General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tickets issued at rallies and events

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 03:26 PM
bigskyhd
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 5 Posts

He's lucky that when the LEO handed him the ticket for pipes, he didn't smell the alcohol and get him for that. My days of drinking and riding are in the rear view mirror. Not judging here, just sayin' it's not for me anymore.

Old 10-21-2009, 05:06 PM
Johnnyiroc
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If they could force out of state residents to wear a helmet, there would be helmet stores at every interstate welcome center and there would be signs saying Helmet on..its the law, bla bla bla, Never seen one of those signs yet in any state.

Another thing is there is no list of approved helmets on most state statutes making the law vague, if your the D.A. cannot prove your helmet does not comply or pass FMVSS 218 test standards, he has no evidence to say it is a legal helmet or not. They have to prove it isnt. They have to meet the burden of proof, I bet he can't.

federal law supercedes state law too, so they cant make up their own bullshit as far as acceptable helmets go. They should be going by FMVSS 218

Last edited by Johnnyiroc; 10-21-2009 at 05:22 PM.
Old 10-21-2009, 05:39 PM
Scrappy
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by skydrifter
"It is unconstitutional for a law to make you buy a helmet just to drive thru Missouri"
Good luck with that one.I don't think you can get a way with not wearing a helmet in state requires a helmet just because your state does not require one.
Actually, MO and most states law just says "protective head gear" and that the state director will put together a list of acceptable items, however no such list exists. So with that being said, my bandanna is very protective from the sun. The law is very vague and very beatable.

Old 10-21-2009, 05:41 PM
Scrappy
Advanced

Originally Posted by Johnnyiroc
If they could force out of state residents to wear a helmet, there would be helmet stores at every interstate welcome center and there would be signs saying Helmet on..its the law, bla bla bla, Never seen one of those signs yet in any state.

Another thing is there is no list of approved helmets on most state statutes making the law vague, if your the D.A. cannot prove your helmet does not comply or pass FMVSS 218 test standards, he has no evidence to say it is a legal helmet or not. They have to prove it isnt. They have to meet the burden of proof, I bet he can't.

federal law supercedes state law too, so they cant make up their own bullshit as far as acceptable helmets go. They should be going by FMVSS 218
Sorry, should have read a few more posts before posting my last. Pretty much the same thing.

Old 10-22-2009, 02:44 PM
yoacedeuce
Cruiser

Originally Posted by skydrifter
"It is unconstitutional for a law to make you buy a helmet just to drive thru Missouri"
Good luck with that one.I don't think you can get a way with not wearing a helmet in state requires a helmet just because your state does not require one.
Like i said earlier i wouldn't put it past LE or a judge to say, you should look up the laws in any state you are passing through, the whole "ignorance isn't an excuse" ordeal. Don't know if it would hold up, but I could see someone saying that.

Last edited by yoacedeuce; 10-22-2009 at 02:45 PM. Reason: spelling correction :)
Old 10-22-2009, 03:36 PM
ToastedGoat
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If they see you riding through Mo. with no helmet they can and sometimes will pull you over and issue you a ticket....even if you are out of state. I have a biker mag around here somewhere, that has an article about a NFL player getting stopped in Columbia MO. for no helmet. The story goes that they couldn't find one his size ..they let him off with a borrowed football helmet from the college (he was riding in for some Alumni thing at the school).

When I was still in the MC. We always carried helmets with us just for states that required helmets.

Old 10-22-2009, 04:40 PM
yoacedeuce
Cruiser

Lol, i just pictured beefed up Jack Nicholson.

Old 10-22-2009, 05:17 PM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,132 Likes on 1,030 Posts

Originally Posted by yoacedeuce
Lol, i just pictured beefed up Jack Nicholson.
MYSELF!..............."Oooooooh, have I got a helmet"!

Old 10-22-2009, 06:59 PM
Johnnyiroc
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, here it is illegal to drive in the left lane of an interstate unless you are passing....Guess what every day people are using it just like the right lane. Going slow in the left lane holding up 25 cars at 60 mph. Hardly anyone knows the law exist, but cops dont do anything about it. How would anyone from out of state know? It isnt posted? Its not a law everywhere....maybe next time they should get on their pda while driving and google it? Ahhh. my rant is over.

Old 10-22-2009, 09:37 PM
joe07
Novice

there is one at the last rest stop on I64 going into st. louis from IL, had to stop there and put on rain gear once and saw it.

Originally Posted by Johnnyiroc

Quick Reply: Tickets issued at rallies and events