General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riding in the rain

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2011 | 04:58 AM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member

I check the weather radar, to the west, in the morning. If the whole state of Minnesota is covered with green, red and yellow, I leave the bike home. If it is just scattered storms, I put on the rain gear and off I go. I am 6'3", with a 34" inseam. Any one have rain pants that come in a tall size?

Old 06-23-2011 | 05:17 AM
wiredwilly
Tourer

We havent had any rain for so long and if we did have a shower its been so hot the rain would feel good. Yesterday was a different story with severe weather so i took the truck, and im glad i did because some people lost there ****ing ability to drive in the rain.

Old 06-23-2011 | 05:48 AM
carlgrover
Seasoned HDF Member

Sooner or later, you are going to get caught in the rain whether you want to or not. It's a good idea to get some rain gear and ride in it on purpose so when you are out on a big trip you won't be surprised when it rains somewhere. I've found that the most important item to have in the rain is a good shield on my FF helmet. Nothing worse than not being able to see when the rain is beating in your eyes. I've ridden in the rain with goggles over my glasses and that didn't even help when it came down real hard.

Old 06-23-2011 | 05:55 AM
MJR28
Elite HDF Member

Generally I choose not to ride in the rain. Last week I took a punt and rode thinking that the weather would hold out but Murphy's law always kicks in when you do that. Last year in Vietname I rode for 2 days in the most torrential rain you could ever find. It started raining and within 2 hours all the roads were flooded and water got up over my exhaust pipe then eventually into the airfilter and I was done. After pushing to higher ground and getting the thing dried out I got back on a different track and went again, pulling over occasionally when the rain got so heavy I couldn't see the road. It was fun at the time and a good memory but not something I choose to do regularly or on my own bike.

Old 06-23-2011 | 05:58 AM
nhbiker1961
Road Master

I rode back home from the Americade this year, 300 miles in the rain. After the first mile, you are wet and it doesn't matter. Part of the experience. The biggest problem I have in rain if stopping my glasses from fogging, other then that, I just ride.

Old 06-23-2011 | 10:22 AM
oldairboater
|
Ultimate HDF Member

I hate it when my boots start filling with water. Every rain suit I have ever owned let water in somewhere. Last time I got caught in the rain was early spring this year when it was still cool. My leather gloves which have been wet before got soaked again. The dye turned my hands a funky blue and it took days for it to finally wash off and fade.

Old 06-23-2011 | 12:06 PM
Totally Bored
Road Captain

Whatever floats your boat or bike I quess ?

Hate the rain and snow and I avoid it whenever possible. I did plenty of that kinda riding years ago when my only transportation was a motorcycle. I have a nice car and I will drive that when it rains. I don't own any rain gear and probably never will. Love riding the bike but honestly whenevr I see someone ride there bike in the rain with rain gear I think they are nuts. If that's what you guys like than that's cool.

I quess I'm just a big ***** biker : )

Old 06-23-2011 | 12:11 PM
TXSwede
Elite HDF Member

Some of us who only own motor bikes and are without the option of a covered type vehicle in the garage must get wet when it rains, cold when its cold, and roast when its hot. I am not bragging, I am actually complaining. I am not a young buck anymore, and have been looking into the whole 'car option' lately. It might be nice to have one with one of them there 'cup holder' thingies to put a cold soda in, and maybe even get one with one of them new fangled air conditioner's I've heard tell about. People here in Phoenix tell me they are kinda nice.

Old 06-23-2011 | 12:36 PM
Bob-n-Ohio
Cruiser

I never intentionally ride in the rain but have been caught in it. If you ride it's going to happen, just slow down and remember that when it first starts to rain is when the roads are the worst from the oils etc being washed off the road. Slow down, remember stopping distance will be longer and hopefully you have some kind of rain gear, otherwise pull off and get a cup of coffee and wait it out if possible!!

Old 06-23-2011 | 12:51 PM
WVHogRider
Elite HDF Member

The GF's van went into the shop on Thursday last week, and she talked me into letting her use my Suburban......Guess who has been throwing on the rain gear at some point just about everyday since because of severe pop up thunderstorms.

Actually walked in the door the other night to hear the girls say I had a smiley face on my butt.....The only places that were dry was two spots on my butt cheeks and some line going across both legs just under the cheeks. Completely soaked as I had forgotten to through my rainsuit back in the saddlebag from drying out from an earlier ride.....And this T-storm popped up during a quick ten minute ride.

Last edited by WVHogRider; 07-06-2011 at 11:04 AM.

Quick Reply: Riding in the rain