General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riding in the rain

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2009 | 06:28 AM
oldairboater
|
Ultimate HDF Member
Default Riding in the rain

On my way home from work about an hour ago. It was lightning,raining,wind blowing and very dark. We are having a turd floating-frog drowning downpour. I think to myself that I am glad I drove to work and that I haven't seen any motorcycles this morning. Next intersection there is a white gold wing with someone wearing rain gear and a white helmet. Dude is either tough, optimistic, bullet proof or dumb. I don't know the reason for his ride this morning but I tipped my hat to him. I have been caught by the rain but I never start a ride in the rain. Even in my younger, dumber and all ***** days.

Old 10-22-2009 | 06:34 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member

I have left in the rain and said to myself: Self, what the hell i s wrong with you and i say to self...Nothing, you are on your bike right? riding?

Old 10-22-2009 | 06:37 AM
gibby122
Road Captain

maybe he was just pass'n thru....? If I were supposed to take a trip today for example, and I were headed west, giving what todays forcast is, id take off in the rain like this. Ive been caught much worse, DOWN POUR, with no rain gear, on the 3 sisters, flooded water crossings, rocks and gravel across the roads in each and every corner from the rain washing it down off the cliff walls... it was bad. I dont prefer riding in it, hate getting caught in it, dont purposely ride in it, but like I said, if I had something planned and it was supposed to clear up like it is today by noon, and with such a beautiful forcast, wouldnt you strap on the rain gear and go? I would.

Old 10-22-2009 | 07:26 AM
geezer glide 56
Road Warrior

It's just liquid sunshine...As a rule I won't leave to go anywhere in the rain...But when on a trip I take the rain gear...That is all part of it...We can't control the weather...But there are times that I have actually enjoyed riding in the rain.

Old 10-22-2009 | 07:29 AM
cadman311
Club Member

I ride in the rain if you say you don't ride in the rain you just don't ride. Put the rain gear and stay dry the whole ride. I will spray waterproof spray on boots and glove rain runs off. You don't get wet from riding in the rain unless you are a dummy.

Old 10-22-2009 | 07:31 AM
jerseyjeff62
Road Warrior

takes all the enjoyment and fun out of riding that's for sure,try not to start in the rain but sometimes get caught in it.

Old 10-22-2009 | 08:08 AM
Toypuller
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

All good stories have some adversity in them.

Old 10-22-2009 | 08:45 AM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member

I have left out on a long trip when it was just raining, but NOT during a Lightning and Thunder storm. I'm just not that brave.

Old 10-22-2009 | 08:56 AM
16X9 Shooter
Cruiser

Originally Posted by oldairboater
turd floating-frog drowning downpour. .
Think I heard that same description on The Wheater Channel?

Old 10-22-2009 | 08:57 AM
genedjr
Road Captain

I am after proper gear again. Years ago, all I had was a Honda 750/4 outfitted with full vetter fairing/bags. I rode everyday, rain, shine, snow, hail - and in Colorado we get all of that.

When I picked up 'the king' in Denver and rode back to the Springs, I was caught in a spring snow storm. Icy roads are no fun, but again - I was riding.

Now I pretty much want to ride everyday. I will not start out in the snow and not ride when snow is in the forcast, but otherwise I need the theropy.

...gene

Quick Reply: Riding in the rain