General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riding in the rain

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2011 | 09:38 AM
mark10
Road Master

if you use the bike for trips, then you will eventually be in rain. did rt 66 last two weeks of june. never got rained on during the trip, but did get dripped on. looked really threatening, but managed to miss it. did put the gear on just in case.

but on other trips got major rained on. have ridden for hours in rain. not what i want to do, but what i had to do.

if you are going east, then you could very easily ride along with the storm as that is more or less the direction that storms go in.

Old 07-06-2011 | 09:52 AM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member

Well it is pouring rain right now and I have to leave on a 200 mile round trip ride on the bike. I will let you know how it goes.

Old 07-06-2011 | 10:41 AM
jlfabian
Tourer

I got caught in a down pour the other day. Had my rain gear in saddlebag. Was completely soaked before I could find a place to pull off the road (happen to be in a spot where there were no shoulders). Eventually found a parking lot and put my jacket on just to see if it worked. It was still raining very hard, but, the jacket kept me dry after that. I didn't try the pants, because it was really too late, I was already completely drenched. Jeans and a T-shirt, so it didn't matter, except for the boots.

In the south, sudden thunderstorms/rainstorms happen frequently. Sometimes you can actually get your rain gear on before you get wet, but it can be a challenge. I really do hate wet boots though.

Old 07-07-2011 | 09:42 AM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member

Well yesterdays rain was quite severe. I was going down the interstate and cars were pulling over to avoid the pea sized hail and limited visibility. My raingear kept me plenty dry, helmet kept the hail from hurting. I have a tall touring windscreen on he bike because my wife loves it because it protects her from buffeting. Well when there is a lot of rain you can not see through the thing and as tall as it is I could not see over it. The shorter windscreen is going back on the weekend.

Old 07-07-2011 | 10:49 AM
Very High Plain Drifter
Outstanding HDF Member

My scooter is my only transportation and I ride in all weathers, day in and day out into and out of central London and the surrounding area. Last two years, I've even ridden in the snow but I'm not stupid enough to do THAT anymore.

Best bit of rain gear I've found is the Pinlok visor insert. It's basically a sort of mini-visor that mounts inside the visor of appropriately prepared FF helmets that is completely clear and absorbs condensation, thus keeping your vision clearer. They work pretty well, and are a bit less revolting than spitting on the inside of your visor (which also works).

However, real men ride in torrential downpours that make you aquaplane everywhere for hours while riding a 125cc Scooter. For those of you in the colonies, thats a whole 7.5 cubic inches of MAYHEM!

Old 07-07-2011 | 10:55 AM
masterblaster
Ultimate HDF Member

I live in Fla, fully half my riding is in the rain, I don't mind riding in rain ar any weather at all, cold heat does not bother me. Lightning makes me nervous but does not deter me at all. Cat 1 hurricane is my limit though.

Old 07-07-2011 | 01:09 PM
Tony P
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by masterblaster
I live in Fla, fully half my riding is in the rain, I don't mind riding in rain ar any weather at all, cold heat does not bother me. Lightning makes me nervous but does not deter me at all. Cat 1 hurricane is my limit though.
Wuss...

Old 07-07-2011 | 01:14 PM
meatsack
Banned

What is this rain you speak of. I live in Cali

Old 07-07-2011 | 01:46 PM
Tony P
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by meatsack
What is this rain you speak of. I live in Cali
Bragger...

Old 07-07-2011 | 03:49 PM
fpdsniper
Advanced

I've been caught in the rain twice this year. I avoid it most of the time. It's just not enjoyable for me to ride in the rain. I ride for enjoyment, not necessity. Maybe that makes me a "non-biker", but I really don't care about titles anyway. Plus, cleaning the bike after riding in the rain is a pain in the ***...

Quick Reply: Riding in the rain