General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BOHICA! - Motorcycle deaths jump 150% - government wants to know why

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2009 | 10:55 AM
NSCoyote
Club Member

75% of fatalities have little to do with helmet laws or more motorcycles on the road. most fatalities are a result of a cager not caring or noticing a rider, a rider going beyond his skill level, or wildlife run in's * deer, porcupine,bear, scantly clad beaver or couger*. we as riders no there is an inherient risk in riding but we choose t oride anyway, why should the government be allowed t oput more laws in place to limit our enjoyment when we have knowingly chosen to ake part in riding. if they want to help lower fatalities make all cagers spend 1 year on a motorcycle *250cc or less* before being allowed to drive a cage, then do something to limit the amoutn of rice rockets showing off think open track days where these kids can get there adreniline out i na closed enviroment.
this is all my own opinion and not that of a scientific or legal nature

Old 10-26-2009 | 11:06 AM
big cahuna
Grand HDF Member

Maybe in new jersey where you can get a license to ride a bike over a three day weekend, might have something to do with it. They give you a crash course in three days with a test at the end and your papered up. Never a minutes worth of road experience, or the chance to navigate thru traffic. With that license you can purchase and ride any bike thats sold from a 90cc trail bike to a 502 boss hoss. Naa, That would have nothing to do with it.,,

Old 10-26-2009 | 12:06 PM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by big cahuna
Maybe in new jersey where you can get a license to ride a bike over a three day weekend, might have something to do with it. They give you a crash course in three days with a test at the end and your papered up. Never a minutes worth of road experience, or the chance to navigate thru traffic. With that license you can purchase and ride any bike thats sold from a 90cc trail bike to a 502 boss hoss. Naa, That would have nothing to do with it.,,
Three days, in 1982 when I got my license I took a written test (15 quetsions I think). Rode down the block, made a U turn and rode back. Only requirement was that I changed gear at least once and didn't drop the bike.
The MSF class is good, makes new riders think and gives them a chance to start out on a small bike.
I'd blame people, attitudes have changed. Everyone is in a hurry. Cell phones, eating and other multi-tasking while driving, in with cars and minivans with larger blind spots. And yes there are more vehicles on the roads these days.

Old 10-26-2009 | 12:18 PM
Skitzer
Road Master

This could turn out as a benefit to us. May cause outlawing of cell phone use in cars nationwide and more driver awareness of motorcyclists. This doesn't mean they will focus solely on us ..... at least that's my hope.

Old 10-26-2009 | 12:23 PM
skullhead
Road Master

Hey man @#$% happens and we all take our chances. With everything going on in this %^$# up world are motorcycle fatalities really that much of an issue? Is this really the best use for tax payers money? Is there really going to be some enlightening development after all is said and done that is going to reduce the dead bikers on the road?

Yep, it's a bad Monday already.

Old 10-26-2009 | 12:25 PM
The_Nothing_Man
Cruiser

Originally Posted by MidnitEvil
Yeah... it sounds to me like they are going to look more at the motorcycles & riders, while possibly ignoring factors such as increased cell phone use by cagers.

Agree on both.. Why not ban the cell phones while driving?

Old 10-26-2009 | 12:28 PM
Northbound Southerner
Elite HDF Member

I forsee a push for a national helmet law. The dates they are citing are close to the dates the speed limits changed and a lot of helmet laws went away. It had something to do with federal funding for roadways? Can't remember off the top of my head. I have to wear them anyway so, it wouldn't affect me. Not saying it is right or wrong, just that it is probably coming...

Old 10-26-2009 | 12:44 PM
Savagehenry
Tourer

Originally Posted by NSCoyote
If they want to help lower fatalities make all cagers spend 1 year on a motorcycle *250cc or less* before being allowed to drive a cage...
I know this will never happen, ^ but I totally agree it would make better drivers out of everyone. It would spike motorcycle awareness and overall greatly improve driving skills/habits. People are just too self involved today.

A little more realistically, I'd like to see anyone involved in a serious accident with a cycle lose their license (to drive a car) and force them to take to two wheels if they want to drive on the streets.

Not gonna happen but nice to think about.

Old 10-26-2009 | 12:51 PM
dv102
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Skitzer
This could turn out as a benefit to us. May cause outlawing of cell phone use in cars nationwide and more driver awareness of motorcyclists. This doesn't mean they will focus solely on us ..... at least that's my hope.
I agree if the majority of the deaths were the result of cagers on cell phones or by just not looking the DOT might ask the states to "educate" the cagers. However if the majority of the accidents are from driving to fast or if they are alcohol related the we may be in for a reeducation or worse the states lower the legal limit for those on a motorcycle.

Old 10-26-2009 | 12:53 PM
Mr.Softy
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force

I suppose it's our fault cagers are texting and talking on cell phones while not paying attention to their driving. Kinda of Ironic that texting is on the rise and bikers are getting killed in larger numbers.
I wish some of those experts would start riding bikes to see what the real problem is.

Last edited by Mr.Softy; 10-26-2009 at 01:01 PM.

Quick Reply: BOHICA! - Motorcycle deaths jump 150% - government wants to know why