General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing Rotor Bolts

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 05:12 PM
Figstr
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Removing Rotor Bolts

Since I have my back tire off and am waiting for a replacement tire, I decided to take off my rotors and polish them. Unfortunatly Magilla Gorilla put them on and I wound up stripping one of the bolt heads (torx). How do I get the darn things out without stripping them? I'll be taking it to my indy to get the stripped one out but would like to know the secret to getting the rest out on my own.

Old 10-26-2009, 06:23 PM
Theo
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just so you know, the manual says that after removing the bolts, you are to replace them with new ones. So I don't know if I would polish them and then reuse them. But regarding your question getting them out, I can't help.

Old 10-26-2009, 06:25 PM
bubbabear
Road Master
Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Drill it and use an E-Z out.

Old 10-26-2009, 06:30 PM
fmudge
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure this applies, but almost every HD bolt calls for a threadlocker product. I would imagine the rotor bolts do as well. In that case in the future I would recommend heat to brake the threadlocker and help loosen the bolts. Should prevent stripping out the head in the future.

Old 10-26-2009, 06:33 PM
Theo
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fmudge
Not sure this applies, but almost every HD bolt calls for a threadlocker product. I would imagine the rotor bolts do as well. In that case in the future I would recommend heat to brake the threadlocker and help loosen the bolts. Should prevent stripping out the head in the future.
fmudge is right. Now I remember that the book calls for red loctite on each bolt so some heat should help to break the bond.

Old 10-26-2009, 06:38 PM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,132 Likes on 1,030 Posts

Originally Posted by Theo
fmudge is right. Now I remember that the book calls for red loctite on each bolt so some heat should help to break the bond.
Along with a impact driver and a big hammer!

Old 10-26-2009, 07:36 PM
jad
Road Captain

Originally Posted by will2002
Along with a impact driver and a big hammer!
That's it. A small amount of heat directly on the head will be enough to melt the locking compound. Then use an impact driver.
Be sure you do replace them, use correct locking compound and torque to spec.
I always clean the bolts with a small amount of alcohol to ensure there is no oil on them.

Old 10-26-2009, 07:43 PM
YtseJam
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

First, you tap on the bolt head to break the dried thread lock around the bolt, second, you get an impact screwdriver. I have yet to strip a head since I have done it this way..and I have changed out a lot of wheels! The best, (cheapest), place to get an impact screwdriver is Harbor Freight. I've had mine at least 3 years....works perfect. It will cost you less than $10..WITH a case.

Old 10-26-2009, 07:53 PM
Figstr
Road Captain

Originally Posted by YtseJam
First, you tap on the bolt head to break the dried thread lock around the bolt, second, you get an impact screwdriver. I have yet to strip a head since I have done it this way..and I have changed out a lot of wheels! The best, (cheapest), place to get an impact screwdriver is Harbor Freight. I've had mine at least 3 years....works perfect. It will cost you less than $10..WITH a case.

I have an impact driver but not the torx for it. I guess Harbor Freight would have the torx?

Old 10-26-2009, 07:56 PM
YtseJam
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Figstr
I have an impact driver but not the torx for it. I guess Harbor Freight would have the torx?
I'm not positive...I know they have Allen Sockets. You may want to call, but I know for sure that Sears does. I also think if you don't want to buy a whole set at Sears that they sell them seperately. They do around here....

Quick Reply: Removing Rotor Bolts