General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heated Gear..to have or have not!

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 12:33 PM
skootchnc
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 502 Likes on 260 Posts

People have ridden motorcycles for decades without the use of heated gear. Many still do ride, it's YOUR choice, your decision.

But I will say... do NOT under any circumstances allow anyone to lend you their heated gear, for a "test run"
You will see that warm and toasty, is a GOOD thing.

There are lots of un-heated gear you can use, and if it's a ride here, and another ride there... they are fine, but for those 5 days a weel pre-dawn commutes? gimme the gerbings, and crank 'em UP!!

Old 10-27-2009, 01:31 PM
FXDXTSport
Stellar HDF Member
Received 541 Likes on 241 Posts

I find that I can keep my body reasonably warm with proper clothing (non heated) in any weather, except for my hands. I don't have a fairing to block the wind from my hands and haven't found a set of gloves that work well below about 40 degrees. I think it is dangerous to be riding when your hands are frozen numb. So, I did break down and buy heated grips. Made a world of difference and I don't have to"plug" myself into the bike. Like I tell my brother with his Ultra Classic and all his electronic gear (radio, GPS, CB, heated clothes, cruise control, etc), I don't want half a car, I want a motorcycle. Just kidding. To each his own. As long as you're on two wheels, who cares what type of cloths you wear and yes, it would be best if most of you (us) did wear cloths while riding.

Old 10-27-2009, 01:33 PM
Steve On 3
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

I think it boiks down to choice, If the azzhats in the HOG group want to dog you for not wearing heated stuff, then find other folks to ride with. Or give it back to them, call them RUBS and then explain that you are naturally warm people who have an inner glow . Tell them it's the 2 quarts of jack daniel you drank before you left that keeps you warm. Then see what they say

Bubba

Old 10-27-2009, 01:47 PM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,198 Likes on 7,371 Posts

The wife and I bought each other the complete Gerbing setup last year for Christmas.

I think it is the best money we have spent.

We put at least a 1000 miles on the bike last winter that we would not have enjoyed without it.

Sorry but I want to be comfortable and I'm not going to enjoy myself if I freezing.

We left the house one day and it was very sunny but only 18 degrees and had a wonderful ride. There is no way we would have riden that day without it.

Ride safe

Old 10-27-2009, 02:15 PM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 883 Likes on 439 Posts

Anything that extends the riding season is a Good Thing.

As long as it isn't icy, I can ride and be warm, and I'm not wearing so many layers that I can't move. The cold affects your attention, judgement, and reflexes. That's a Bad Thing.

I like riding in the cold weather, I just don't like being cold. My Gerbings gear took me from a 7-month rider to a 12-month.

That's a Really Good Thing.

Old 10-27-2009, 03:14 PM
cogener8
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought the gloves,jacket,thermostat and to tell ya the truth Im starting to think I wastedmoney. Not because its not great because it is. But in my area I have found that once it is really cold enough to need it the roads arent safe for bikes (at least not for me,I dont do snow and ice).I have almost tried to sell em a couple times but the wife keeps saying keep em.If I lived where it got cold and roads stayed good they are a huge plus.One thing- in my mind you have to be going a good ways cause the wiring is a pain even with all the hookups.

Old 10-27-2009, 03:28 PM
mark10
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

i kinda agree with the riding rustic thing. but i have the ultra with the gps etc etc. i like the heated hand grips. but i don't have heated clothes. i have enough to keep completely comfortable for extdended periods down to around 40. once it gets below freezing for the most part roads could be icy and quite often are. but i could ride in 20 with minimal trouble. might have to stop and warm up occassionaly.
if i really want some additional heat, i will use those thin foot warmers or sole warmers. cost about a dollar for a pair and work for 6 to 8 hours.
don't mind the cold until it affects my judgement.

if i was able to i would have multiple bikes, but for now the ultra is it, although i can use the daughters sportster that she left in my care.

Old 10-27-2009, 04:07 PM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 883 Likes on 439 Posts

It's a different story with an Ultra. You've got that big batwing and lowers to keep the wind off of you. The Windvest on my bike helps a lot, but when it gets really cold, it's like pissing in the ocean.

Old 10-27-2009, 04:19 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

Maybe people riding Ultras and Goldwings are accustomed to being so protected from the elements, including sounds because of radios, that they need electric warmth more than riders of naked bikes.

Does any company make an electric, heated face mask. That's what I need.

Old 10-27-2009, 04:38 PM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,198 Likes on 7,371 Posts

I appreciate the comments regarding ice. That has to be the #1 concern. Down here you can count on one hand the number of days we see ice and snow during the winter season. I always watch the forecast and as long as there is not any moisture in the forecast and there has not been any then the roads are clear and it really extends the season.

Up where some of you live I would store my bike in a trailer and try to escape south at the first opportunity!

Ride safe

Last edited by Cosmic Razorback; 10-28-2009 at 07:56 AM.

Quick Reply: Heated Gear..to have or have not!