General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heated Gear..to have or have not!

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 11:30 AM
utahdyna
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heated Gear..to have or have not!

So we ride with a large group we know thru our local HOG chapter. They mostly have Ultra's, the women are all passengers ( except myself and one other gal), and they all have every piece of heated gear known to man.

At our last run down to Las Vegas from Salt Lake it was about 32 degree's when we left at 7am in the morning, and of-course it got colder along the way as we hit higher elevations. So it was FREEZING!

My hubby & I, had on thermals, all our leather gear. We are pretty well prepared for these temps. But needless to say you still get cold. At every stop all the "heated gear group" for lack of a better term , all made fun of us for not jumping on the heated gear bandwagon. and while at the moment I would have loved to have it, we didnt'.

We kinda feel like that riding a motorcycle should be alittle more "rustic" ( again I am looking for a better term). Having a CB,GPS ,Radio,Heated Gear, a fairing, and lower fairings, in our minds can take away from our experience. We do not put anyone down for what they want, it is just not our thing.

So I guess it is human nature to expect that everyone likes what we each like. My question is....when is all the technology going to take away from the true experience of just riding?

Riding is pretty simple, and that is the way I like it. Your on the road, bike and you. The wind hits you, rain hits you, hail hits you. The quiet and noise at the same time is like music., You get a chance to completely clear your head, of phones, and worries about work or home. It is you, your bike on the road. Seeing wonderful places and things, meeting great people and hopefully riding with those that share that passion.

OK, I will get off my soap box, just wondering what others feel about this subject. Not trying to offend, just really interested.

Old 10-27-2009, 11:42 AM
Redleg by God!
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your ride, your choice. I like feeling my fingers and enjoying a cold weather ride as long as possible, but that is my opinion. YMMV.

Old 10-27-2009, 11:48 AM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I've gotten away without heated gear after all this time. The secret is just buying good normal stuff. Anything with thinsulate is good, under armour and columbia titanium will keep ya toasty, lots of other stuff out there too.

Old 10-27-2009, 12:01 PM
utahdyna
Advanced

Yeah I agree. Those we rode with acted like we were just cheap ( think of that we have two Harley's and are not cheap). Neither is a Ultra ( Road King & Super Glide) and they do not have the plug-in's the Ultra's have. We realize those are not hard to add, just never were interested in doing so.

Old 10-27-2009, 12:04 PM
H20DOG
Outstanding HDF Member

I love my heated gear. Gets me a few extra weeks of riding at the end and the begining of the riding season.
If you like to ride and do not like to be cold heated gear is the answer. It provides the warmth without the bulk.

Old 10-27-2009, 12:12 PM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

What I like about heated gear is that you don't have to dress up like an eskimo. The liners and a lightweight coat or windbreaker is all you need. If it warms up all you need to do is strip off the liners.

I understand Gerbing recently came out with some new technology (microwire) that's even better than what we have.

Good rain and heat gear is a blessing far as I'm concerned because it allows us the freedom to ride anytime we want (barring ice).

Old 10-27-2009, 12:12 PM
H20DOG
Outstanding HDF Member

I saw that you used the word Rustic to describe riding should be a little more rustic. It made me giggle a bit. I love to deer hunt and the thought of me in my deer stand with just a loin cloth may be not only rustic , but freaken cold.

http://www.bikiniscience.com/costumes/culotte_SS/loincloth_S/loincloth.html

Old 10-27-2009, 12:20 PM
bigdoghd
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I feel you do what ya have to do. Me personally, I believe the radio, heated grips, clothing and GPS all enhance my riding experience. So as they say, to each their own. I have a set of heated gear and haven't tried it out yet. I did do a trip around lake Michigan and it was 28 degrees when we took off in Escanaba........thank god a buddy of mind lent me his chaps (blessing) and heavy leather HD jacket. Between the layers, helmut and heated grips, I was very comfy while riding.

Old 10-27-2009, 12:26 PM
WildBill_50
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I just started wear heated gear this year. Personally I like the warmth especially at 5:30 in the morning on the way to work. But that is what I like, to each their own so if you perfer to bundle up then go for it. I think everyone is entitled to do what makes them happy riding and should not put someone else down because they do not share the same view point.

Old 10-27-2009, 12:30 PM
Pussboy
Cruiser
Default All you need is an electric vest!

An electric vest will keep your fingers and toes warm. It packs down small and will really extend your riding season. It will also cut down on the layers you need to wear. The aerostich are good vests. I currently have one of the tourmasters that i bought at iron pony. It works great too. Make sure it fits you snug and wear it close to your base layers for maximum heat transfer. You dont really need heated pants or socks or even gloves as long as you have good regular gear.

Here is an explanation from:

http://www.aerostich.com/aerostich-s...etsu-electrics

Why You Need an Electric Vest
(Fundamentals of Biological Cooling in Mammals)

When you were a kid, your mom yelled at you to wear your hat and boots, even made you wear those dorky mittens attached to your coat with strings. When you asked why, she just said “Because I told you to.” Mom had the right idea, but here’s a better explanation. When you get cold, your body automatically decreases the amount of blood circulating to your limbs and skin in order to decrease the rate of heat loss and protect the head and vital organs for the longest possible time. So when you’re riding through a damp 55° evening and your hands and feet feel frozen, it’s because your body is trying to protect you by shutting off some of the blood to your extremities. An electric vest will ‘fake out’ your body by keeping your trunk warm, then plenty of warm blood will be allowed to circulate to your fingers and toes, letting you ride in greater comfort and control. The difference is so dramatic that you may never take another trip without an electric vest.

Quick Reply: Heated Gear..to have or have not!