General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riding in the rain

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2009 | 06:40 PM
Greenfed
Tourer

I learned over the years (especially, while serving in the military as a ground pounder) that there's a very thin line between hardcore and stupid. If it feels like a stupid thing to do, it probably is.

Old 10-22-2009 | 06:44 PM
EdwardK
Road Warrior

I rode in this morning in what is probably the same storm the OP mentioned. Since my daughter totalled my car, my bike is my ride. Rain, shine, whatever. I've ridden in tropical storms, floods, hail, ice, you name it. You get used to it and as long as you ride within your limits and keep good tires on it, your good to go.

There's a saying in Texas. " If you don't like the weather, just wait a little while."

You have to be prepared for rain, no matter what the weather man says in the morning.

Old 10-22-2009 | 08:43 PM
themensh
Ultimate HDF Member

Ride in the rain....don't ride in the rain....Blah-blah-blah.
I belonged to a group one time.....and we had a 'covered dish' dinner. It was cold and rainy. I rode my bike and arrived at the club house with a very nice "texas style lasagna'
in the tour pack.....I was spoken to by a couple and they said I was "Crazy" to ride my bike. I simply said "I thought this was a bike club?" I left my lasagna and rode of...in the cold and rain.
I have ridden snowmobiles years ago.....and I don't think I have ridden a bike in any weather close to that. I have fished off a boat...in weather worse than I have ridden in.
You don't want to ride? Don't.
Don't 'tip your hat' to me....unless you want my lasagna recipe (fat chance).

Old 10-22-2009 | 11:32 PM
Tralfaz
Road Master

Originally Posted by gibby122
maybe he was just pass'n thru....?
My wife and I were on a road trip recently and it rained on the way into New Orleans, and the morning we were leaving it started pouring when we were in a McDonalds getting her breakfast. I didn't know how long it would last, so we just took off in it. I put my foot down in 5 inches of water when I stopped to exit the parking lot, but then 15 minutes down the highway the rain disappeared and it was sunny most of the way to Houston.

I'll say that, if I have a weekend roadtrip planned and it's raining I'll probably skip taking off since I prefer to ride in nice weather. However, I've had it start pouring on my way home from work, or it's started raining on a road trip I'm already on and I try to not let that stop me.

Old 10-22-2009 | 11:53 PM
dope_man_21
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by oldairboater
I don't know the reason for his ride this morning but I tipped my hat to him. I have been caught by the rain but I never start a ride in the rain. Even in my younger, dumber and all ***** days.
Maybe this guy has only the bike as his method of travel,...I know that if I have to go anywhere I have to ride the bike. Rain, cold, freezing, it doesn't matter, if you have to, you have to.

Old 10-23-2009 | 12:54 AM
Mr Haus
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by NSCoyote
I m insane apparently, i dotn care if its raining, lightening, snowing or the gods decide to start throwing cows from the heavens ...
I live in AZ... and it only rains about 4 times a year... and this year I got caught in about 4 of them. I can't seem to justify buying rain gear because of the few times it rains. I got caught in a bad rain storm coming down a mountain from Prescott Valley to Phoenix one day. I rode safe and I was soaked but it was still fun.

Old 10-23-2009 | 02:41 AM
MOSTWANTED
Road Captain

I ride in the rain quite a bit. The only thing that worries me is when it's dark out and I am in the city in the rain. You can't see very far in front of you and you never know when someone might have lost something on the road and you can't see it.

Old 10-23-2009 | 06:21 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member

I invested $150.00 IN A HD Overpass rain suit this year and i will ride in it if it warrants...If i stayed home because it's gonna rain or is raining i would never ride...I always carry it with me...Always.

Old 10-23-2009 | 02:42 PM
Voony
Outstanding HDF Member

One might say a true rider is one that rides no matter the weather right? :-)

Old 10-23-2009 | 03:18 PM
BWLucky13
Road Master

I say a true rider is one that has no vehicles with more than two wheels. That makes the go/no go decisions a lot easier to make.

Quick Reply: Riding in the rain