General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what happens to a bike over winter

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 09:39 AM
mark10
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
Default what happens to a bike over winter

i know this has been addressed before, but i am interested in approaching more from what happens it you don't.................................

add to or correct where necessary

- the cold doesn't inherently hurt anything, but the change in temperature can leave some condensation on parts of the bike forming rust, etc..
- the tires sitting on cold cement for extended periods can get flat or low on air
both these points can be lessened by storing the bike on something other than cement. plywood sheets are good.

having air movement, a small fan, will help dissipate the condensation. adding a work light near the bike will also help with the condensation.
any cover should be a breathable cover. covering the bike helps to keep dust off it.

- just leaving the battery in the bike without using the bike for extended periods of time will drain the battery and either shorten its life or make it unusable.

best is probably to remove the battery and store in a warm place. next best is to disconnect and keep it on a trickle charge . keeping a trickle charge is the most important.

old oil isn't that good for a bike that sits.
change the oil before it sits. by putting in new oil, you remove any moisture and impurities that would sit in your bike.

gas that sits for a long time can do damage.
filling the tank up removes space for condensation which can rust parts. usiing a solution in the gasoline (sea foam for example) helps to keep the gas fresh and the various parts clean. add the solution to a full tank and run the engine for awhile to assure that the solution has made it to all parts. you can kinda tell if it has when the exhaust starts to smell different.

dirt on the bike can hurt.
by putting the bike away dirty, with mud, bugs or other junk on it can leave spotting, and corrosive materials on the bike. clean it up before putting it away.

i think that might cover most areas. at least what i could think of. but i am wondering if things like tire pressure is important when storing or what pressure you should put in shocks. is it real bad to not have the bike up straight.

let me know your thoughts.

Old 10-20-2009, 09:45 AM
Coolbreeze
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Good stuff but...

Normally my bike never sits through the winter. We get some really nice days even in the middle of it. Location, Location, Location!

Old 10-20-2009, 10:15 AM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 883 Likes on 439 Posts

Change the oil to 10W-40 in November, plug in heated gear, ride all winter.

Old 10-20-2009, 10:37 AM
cadman311
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I will spray some WD-40 on the engine if they put salt on the roads wash it down after highway rides. Put more spray wax on the bike as it's faster to keep it clean that way. Ride my bike year around but keep off the ice.

Old 10-20-2009, 10:48 AM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,132 Likes on 1,030 Posts

Im lucky down here. My bikes get ridden more in the winter than in summer.

Old 10-20-2009, 11:39 AM
brutalbrad
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I tend to try and ride it through out Fall and Winter when the weather is ridable. "No rain or ice or snow"
-Bike never sits long enough to drain the battery.
-I will most likely change the Oil in November.
-Gas tank is only 3.3 gallons I go through it fast
-Condensation?? I have never had a problem. just park it in my garage.

I had a friend that bought a Harley from the dealer and got talked into some plastic bubble.

Old 10-20-2009, 12:56 PM
carlgrover
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,267 Likes on 1,311 Posts

Another thing that happens to a bike over the winter (or any that is left sitting for extended periods of time) is that the seals and gaskets get dry and can start to leak. Might not happen over just one winter but over longer periods it is more likely.

For winter storage, just adding a fuel stabilizer to the gas isn't enough. The engine needs to be run so that the stabilizer can make it's way into the entire fuel system.

I can ride nearly year round. It gets a little dicey in January and February but I make a point to ride in order to keep my bikes from drying out.

Old 10-20-2009, 01:17 PM
gunner11
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Mine doesn't sit long enough for any of that to happen.

Old 10-20-2009, 01:26 PM
genedjr
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Exactly how long do you expect the bike to sit? 30 days? 60 days?
Search on winterizing and storage and see what you get.
...gene

Old 10-20-2009, 01:33 PM
Oregon Deuce
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Even up here in the great north wet theres enough dry days to get the scoot out all thru the winter. Although my bike is always parked on carpet with a bettery tender.

Quick Reply: what happens to a bike over winter