General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BOHICA! - Motorcycle deaths jump 150% - government wants to know why

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2009 | 10:04 AM
MidnitEvil
|
Ultimate HDF Member
Default BOHICA! - Motorcycle deaths jump 150% - government wants to know why

(Article below my comments)

I can see where this might end up... more push for helmet laws where there are none, push for stronger helmet laws where they already exist, more road side "safety checks", any other ways the government can come up with to protect us from ourselves and making our own choices.

I know times are tough, but, please do whatever you can to support groups like ABATE, the AMA, or any other group which fights to protect the rights of motorcyclists.

The below Article was in the Chicago Sun Times this past Sunday.

"Motorcycle deaths jump 150% -- government wants to know why

October 24, 2009

An acceleration in the number of motorcyclists dying on American roads has spurred the U.S. Federal Highway Administration to order a study to find out why.

The four-year project, conducted with Oklahoma State University, will examine the factors that have contributed to a 150 percent increase in motorcycle fatalities -- from 2,100 to 5,300 a year -- between 1997 and 2008. Last year, motorcycle deaths were 14 percent of all roadway fatalities.

Each crash will be dissected by analysts hunting for patterns, although experts say the growing toll is not a result of more motorcycles on the road. Road configurations, environmental conditions and rider skill levels will be examined.

The last full study of motorcycle crashes was conducted in 1981, and the conclusions were that alcohol, lack of training and lack of helmets were largely to blame.

Scripps Howard News Service"

http://www.suntimes.com/news/transpo...ycle25.article

Old 10-26-2009 | 10:07 AM
JW1200
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

government wants to know why

CELL PHONES in mfuo.......

Old 10-26-2009 | 10:15 AM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member

When I see an article that has the line in it, " The Experts Say", I know that we are gonna get " screwed"! I guess there would be NO WAY in HeII that more motorcycles on the road would = MORE motorcycle deaths ........Just make me sick.

Old 10-26-2009 | 10:21 AM
MidnitEvil
|
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by JW1200
government wants to know why

CELL PHONES in mfuo.......
Yeah... it sounds to me like they are going to look more at the motorcycles & riders, while possibly ignoring factors such as increased cell phone use by cagers.

Old 10-26-2009 | 10:23 AM
SleeplessinVegas
Outstanding HDF Member

More people riding because of the economy?

Old 10-26-2009 | 10:23 AM
humbuster
Tourer

Cell phones
Texting
Inexperienced riders and poseurs who spend more time polishing their chrome instead of polishing their riding skills.

Old 10-26-2009 | 10:36 AM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member

yup first thought crossed my mind that it's the inattentive drivers on the roads. Cell phones, texting, other chit. could also be age and skill of crotch rocket users trick riding, showing off, etc...

Old 10-26-2009 | 10:40 AM
skydrifter
Road Captain

Originally Posted by humbuster
Cell phones
Texting
Inexperienced riders and poseurs who spend more time polishing their chrome instead of polishing their riding skills.
I couldn't agee more cell phones and texting are just as bad as drunk driving.Also people riding beyond their skill level, some of these bikes have way too much power and speed for inexperieced riders.

Old 10-26-2009 | 10:47 AM
Savagehenry
Tourer

Cagers are definitely paying less and less attention to the road. I wonder what would happen if mfgrs replaced driver air bags with glass shard grenades. Think people would lay off the driving while texting a little?

In fairness (and more seriousness) I wonder if an increase in new riders is playing into the accident trend as well.

Old 10-26-2009 | 10:48 AM
yoacedeuce
Cruiser

Wonder if they actually track what happened to cause the accidents and what type of motorcycles were involved. I know it says that "The last full study of motorcycle crashes was conducted in 1981, and the conclusions were that alcohol, lack of training and lack of helmets were largely to blame." But it would make a world of difference if they actually tracked the "known causes," such as cager was on cell phone. Cager didn't see the rider, cager was yelling at kids in back seat, cager was eating and swerved, cager had a long night of drinking and was still drunk when driving to work, cager was speeding, etc, etc. I think you guys know what i'm getting at. Was just in Dallas news a couple weeks ago about some guy (i think he was 22 or so) was at bar with his girlfriend, he admitted to having a couple drinks and snorting coke, then races another crotch rocket (he was riding one, with gf on back), loses control and hits median, girlfriend dies and he's ok. Instead of bunching ALL motorcycles together, maybe they should actually track the sportbikes and cruisers separately. Maybe some of the "Experts" should actually be motorcycle riders too.

Quick Reply: BOHICA! - Motorcycle deaths jump 150% - government wants to know why