General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Being seen by the other guy!

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2009, 07:14 AM
mtowner
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Being seen by the other guy!

Well the Harley shop started to due the repairs last week, on my '09 Heritage from the wreck on 7-25-09. Close to $7000.00 worth of damage was done to the bike. I had them put a headlight modulator in and a taillight and turn signal modulator also. After what happened, I'm going to try to make myself and the bike to be more visible. Hopefully with the headlight flashing during the day will help me to be seen, so some S. O. B. won't pull out in front of me again.

Old 10-24-2009, 08:12 AM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,132 Likes on 1,030 Posts

Well,, I hope that it helps, but I wouldn't hold my breath. The SOBs can't see ya when that aren't REALLY looking for ya.

Old 10-24-2009, 08:16 AM
rjmac53
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

keep us posted on the progress...

Old 10-24-2009, 08:19 AM
njdiver
Road Captain

Sorry to hear about your accident, but don't think that if you light up the bike the azzholes will see you any better. It has been my experience that no matter what you do some ******** will still pull out in front of you or turn in front of you, just because they don't give a s**t.

Ride safe and good luck with the "new" bike.

Old 10-24-2009, 08:21 AM
2Sore
Road Master

That won't work. I had a headlight modulator on a '81 Sportster way back when and a guy in a semi truck pulled out in front of me and totalled it.

Studies have shown that it's more difficult to judge the distance of a oncoming rider with a modulator.

Old 10-24-2009, 08:29 AM
exemexer
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do whatever you think you have to do to be more visible. I agree that visibility and defensive riding are our biggest safety assets. And Yes, the azzoles are blind to the bikes but you'll at least improve your odds. And in the meantime just presume they're all gonna pull some stupid sh__.

Old 10-24-2009, 08:31 AM
mtowner
Tourer

What pisses me off the most, when he got out of his truck he said he did see us, then he said he was looking at the other traffic which was in front of me.

If the flashing headlight prevents one person from pulling out in front of me that's money well spent. But your right on the other idiots, that won't stop the most of them that are not paying attention.

The worst thing out of all of this, is my wife will probably never get on a motorcycle again, and she loved to ride. She just finished up her second surgery on her lower leg last week. It will be months before she is able to walk using that left leg, it really took a beating...

Old 10-24-2009, 08:32 AM
golfblues
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,540 Likes on 932 Posts

I would think that some jerk will think you are flasing your brights to let him pull out. I'm not sold on the headlight modulators.

Old 10-24-2009, 08:38 AM
Softail Girl
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe you should get a jacket like the one I'm wearing in my sig picture... they really work!

Hi-Vis collection: http://www.harley-davidson.com/mcm/m...bmLocale=en_US

Old 10-24-2009, 08:44 AM
jimsflh
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It may sound dumb, but I put a 4" strip of mirrored window tint at the bottom of my windshield (Put it there to cover some scratches actually) As I'm riding along I see road sign light up in front of me from the reflection, and have had less people pull out, or turn on me. When I get her painted and put a new windshield on, I'm gonna put another mirror strip on. Definately makes me more visable day or night!

Last edited by jimsflh; 10-24-2009 at 09:02 AM.

Quick Reply: Being seen by the other guy!