General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Range of 883?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 05:56 PM
cpiad
Account Closed
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Range of 883?

I searched the forum and could'nt find a specific answer .. if its in the forum .. please pardon the ignorance of this newbie ..

What is the riding range of an 883 -- on mixed roads (city/hwy 50-50)? I've just gotten a '10 883 Sportster .. and unbenownst to me .. no fuel guage ... my 150 cc scooter had a fuel guage (didn't work .. but it had one) ...

Do you just look down into the tank and see how much fuel is there .. not so easy for a four eyed old guy ... or do you stick a wooden (clean, dry, etc) dowel into the tank to see level?

Buddy of mine said there is a reserve tank .. I'll look at the manual ... to see if there is something like that ... buddy said he used to ride until engine started to starve ... then switched a petcock valve to reserve and he'd be looking for a filling station ... that's ok ...

Thanks again.

Old 10-23-2009, 06:11 PM
NYSportster
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your '10 bike should have a low fuel light that will come on. I usually get around 120-130 miles on my 3.3 tank, maybe a little more.

Old 10-23-2009, 06:28 PM
bwana1
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

You have a 3.3 gal tank and will be getting at least 50 mpg with the 883. The lo fuel light will come on anywhere between .7 gal and 1.5 gal remaining depending on the bike, but it is consistent, meaning at whatever fuel remaining your light comes on it will do it repeatedly. As for the gas guage, use the oddometer. Fill up at 120-130 and you will always be good.

Old 10-23-2009, 06:30 PM
cpiad
Account Closed

Originally Posted by NYSportster
Your '10 bike should have a low fuel light that will come on. I usually get around 120-130 miles on my 3.3 tank, maybe a little more.
I think I need to read the darn manual ... ... a lfl would be a good thing ... I always installed those on my nitro boats ... when the light came on .. time to head for shore ...

Thanks for the reply ... 120 mile range gets me safely (if some old guy doesn't crach into me) across Alligator Alley ... and a refuel gets me to Daytona ... good 'nuf

Old 10-23-2009, 06:38 PM
VTwin-Goodies
Sponsor
Received 1,949 Likes on 1,933 Posts

We fill the sporty around 100, prior to having to switch it to reserve. Yup, old school with a carb. No low fuel light. Haven't run out yet...

Old 10-23-2009, 06:38 PM
RollaMo
Grand HDF Member
Received 517 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by cpiad
Buddy of mine said there is a reserve tank .. I'll look at the manual ... to see if there is something like that ... buddy said he used to ride until engine started to starve ... then switched a petcock valve to reserve and he'd be looking for a filling station ... that's ok ...

Thanks again.
Your bike is fuel injected, and they do NOT have a fuel petcock. So, no reserve on FI bikes.

The low fuel light took the place of reserve, and serves the same purpose (to let you know your getting low on fuel and better start looking).

Old 10-23-2009, 06:39 PM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Mine would easily go to 140.

Old 10-23-2009, 06:42 PM
faber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by RollaMo
Your bike is fuel injected, and they do NOT have a fuel petcock. So, no reserve on FI bikes.

The low fuel light took the place of reserve, and serves the same purpose (to let you know your getting low on fuel and better start looking).
Your bike has no petcock. No reserve setting.

As RollaMo says, your bike is fuel injected. If you have the 3.3 gallon tank, you low-fuel light will come on with ~1 gal. remaining. So.....for highway cruising, you should easily get no less than 50mpg.

For in-town riding, depends: but my wife gets about 40-45mpg in town.

If you have the "Custom" Sportster, your tank is larger (4.5 gal), and your low-fuel light will come on with ~1.2 gal remaining.

Old 10-23-2009, 07:12 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,807 Likes on 2,543 Posts

Use the tripmeter feature on the speedometer, every time you get gas reset to "0" . I think you are going to see just how accurate that fuel light isn't. 130 I'd be looking for fuel and yes maybe look at the owners manual.

Old 10-23-2009, 07:36 PM
cpiad
Account Closed
Default Thanks all ...

Yup ... just read the manual ... there is a lfl ... my buddy is an old schooler ... he had a carburated bike. I'll set the trip odo and use it as a psuedo fuel gage .. no sweat ... and as long as I fill up before I cross the Alley... I'll be ok. Sort of nice to keep things simple for a change ...

Quick Reply: Range of 883?