General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tickets issued at rallies and events

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 02:19 PM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnnyiroc
It is unconstitutional for a law to make you buy a helmet just to drive thru Missouri, if you are a resident from Illinois passing thru. If you move there you are open game.

What amendment covers that?

Old 10-20-2009, 03:26 PM
yoacedeuce
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by xxxflhrci
What amendment covers that?
I don't know about that, i think they would still ticket you, then tell you if you don't want to buy a helmet to ride through Missouri, then find an alternate route...now give us our money.

Crap, i meant to quote JohnnyIroc ... whoops

Old 10-20-2009, 06:10 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,838 Likes on 2,548 Posts

My brother-in-law sitting at a light on US1 in South Daytona, raps his pipes because he sees two Volusia County motor LEO's refueling, thinking he'll get away with it. Well, one of the LEO's walks over to the traffic and motions the brother-in-law to the gas station for a ticket for loud pipes. Yep, you can't fix stupid.

Old 10-20-2009, 06:22 PM
C O L E M A N F U
Road Captain

During bike events I have see all kinds of ****. I have see em waving people over as they pull out of Iron Horse for no clear glasses at night or none at all. Just standing in the middle and wave you in as you pull put. How about getting pulled over on a Segway on Main St.. Bike Week burnouts on Main St were very common back in the day. After the crack down some still did em or did not get the word. During that week I saw a cop slap a cuff on a guys throttle wrist mid burnout. That cop was soooooo pissed. I booed with everyone else.
I only got one ticket on Main St. and one on the beach and 2 others for speeding and one for out of state tag. Just part of livin in Daytona. Not as many in the truck?

Old 10-20-2009, 06:37 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,239 Likes on 1,850 Posts

A NY state trooper just quoted today, "Loud pipes don't save lives, loud pipes destroy rights."

Yes, I had to sit through a traffic safety conference today where he was a presenter for effective motorcycle enforcement.

Old 10-20-2009, 08:30 PM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,132 Likes on 1,030 Posts

Originally Posted by dawg
A NY state trooper just quoted today, "Loud pipes don't save lives, loud pipes destroy rights."

Yes, I had to sit through a traffic safety conference today where he was a presenter for effective motorcycle enforcement.
That's about as bad as things could get.

Old 10-20-2009, 08:41 PM
brutalbrad
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Disclaimer: By reading this article and finding it mildly amusing; it does not constitute any rights on your part to drink and drive. Nor shall it constitute any rights on your part to install non DOT approved exhaust systems on your Harley.

Thanks for the disclaimer wasn't sure. from the story I thought you suggest to get out and drink and drive with loud pipes : )

This law falls into the bucket of laws certain towns pass to make them money. They can issue the tickets most will just pay it and not change a thing. DB should not be enforced on motorcycles

Old 10-20-2009, 08:45 PM
brutalbrad
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

There are a lot of things I just don't get... So I guess I will just have to add to the log list of things I don't get with "Loud pipes destroy rights." what was the explaination for this??

Old 10-21-2009, 02:26 PM
yoacedeuce
Cruiser

Funny, because a couple months ago i was riding down a pretty busy street in Dallas/Plano, TX and this guy in a jacked up truck was driving in the left lane, i was in his blindspot (he couldn't see me even if i was right next to the door) in the center lane, he turned his blinker on to indicate that he was going to change lanes, so i backed down so he could change lanes, but he wouldn't, so i changed to the left lane. At the next stoplight he pulls up next to me and says, damn i knew i heard a bike somewhere around me but couldn't figure out where you were, i didn't want to change lanes until I could find you. So i call Bulls**t on that LEOs comment.

Old 10-21-2009, 02:52 PM
skydrifter
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnnyiroc
Here out of state registered vehicles do not have to comply with out laws if the equipment is legal in their home state.

Tinted windows, here you cant have any tint on the front, or front sides. If you are registered in another state, they cant ticket you for it. Same goes for handle bars heights, and helmets. It is unconstitutional for a law to make you buy a helmet just to drive thru Missouri, if you are a resident from Illinois passing thru. If you move there you are open game.
As far as loud pipes go, they are illegal in every state, how it is measured is what varies...
"It is unconstitutional for a law to make you buy a helmet just to drive thru Missouri"
Good luck with that one.I don't think you can get a way with not wearing a helmet in state requires a helmet just because your state does not require one.

Last edited by skydrifter; 10-21-2009 at 02:57 PM.

Quick Reply: Tickets issued at rallies and events