ever heard some of those trucks out there, the big duallies, diesels, and those with the V10? They are pretty loud if you ask me! There are some Harley's that are louder, but based on that, there are some cars out there that are louder. Given how well they are soundproofing the cars these days, it shouldn't be as big a deal and people are making it to be.

Old 07-06-2006, 05:45 PM
GOSTAZ
Road Master

My bike ran like sh+t with the stock injectors and pipes. So, if that is what Harley wants me to ride? The answer is NO!

Quick Reply: Would you buy a Harley if you couldn't change the pipes