General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riding in the rain

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2009 | 04:03 PM
oldairboater
|
Ultimate HDF Member

I say neither one of you probably knows a true rider and your remarks almost sound like the start of a who is the poser thread. I know what a true rider is and riding in the rain is not necessarily a qualifier. We won't list the one off rides and rebuilds that some of what I call old school are still riding and building. Not to mention the multi state rides they are still making while approaching their seventies. That's some of my hero's. They put up with me under foot asking millions of questions while getting into their way. That was when they were building long fork choppers with pan heads. That was in the early sixties when I was a young kid.

Old 10-23-2009 | 05:02 PM
NitroShark
Road Captain

My bike is my only transportation, so I don't have much choice. Living in Phoenix means that it's not a problem most of the time, but it can't be an issue durring monsoon season and winter. They're predicting a much wetter winter for us this year so we'll see.

Only time I parked the bike and didn't ride because of weather, was when we had the most amazing electrical storm I've ever seen. That was about 6 years ago or so. People were nuts to be out in cars during that storm! That was the worst storm I've ever seen since moving to AZ. Spent that evening pulling downed trees off the road.

Old 10-24-2009 | 07:06 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member

I am not qualified to judge if somebody is a real rider/biker/poser but i know i have atrue passion for it. I ride in the rain, i have all the gear and i couldn't care less if it's raining or not. I am leaving at 10:00 this morning to meet folks and it's gonna rain...Big freakin deal.

Old 10-26-2009 | 03:28 PM
mark10
Road Master

a 'true' true rider is one that has enclosed vehicles with 4 wheels and STILL chooses to take the 2 wheel vehicle.

its the need to ride, that makes one a true rider.

Old 10-26-2009 | 07:46 PM
jad
Road Captain

It’s all part of the experience.

Attached Thumbnails Riding in the rain-img_0055.jpg   Riding in the rain-img_0050.jpg  
Old 10-26-2009 | 10:12 PM
norgepa
Road Captain

I also don't like to start a ride in the rain. If you ride you do get caught in the rain. Be Prepared. Spring and Fall in Pa I run with my weenie shield on! The shield is wiped down with Lemon Pledge, so is my 3/4 shield helmet. The lemom pledge helps shed the water just like the expensive stuff. Oh ya! Don't forget to wipe down the inside of your face shield with an anti-foggy cloth. I also carry mine in my windshield bag. It saves alot of nervous moments. Back her down a few mph and ease into corners and don't ride in the middle where the oil lays. Enjoy the ride

Attached Thumbnails Riding in the rain-hdforum-pic.jpg  
Old 10-26-2009 | 10:24 PM
tomcat0818
Cruiser

Originally Posted by norgepa
I also don't like to start a ride in the rain. If you ride you do get caught in the rain. Be Prepared. Spring and Fall in Pa I run with my weenie shield on! The shield is wiped down with Lemon Pledge, so is my 3/4 shield helmet. The lemom pledge helps shed the water just like the expensive stuff. Oh ya! Don't forget to wipe down the inside of your face shield with an anti-foggy cloth. I also carry mine in my windshield bag. It saves alot of nervous moments. Back her down a few mph and ease into corners and don't ride in the middle where the oil lays. Enjoy the ride
Hey, that's some pretty cool looking rain gear in that pic. Especially the hat; I've still not been able to figger out how to manage one of those over 15mph on the bike.

Old 10-28-2009 | 07:52 PM
norgepa
Road Captain

Thanks TomCat ! Yea, That photo was for the girls. I can't figure out how to keep it on either. Maybe this pic could work out better.

Attached Thumbnails Riding in the rain-coolrunnings.jpg  
Old 06-17-2011 | 09:58 AM
Drac 1
Cruiser

I only willingly once started out in the rain. They have this big yearly party up here at a local dealership and I said I'll be dammed if I was gonna take my car..I bumped in several others that had the same mindset..We rode in together..The owner applauded us..

Old 06-17-2011 | 12:50 PM
Hot Rod King
Tourer

not a fan of riding in the rain but if I get caught in it... I get caught in it. I wouldnt start off in it when its pouring though

Quick Reply: Riding in the rain