General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riding in the rain

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2009 | 09:04 AM
faber
Ultimate HDF Member

If I started editing my activities and schedule based on the weather, life in Montana would be pretty schitty.

Recently I bought a Harley rainsuit (the grey one) and it is great. I commute in it and have gone for a few long rides in it so far.

The wet roads make me cautious, but I still enjoy the ride.

NBD

Old 10-22-2009 | 09:12 AM
Dragan
Tourer

I think that good quality rain gear, and getting in the habit of carrying it with you, is critical to how you look at riding in the rain.

Before I had good rain gear, I hated it. Hated the way even a light rain would soak you to the bone in seconds, how it would turn a pleasant day temperature wise into a test of endurance and survival. I now have really good rain gear ( hit a sale at the local H-D dealer, and had an in store credit that made it free), and it has a permanent spot in my saddlebags. If it looks like it's going to rain, I ALWAYS stop before the rain begins, and put it on. Now, I enjoy the feeling of being completely dry, warm and comfortable regardless of how hard its raining. I actually enjoy riding in the rain to a degree....not always, but most of the time.

My wife and I recently made a 600 km trip through the Rocky Mountains in POURING rain, that changed from rain to snow repeatedly. 5 hours of downpour and the rain gear combined with the heated jacket liner kept us both dry and warm. Every time we stopped for gas we had someone say something to the effect of us being a lot more hardcore than they were; it's got nothing to do with being hardcore. I'm middle-aged, a skinny cancer survivor that walks with a cane. I AM a long time rider that has been there and done that, and now I go there and do that, WITH good gear. Makes all the difference in the world.

Old 10-22-2009 | 09:56 AM
phillyrube
Road Warrior

WHAT?????????? You mean there are Harley guys who ride in the rain? Jus joking! People look at my bike and ask why there is rust inside some of the hexhead bolts. "
Cause I ride my bike, it's not a garage trophy!!! heheheheh

Old 10-22-2009 | 10:10 AM
Kabear
Grand HDF Member

I believe it is the Norweigens that say "There is no such thing as poor weather, only poor clothing."

The wife and I will ride in the rain no problem, just came back from Birmingham in rain the whole ride 385mi.

I have the cheapest rainsuit HD makes and she has the cheapest reainsuit Easyriders makes. Hers is best because it has pockets. Both under $100 at least when we bought them. Only problem is I'm to fat to put it on easily and sometimes need a little help. A pair of gators put on first keeps boots and feet dry.

Just remember it takes a little longer to warm-up the tires, after that rock-on.

Old 10-22-2009 | 10:37 AM
Tony P
Seasoned HDF Member

I left Atlanta for Daytona last Wednesday and the conditions were not ideal to say the least... Thank God for that expensive H-D rain suit and rain boots. Not only did it keep me dry, but it kept me warm on the return trip when I was short on cold weather gear.

Old 10-22-2009 | 11:56 AM
binkley2
Intermediate

In my military days in Germany, I had a BMW 740. I rode it rain, shine, snow, etc. Cant say I would still be willing to leave in the rain, but I am an optimist, if there is any chance of a good day, I will take the scooter to work and hope for the best. Get caught in my liquid optimism (rain) all the time.

Old 10-22-2009 | 12:06 PM
slick10
Road Master

I still ride in all kinds of weather. I will not start a ride in the snow, but over the years have been caught in snow storms, hail, sleet and rain. It's the pits for sure. I had to be over at my Indy's last Friday and rode the 25 miles in a thunder storm. Probably not the smartest thing, but when you need to be there, you need to be there! The wife won't start a ride in the rain, but I still don't have any brains!

Last edited by slick10; 10-22-2009 at 12:13 PM.
Old 10-22-2009 | 12:53 PM
FastHoss
Elite HDF Member

We need more of that sig pic tony.Don't know about the Goldwing connection,but I ride to work about everyday unless it is a monsoon when I am ready to leave the house.There is a fella that works at a pipe company that rides his new wing no matter what,I can hardley wait to see if he rides it on a snowy or icy morning.

Old 10-22-2009 | 12:54 PM
scoteh
Club Member

I don't like lightning. That'll get me off the scoot pretty quickly. I'm not in that big of a hurry to go anywhere. Rain happens.

Old 10-22-2009 | 01:03 PM
Tony P
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by FastHoss
We need more of that sig pic tony.Don't know about the Goldwing connection,but I ride to work about everyday unless it is a monsoon when I am ready to leave the house.There is a fella that works at a pipe company that rides his new wing no matter what,I can hardley wait to see if he rides it on a snowy or icy morning.
I took that last Friday behind the Gas Station on Main Street, Daytona Beach. You should see the one's where her top comes off...

Quick Reply: Riding in the rain