General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How did YOU???

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2009, 03:48 PM
murd
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I was about 13 (1966) I use to go with my friend and his family every weekend or so to their camper in a campsite north of Toronto, Ontario. One Saturday, while we were hanging around the local store a massive police force converged into the area. Cruisers with four cops to a car jumping out, getting shot guns from the trunk and lining both sides of the road. "You kids stay" back one of the yelled. Wow... this was cool. Then we heard one of the parents say that a motorcycle "gang" was coming through to have a pig roast in the quarry. Double WOW!
The we heard them, off in the distance, and I remember the feeling I got in the pit of my stomach as I heard a hundred or so hogs off in the distance. Then they came around the corner. Cops shoulder to shoulder. There was no way these guys were going to be allowed to stop in this little town. They were Vagabonds. The scariest looking dudes I have eve seen. For some of you who recall the 60's, the greaser image was very popular and these guys looked like the rolled around in the mud before the left for their ride. Anyway, I couldn't care less about them, I was hooked on the bikes and the sound they made as the geared down for the bend in the road. Harleys. Some shiny, most not so much, and all I could think of was that one day I wanted to ride down the highway on a bike that made that sound and I'd be the coolest guy ever. We talked about that event for days. Not sure what ever became of the Vagabonds, but rumour was they were extremely bad azz. No toy runs for these guys.

Old 10-24-2009, 03:50 PM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by phillyrube
15 years old, rode the neighbors Honda 90. WOW!!! Saved up and bought my own 90, and kept it at a friends: no license, no inspection, no helmet, no insurance. I rode it everywhere. Joined the Navy in 1970, went off the boot, A and C schools, Vietnam, and back home a year later. Brought the bike home, my mom sez "What a cute bike", my buddies (??) start laughing, "HE'S HAD IT FOR 5 YEARS!!!!" Been riding something ever since, except a gap between 1982-1989, when my son was growing up.

Those Honda 90's were fun bikes for sure.

Here is one loaded up for a trip to the Artic Circle, complete with rifle and custom luggage...

Old 10-24-2009, 04:25 PM
BLKBAGGER
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had mini bikes and rode some trail 50s but my dad bought me a Hodaka Super rat. We went camping out in the desert and he turned me loose. I was in heaven. I never looked back and have been riding ever since. here is what one looks like for you younger guys. That was back in 1973 i think.

Attached Thumbnails How did YOU???-hodaka1970sr02.jpg  
Old 10-24-2009, 05:51 PM
Rustell
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It must of been that neighbor we had when I was 6. He had this Indian that was Fire engine Red...had the saddlebags and fringe..the works. I would run to the end of the driveway to watch him go by..and he always waved to me.The next year my family moved to Germany...there were Scooters and Mopeds everywhere.A friends older brother had a real motorcycle parked in his basement,waiting for him to turn 16..I remember climbing all over that bike.. Back stateside...all I could do was dream growing up..my parents were dead set against anything to do with "murdercycles"...When I turned 18...I could legally buy a motorcycle.Bought a 1964 Sears 106. You would of thought I was Marlon Brando..at least the girls did.Except for a few years when I was young and poor, I have always had at least 1 bike.Raced Motocross and Enduros for close to 20 years..Forty years and 20 bikes later,I'm retired now..and everyday is Saturday to ride, and I always wave to the little kids at the end of their driveway..

Old 10-24-2009, 06:48 PM
kykurnal
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"Then Came Bronson' and that Sporty...

Old 10-24-2009, 07:07 PM
RCB
Road Warrior

My dad, uncle and all their friends were bikers. I learned to ride a mini bike at 5 much like the one posted by2kids3pets. Got my first real motorcyle Yamaha YZ 80 when I was 8 and have LOVED every minute ever since when on two wheels.

Old 10-24-2009, 08:51 PM
bigjames19
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I grew up near a biker bar back in the 70's called The Right Track Inn, in Freeport LI. Every sunday there would be dozens of bikes parked out front wrapping around the corner, thats when the affair began for me.

Old 10-24-2009, 09:13 PM
streeteagle
Club Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

There was a Marlon Brando "Wild One" type guy in the town I grew up in in WV. He rode an early 50's Harley & I though he was just the coolest dude I ever saw. I knew then there was going to be a Harley in my future.

Old 10-24-2009, 09:48 PM
Jordy806
Cruiser

I was a teenager and just had to have a bike,a couple of my friends had enduro's. I saved my money and bough a used kawasaki 175. I road the hell out of that bike.Always wanted a Harley though. Couldent even think of it till a couple of years ago,now Im on my 2nd Hog.

Old 10-24-2009, 09:56 PM
stick_hd
Cruiser

I had always wanted a Harley since I was a kid. I think what stood out more than anything to me was that classic sound. After I got out of high school and saved up some money I bought a new 2004 Busa. And now in 2009 I finally got that new harley I'd always wanted.

Quick Reply: How did YOU???