General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

floor jack for washing the bike

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 02:09 AM
RK4ME
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,318 Likes on 1,445 Posts

I use the Handy lift table for all of my work except front wheel removal; for that I use the Sears yellow jack. I think it's a quality tool and I have no complaints about it. If I used a lift for washing my bike, I'd want to blow it off with compressed air afterwards which would delay my post-wash ride.

Old 10-28-2009, 03:24 AM
mike5511
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Have used the Sears red jack for last two bikes, Heritage and Ultra. No problems at all and I am not looking to replace it. The only reason I wouldn't buy another one is it is a bit tall and a tight fit, and I think the others mentioned here are a little shorter. But, if I was buying again I would look at the yellow sears jack or the HF aluminum jack. I won't argue that these jacks aren't made as good as the J&S or Pitbull, but like I said, I've never had a problem with the Sears red jack. They work just fine. Why spend more money????

Old 10-28-2009, 04:48 AM
Sandcrab
Stellar HDF Member
Received 391 Likes on 231 Posts
Default Interesting

Originally Posted by CroK
You guys who have the Harbor Freight jack, might want to check the way you depress the footlever for releasing... Mine is setup to go either fast or slow. To engage slower movement you simply depress the footlever completely. To release fast you depress the footlever no more than about half way.

That piece of paper which dropped on the floor after opening the box was the instruction sheet!

I'll give it a try. Maybe that's why it drops so fast because I am trying to just crack the valve a little to allow it to go down slowly and what I have been doing is just the opposite of what needed to be done if the above works.

Old 10-28-2009, 05:33 AM
KopperTop
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I do the roll forward/back routine. A whole lot easier than dragging out the jack and hoisting the bike up. I have wide white walls and those are my primary concerns. I switched from the laced profile to the black wagon wheels about a year ago, and you can't see enough of the wheels to really care about detailing them on an Ultra.

Old 10-28-2009, 06:35 AM
bdp
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Sandcrab
I'll give it a try. Maybe that's why it drops so fast because I am trying to just crack the valve a little to allow it to go down slowly and what I have been doing is just the opposite of what needed to be done if the above works.
Well, reading that got me excited! My only complaint with this HF jack is the fast release. What an easy fix.

6:20 am and I'm out in the garage lifting my bike, doesn't matter how I touch the pedal. The jack releases fast. Now I know they will release slow cuz a buddy of mine has one and I've seen it work.

Guess it really doesn't matter as long as you know its coming down quik before-hand

Old 10-28-2009, 06:54 AM
usmcbay
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

$160 at Harbor Freight... Aluminum Frame and I have been using this with my RK and my Dad uses it for his Ultra...

Attached Thumbnails floor jack for washing the bike-dsc05188.jpg  
Old 10-28-2009, 09:08 AM
morrishuckeba
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Craftsman jack, which is the yellow one, aluminum works well

Old 10-28-2009, 09:33 AM
RoadKingRon1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The Sears red, yellow and HF are all comparable. Those who say the yellow is higher quality are just wrong. What makes the yellow more expensive is aluminum. The hydraulics are the same (imported).

I've had the HF jack for about 5 years. Wife bought it for me one year as a present. I also wanted a more expensive better quality jack but didn't want to hurt wifey's feelings. It has held up well.

There are threads here where guys are on their second or third hydraulic bottle even for the more expensive jacks. So some maintenance can be expected.

Things to look for:

A foot pump, IMO, is an absolute necessity. Allows you to have both hands on the bike.

Lowered jack height. Make sure it will roll under your particualr bike. The HF rolls under my RK nicely but I have to lift my wife's Deluxe a little for clearance.

Quality steel casters. Greaseable?

I like a removable handle if you are storing for winter months.

Ride safe
Ron

Old 10-28-2009, 09:54 AM
teedubya
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I have used the sears red lift for both the Ultra and my Venture. The Ultrs doesn't have the ground clearance that the Venture did so you have to stand it just a little towards center. Not sure what I'd replace with, the jack that is. One thing that I really miss is a private made stand that connected to the Venture at the center of the bike and had removeable legs. You would attach this stand to the bike, put your jack under it and lift it. You would then attach the legs and remove your jack. I have left the Venture sit on that stand for as long as a month at a time during the winter detailing process. Removed the wheels and even sat on the bike while it was on the stand. Does anyone here know if there is such a stand like this that is used on the HD's? With the bike on the stand you were off the ground approx. 1 foot.

Old 10-28-2009, 11:41 AM
hullhorr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 184 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by bdp
My HF drops fast too. Any known cure for this. Friend has the same HF and it works perfect.
Need a lighter foot. LOL!

I have the Sears red one and no problems. Bought it 3-years ago and works great. On sale + my craftsman club = $59.99

Quick Reply: floor jack for washing the bike