General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another stripped Torx bolt

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2006, 11:57 PM
12Stones
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Another stripped Torx bolt

I see most people having problems with the torx on the primary covers but mine's a little larger. Doing a turn signal relocation on the front signals, I stripped the pinch screw in the fork bracket. The first one came out pretty easily but the second one wouldn't budge. I stopped before it got too bad, but I'm gonna need to do something else. The Torx bit is unaffected so it's not the tool that's the problem. The Craftsman extractors that I have are too brittle so I can't use them. So, what can I do to get this out?

Old 07-02-2006, 12:51 AM
wolf1477
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Another stripped Torx bolt

Well, I'm fond of the Snap-On EZOuts, throw 'em in a drill, throw the drill in reverse and bam, the bolt's out.

Altho, if the Crapsman extractors are along those lines, then I'm not sure. I've had luck grinding a slot across the heads of screws/bolts and using a standard screwdriver to get 'em out. But, I've never tried getting pinchbolts out, so not sure if the head of it's readily accessable to a small die grinder or file to try it.

Good luck, I hate it when a quick 30 minute procedure turns into a day and a half project.

Old 07-02-2006, 01:05 AM
Wally
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I would get a helpere and while pushing hard in and turning the tool, get the helper to hit the end of the tool with a hammer to maybe loosen the screw. JMO hope it works.

Old 07-02-2006, 01:27 AM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,296 Likes on 483 Posts

Squirt the li'l turds down with some rust-buster, whatever brand twists yer shorts. Let 'em set overnight, then take a propane torch and heat 'em up some. Then whack 'em with a hammer, and try 'em then.

Old 07-02-2006, 01:28 AM
raftgyde
Road Master

To start with, put the first one back in snug. The second one probably got tighter after you pulled the first one. I've found an impact driver (the kind you hit with a hammer) works on a lot of things like this.

Old 07-02-2006, 01:34 AM
12Stones
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: raftgyde

To start with, put the first one back in snug. The second one probably got tighter after you pulled the first one. I've found an impact driver (the kind you hit with a hammer) works on a lot of things like this.
Tried it with the bolt back in...didn't work.

ORIGINAL: pococj

Squirt the li'l turds down with some rust-buster, whatever brand twists yer shorts. Let 'em set overnight, then take a propane torch and heat 'em up some. Then whack 'em with a hammer, and try 'em then.
I'll pick some up tomorrow. Torch is gonna take some gettin' though cause I ain't got one and ain't got the money to get one right now. Thanks Skip.

Old 07-02-2006, 01:50 AM
udnudn
Cruiser

No torch -- how bout a heat gun. You don't need a full blown cuttin torch. Home Depot or WalMart - get the the disposable bottle and torch head. I'd definitely put some soak to it first.

Old 07-02-2006, 02:05 AM
Harley Al
Road Captain

I don't mean to interrupt here, but try the shock method...put the torx bit in the machine bolt / screw and tap it with care! plus use a lube to help penetrate. I know you know what I mean

Ride Safe!

Old 07-02-2006, 03:59 AM
gottaguy
Cruiser

use some penetrating oil. oddly enough the best off the shelf stuff i've come across is from ace (it's the place) yello & white spray can. works quick. i would stay away from propane, it'll bubble the clear off the lower tree. heat shrink gun worked around th einside of the tree where the bolt is actually threaded into might help. that and using one of those impact units.
if that fails try using an allen wrench. metric or standard which ever one fits the tightest while using a hammer to tap bottom it in the torx.
one thing i have found is you need to seat the torx bit into the hardware with a tap of your hammer. they never seem to grab real well.
another reason to change out to allen (socket) head bolts

Old 07-02-2006, 05:11 AM
Coyote72
Advanced

You can get a Drimmel Tool ...It has grinders, sanders, Buffers, and only $30 - $150....Mine was $30, battery operated and has about 50 accessories to grind bolts, break chains, whatever, If I spent more, it would probably last longer than 10 minutes,,,Get a plug in one...

Quick Reply: Another stripped Torx bolt