General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trickle Chargers: Which one?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 09:05 AM
crashin
Road Captain
Received 16 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a battery tender. Cost me about $30 and has worked great simple and easy to use.

Old 10-21-2009, 09:13 AM
RCB
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Battery Tender been using one for 6 to 7 years now. No Problems.

Old 10-21-2009, 09:18 AM
obonaven
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by piasspj
I have been using a couple of Schumachers chargers/maintainers. They weren't too expensive. Unfortunately I haven't been able to find extra pigtails.

Think I'm going to go with Battery Tender brand, easy to get extensions and extra pigtails.

Huh? I may be missing your point but the leads are the same and can be used on other chargers.

I have the Harley pigtail on the battery and use it with the Walmart tender.

Old 10-21-2009, 09:26 AM
Ultra110
Road Captain

Tractor Supply and Wal Mart carry the same tender. Shumacher brand I think. The pigtails are the same and are a standard pigtail you can pick up at a decent auto parts chain if you need more than one. I made up a set of jumper cables that will plug right into the pigtail on my bike with clips on the other end.

Old 10-21-2009, 09:39 AM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 339 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by obonaventure
Huh? I may be missing your point but the leads are the same and can be used on other chargers.

I have the Harley pigtail on the battery and use it with the Walmart tender.
Originally Posted by Ultra110
Tractor Supply and Wal Mart carry the same tender. Shumacher brand I think. The pigtails are the same and are a standard pigtail you can pick up at a decent auto parts chain if you need more than one. I made up a set of jumper cables that will plug right into the pigtail on my bike with clips on the other end.
Funny, the pigtails connectors on both of my Schumachers are completely different style than the Battery Tenders. These have the white plastic connectors but are the opposite gender from the ones I find in autoparts stores and on other brands of chargers. (I can plug my chargers into other chargers and my pigtails into other pigtails, not that I'd ever want to).
I bought a cheap charger once mainly to get a pigtails, it was opposite gender from my chargers so I cut the cord off it to make a pigtail.

Old 10-21-2009, 09:41 AM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 339 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by Ultra110
I'd be careful trying to jumpstart using the charging wires. That kind of current will fry the little wires.

Old 10-21-2009, 09:45 AM
Big Sled
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Received 8,425 Likes on 4,354 Posts

The Opti-Mate maintainer with the desulfater mode and function lights is primo. Costs maybe $60.

Saw that Harbor Freight's "maintainer" is now $4.99. Nothing that costs $4.99 is going into any of my bikes' elect. systems. As someone implied, all sorts of vendors are starting to use crap electronics again... mainly Chinese.

Old 10-21-2009, 09:50 AM
matt25
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have a cheap battery tender jr works great. i have a connection on every bike and car i own. in the winter i rotate it from machine to machine every 3 days or so. i guess i should just buy another couple but why when what i have works.

also harley battery tender is the exact same thing as the battery tender jr. and cost more. of course.

Old 10-21-2009, 09:55 AM
obonaven
Road Master

Originally Posted by piasspj
Funny, the pigtails connectors on both of my Schumachers are completely different style than the Battery Tenders. These have the white plastic connectors but are the opposite gender from the ones I find in autoparts stores and on other brands of chargers. (I can plug my chargers into other chargers and my pigtails into other pigtails, not that I'd ever want to).
I bought a cheap charger once mainly to get a pigtails, it was opposite gender from my chargers so I cut the cord off it to make a pigtail.
You must have: http://store.schumachermart.com/mc-1.html

I have: http://store.schumachermart.com/sem-1562a.html

Old 10-21-2009, 10:12 AM
hullhorr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 184 Likes on 182 Posts

I use the HD trickle. The bike came with the pigtail already hooked up so $30.00 and never an issue.

Quick Reply: Trickle Chargers: Which one?