General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wife crashed twice on her first day riding!

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 09:21 AM
osirisdean
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Nellybelle
Don't forget to tell her to keep her head up looking out about 100 yards. Do not look down.
when i took the class my instructor would yell at us every time he caught us looking at the controls. at the time i thought he was being a d!ck but it made a HUGE difference both in awareness and confidence.

i think little things like this are why taking the MSF course (or its equivalent) is so important: an experienced rider forgets what it's like to be a newbie, so many subtle-but-important topics are just glanced over (or skipped entirely) instead of being drilled. having personal instruction from a friend/family member is great, but the MSF course probably does a better job of going the perfect speed (pardon the pun) for beginners, and hits all those easily-forgotten topics.

(i do think it's great that the OP is helping his gal learn to ride, i dont mean to steal his thunder there. )

Old 10-23-2009, 11:43 AM
1Coastie
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok... just thought I'd update everybody on our newest rider / soon to me member's progress.
She passed her written exam yesterday and got her MC permit, and I stopped by the airport the other day on the way home from work and ask if we could borrow the runway, they said we could..... cool.
And last but certainly not least, she goes to MSF class this comming Tues. - Wed.
I'm looking forward to our first ride together!

Old 10-29-2009, 08:08 PM
1Coastie
Road Master

Wife update! She passed MSF, and is riding around the neighborhood, doing great!
wont be long before that first ride together.

Old 10-29-2009, 08:46 PM
MollyDoll
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Curt1953
Did much better than my wife. First time on her Nightster she drops it coming to a stop forgetting to pull the clutch back in, my fault for not telling her that part. We both take the MSF course and she got coached out cause she couldn't keep up with the rest of the class. Sorry the MSF we had didn't have much patients.
I'm doing the MSF class as private lessons. It is only working out about $150 more than the regular group class, and I still go to the classroom portion.

Old 10-29-2009, 09:22 PM
Whiskers
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 46 Posts

She'll be the best riding partner you'll ever have!

Old 11-01-2009, 04:31 PM
WWECOUGAR
Road Master

She needs a real riding course. She made the same mistake twice, crashing twice. Not a good sign. Not being critical, just don't wanna hear about her broken bones when she really gets up to speed. MSF course will do wonders. Good luck, hope she sticks with it.