General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SeaVan/Container.........NE'ER thought o' it...

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 12:56 PM
mduggan
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used to know a guy in Orange Park, Florida that cut a hole in one and installed a 7000 BTU window unit air conditioner. He also wired it for interior lighting. It was a great out-building. His was painted brown and placed in amongst some pine trees. Nobody cared.

Old 10-19-2009, 12:58 PM
Grammaton
Road Master

They aren't air-tight, but could be made that way with a bit of welding. If you live near a port they're fairly cheap, but getting them off the truck still requires a crane.

Old 10-19-2009, 01:08 PM
obonaven
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe have it elevated a foot or so.....

My wife's Aunt had a trailer (from a tractor/trailer) in their back yard. They had the space for it so it was out of the way and far from the house. It was painted green and masked with pine trees. Very inconspicuous. They had a set of steps going up to it. This thing was huge inside.

Old 10-19-2009, 01:09 PM
Jon H
Road Master

Just a question here: Since they are made of metal, would the sides transfer the heat or cold of the outside temp, and make condensation on the inside?
I've loaded some, but they were up on trailers. Don't really remember if the insides were wet or not.
If the container was at ground level, would they have more of a chance to get condensation?
Jon

Edit add: see post directly above this one. Seems like a little air under it would help a lot.

Old 10-19-2009, 01:19 PM
o/d
Tourer
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

a freind of mine has one on his property. he stores his harley in it among other things.
as mentioned, it usually seems kinda damp in there.

another thing to keep in mind is the potential for having to jockey stuff around to get something behind it out - as they are long & somewhat narrow.

Old 10-19-2009, 01:54 PM
GeorgiaGirl
Madame Moderator
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

The bikes where I took my MSF course were all stored in an older container like this. Have even seen a few peeps get them to use for hay storage on farms before getting their barns done or as additional storage space. Not the prettiest things to look at but serviceable.

Old 10-19-2009, 01:59 PM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SleeplessinVegas
Most of the sea containers have vent holes near the top at the corners, but don't quess the desiccant could hurt. They almost resemble a shed when covered with T-11 siding and painted. In this area they sell at the auctions for minimum of $2500.
Originally Posted by piasspj
I was looking into getting one of them. Shipping it to me was going to cost more than building a shed of similar size.

THAT'$$$ what I was thinkin' !!!!! My 'guess' is, the guy who called me, has access to these critters, where he works.

Old 10-19-2009, 02:00 PM
Silvertip
Cruiser

Spray foam the inside, and maybe line it with plywood will take care of any condensation. There are hundreds of them up here where I live. The storage places rent them as portable storage lockers.

Old 10-19-2009, 02:05 PM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 339 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by Da Gumpmeister
THAT'$$$ what I was thinkin' !!!!! My 'guess' is, the guy who called me, has access to these critters, where he works.
If they are close by, or if you can arrange a deal on shipping it might work out. The ones I was looking at were 120 miles away. I haven't found anyone selling them closer.

Old 10-19-2009, 02:09 PM
EasternSP
Banned

Received 24,867 Likes on 9,332 Posts

I have seen the 20 foot storage containers that the long side was hinged to lay down or prop up. Perhaps cutting one up to only open a 10 foot door on the long side would be better.

Quick Reply: SeaVan/Container.........NE'ER thought o' it...